Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Wide Glide riser extension

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 AM
fra107
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, i will receive the riser extension and rubber bushing in the next days.....
I'd like to know if i need to buy torque wrench or i can mount the bolts without a torque wrench.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 AM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with Spacer Jims 2" riser extensions. Longer bolts included. Plenty of slack in the wiring and brake line. Also changed out the rubber bushings for poly.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:25 AM
fra107
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chase1961
I went with Spacer Jims 2" riser extensions. Longer bolts included. Plenty of slack in the wiring and brake line. Also changed out the rubber bushings for poly.
Thanks for your reply Chase, can you answer to my last question please?

Originally Posted by fra107
Hi guys, i will receive the riser extension and rubber bushing in the next days.....
I'd like to know if i need to buy torque wrench or i can mount the bolts without a torque wrench.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2015, 10:12 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by fra107

Thanks

I didn't use a torque wrench when I did my wife's. Make it good and tight and you should be fine. I double check them from time to time and they have stayed snug. You could put blue Loctite to make sure if you would like.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a torque wrench, and after it "clicked" I gave it a bit more.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Steve Jones Harley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are Harley or other polyurethane bushings going to be as good/solid as solid chrome bushings for the risers ? My bars feel loose and have been advised on the MOT that the rubber bushings are poor, bike has only done 2000 miles, I'm going to put 2 inch risers as per tincups on the bike. Also, is it dangerous as is until I replace the bushings ?

Old 11-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Steve Jones Harley
Intermediate

Tincup / Chase, how many inches would you say that the risers make the bars come back towards you as well as raising them ?

Old 11-28-2015, 12:27 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jones Harley
Are Harley or other polyurethane bushings going to be as good/solid as solid chrome bushings for the risers ? My bars feel loose and have been advised on the MOT that the rubber bushings are poor, bike has only done 2000 miles, I'm going to put 2 inch risers as per tincups on the bike. Also, is it dangerous as is until I replace the bushings ?
The taller your risers or bars the more leverage and the more you'll notice the movement, they're not dangerous unless they break down or are damaged; but even when new they're just sloppy, something I'm not a fan of, I don't care for slop or too much freeplay in the throttle either Just be certain your riser bolts are tight. The HD rubber bushings are rather poor quality, poly bushings are much better and solids are the best in my opinion. I use solids on all my HD's and don't notice any increase in vibrations in the bars. If you can't locate solids the poly bushings will be a great step up from the rubber bushings but solids are just that, the risers/bars are solidly mounted to the clamp with zero movement.

These are the riser bushings I've been using, I see you can get them on eBay now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-HANDL...-/252062577528

I went out to the garage and got this image of the solids on my Wide Glide:

Originally Posted by Steve Jones Harley
Tincup / Chase, how many inches would you say that the risers make the bars come back towards you as well as raising them ?
Off hand I'd say the bars were moved rearward 1", the change up and back is very apparent when you ride the bike. I tried to get the angle in this image, the riser extensions really are black, they just look a bit washed out due to the flash:

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 11-28-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Second Image...
Old 11-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Steve Jones Harley
Intermediate

You sir, are an absolute star !

Old 12-08-2015, 12:45 PM
SPCJ
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the riser extensions what is the total height of the risers? I've seen two heights for the stock risers. 4.5in and 5in. I'm looking at getting new risers but want to make sure I don't go too tall. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2012 Wide Glide riser extension