Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple updates. Bag bracket/speedo blank

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:29 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 849 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Couple updates. Bag bracket/speedo blank

So figured out how to make my bags rigid and tight to the fender

I'll post pics after explanation.

So the quick disconnect option on the used set of bags I bought worked like poop. Not rigid, had movement on highway and overall just wasn't happy with it

So I removed the brace that's quick disconnect. Marked holes accordingly on a piece of thick *** flat stock metal from lowes

The good thing is these bags are thick fiberglasses backing so the bags themselves are super rigid

I drilled 4 holes into flat stock

2 holes to go where factory strut connections are to be and then an additional 2 in the middle so I can bolt the bags to them

I used 7/16th on my bags to brace connections with lockable nuts. I'll be swapping out to dzuz clamp bolts or touring saddle bag quick realease bolts soon

I then bolted the flat stock brace to the strut and used original saddlebag hardware and used washers to space the bags off the fender

Then I bolted through the bags into the middle holes of the new brace securing the bags and making them super duper rigid.

They have absolutely no flex and are very tight on the struts visually

If I want to remove them I open the bags and unscrew 2 7/16 nuts and the bags are off. Very easy on and off set up

All in all I spent $17 on flat stock and 2 cutting wheels

So much better than using aftermarket easy brackets or ghost brackets. Those aftermarket ones are very expensive and stick out very far

I will be shaping the braces to match the lines of rear strut and get them powdered black

Last edited by gartec81; 10-25-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:39 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 849 Likes on 373 Posts

Also I made a gauge blank for the speedo I relocated. I'm also powdering this the textured Mat black to match the console

It's a stainless circle cut and the bottom I used a circle cut also, then I cut off the edges of the circle keeping the center channel

I drilled holes and used a sandwich clamp style on the outer and inner console

First I went with a acorn but, but it stuck out to far so I went with s button head hex bolt. I want everything to get textured black so it blends in

I also need to clean up the circle and make it perfectly round

Cost was under $5 to make this so far

Old 10-25-2015, 12:57 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Glad you got it figured out! It looks like they don't stick so far out (which I think you mentioned) which I dig. That's the thing I hate the most about bags is most of the mounts make them stick a mile out.