Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The FXRT / FXRP "Style" Dyna Fairing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM
JLB14
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The FXRT / FXRP "Style" Dyna Fairing Thread

Hello everybody, I'm new here, it seems that Vacant and Deviant are out of business..anybody knows ?

Old 07-13-2018, 11:40 AM
MSgt1371
Cruiser

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JLB14
Hello everybody, I'm new here, it seems that Vacant and Deviant are out of business..anybody knows ?
If deviant went under, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. Read many bad reviews on their products. Really bad reviews about their customer service when the guys that spent a good deal of money tried to get them to make it right.

No no idea about vacant.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:37 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone know what year this fairing may be? I'm guessing its from the late 80's but its on my 94 FXRP.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:07 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,160 Likes on 11,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddy G
Anyone know what year this fairing may be? I'm guessing its from the late 80's but its on my 94 FXRP.

I had one of those on my '91 FXRP.
My bucket list want is to find one for my Dyna.

Last edited by upflying; 07-30-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:15 PM
h2otoad
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Everyone. Looks like this thread hasn't moved in a while, and I am hoping I'm not just talking to ghosts. I do a lot of reading here and not much posting. Please forgive my novice, I am more familiar with old skinny bikes... I am buying a friends low mile 2003 Dyna though for a great price and it's going to require some assembly. In building it up, I have a certain ideal I'm striving for, and it is focused around the FXR upper and lower fairings. I'm a bit confused though, as this is a new topic for me. Can someone help me out a little?

I see several different models and different mountings. I'm not sure of the difference between the RP/RT/RD... Is there an easy answer to this?

I'm also most interested in having glove boxes. Not interested in speakers or a stereo. Is there a model that has lids for compartments where most of you are putting speakers? Or would I be required to mod the fairing for that myself? I see there is a company out there that sells the glove box add-ins, but the doors don't come with them... I like the idea of buying a whole kit and getting it all assembled in one go. Reading about all the mishaps with so many of these different manufacturers, is there a consensus now as to which company is producing the most solid and reputable repops? Or should I go out of my way to search for a NOS/ used Fairing?

Thanks everybody. Looking forward to hearing any input you may have. You all have some pretty awesome looking bikes in this thread.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:06 AM
Hundskrüppel
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddy G

Hey that ride is so sweet.
The RP-fairing you have did not change in any details during the years of the pursuit glide existence to my knowledge.
From what i know, the pursuit glide was built from `84 on, and there was also a windshield version.
I have seen a HD-bruchure printed "1983" that pictures a windshield-version announcing "the new pursuit glide", but as it doesn`t
have a Shovel and shows the Evo, i guess iit`s just that the print is from `83 but it shows the 84 model with the standard windshield.
There is another brochure dated 1984 introducing the fixed fairing version as "the new 1984 pursuit glide".
I think it was built until `94.

Only the RT fairing (from 83 on) changed (mainly it`s inner design and some of the mounts) from 1986 on, the RP never received that changes.

Last edited by Hundskrüppel; 10-02-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:03 AM
Hundskrüppel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by h2otoad

I see several different models and different mountings.
I'm not sure of the difference between the RP/RT/RD... Is there an easy answer to this?

I'm also most interested in having glove boxes. Not interested in speakers or a stereo. Is there a model that has lids for compartments where most of you are putting speakers? Or would I be required to mod the fairing for that myself? I see there is a company out there that sells the glove box add-ins, but the doors don't come with them... I like the idea of buying a whole kit and getting it all assembled in one go. Reading about all the mishaps with so many of these different manufacturers, is there a consensus now as to which company is producing the most solid and reputable repops? Or should I go out of my way to search for a NOS/ used Fairing?

If you search for a NOS fairing the one life you have probably will not be enough, i`m not saying they don`t exist but someone would rather find one coincidentally versus searching for one.
The 83 - 85 RT fairing as well as all RP fairings don`t have integrated glove boxes, there are separate boxes for them, i have a set and can tell you they are more for the looks (what is the reason i bought them) than for storage.
You need tiny alien fingers to reach into them, and space is very little.
If you cut holes into the speaker surface on a 83-85 RT (or a RP)-fairing and then build yourself a glove box underneath that hole and a lid, you will have some useable space.
The 86-upwards RT fairings have integrated glove boxes, i don`t know how much storage space they provide, but i`m sure it`s better than on the small pre-86 glove boxes.

As for the differences on RP/RT/ RP fairings....all years of the RP and early (83-85)RT have the same inner design (and glove boxes, if attached), the RP does not have the vent openings as the lights sit there.
Inner fairing design on pre 86 or 86 up fairings is mostly a matter of taste (or in your case maybe a matter of useable glove boxes), i prefer the curvy early design versus the boxy later one.
RD inner fairing is just like all 86 up RT`s.
They all share the same main bracket, but the other brackets vary.
If you don`t use all brackets something will break at some point, most likely around the main bracket/head lamp mounting surface.

Last edited by Hundskrüppel; 10-02-2018 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:23 AM
Hundskrüppel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JLB14
How comes you think so, i see the Deviant-website is active and looks like before - did you make an inquiry there recently ?

Last edited by Hundskrüppel; 10-02-2018 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:52 AM
Sunday
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hundskrüppel
How comes you think so, i only see the website is active - did you make an inquiry there recently ?
Deviant has posted recently on Social media about their T Sport fairings. I was sent a quote for the FXRD setup around a year ago and exchanged a few emails and then nothing. I tried to contact them a few months later and still nothing so I have no clue what's going on with them. Sucks because I really want an FXRD on my LRS, but it makes me a little nervous not being able to contact them and being in a foreign country.

Last edited by Sunday; 10-02-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:07 AM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hoping someone can give a recommendation. If running a JD customs fairing. What would be the largest speakers without lots of modifications would anyone recommend. I searched around on this post and saw some installed 6.5 inch. Would 6 inch speakers be easier to install? And what recommendations could anyone give on a blue tooth set up and amp? I looked at the rockford fosgate power amp. I have that on my street glide along with the power 6 3/4 speakers up front and 6x9 in the speaker lids. I saw some installed a blue tooth module without head unit into their fxrt fairings. Where would be the best place to install an amp on the jd customs fairing? And lastly what wiring kits and amp install kits would anyone recommend? Unless someone can recommend a better fairing than the JD customs one. I read that Deviant was out of business. And when I looked at Vacant House over a year ago they were in business but now their site is down and they only have a facebook , and I think an instagram account so I dont know if they are still in business.

Quick Reply: The FXRT / FXRP "Style" Dyna Fairing Thread