Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   2011 Wide Glide is dying at idle (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1129387-2011-wide-glide-is-dying-at-idle.html)

hitman1267 08-01-2016 07:30 AM

2011 Wide Glide is dying at idle

It all started after I parked my bike at a grocery store, picked up some beer and steak then returned to my bike. Problems began after I almost took off with the kickstand down. As soon as I get a few blocks away she starts idling rough and sputtering, like its misfiring or some kind of limp mode. Finally she dies on me. I pulled over and checked around the bike and could not see anything immediately wrong. Doesn't even show a code. She cranks up fine and I managed to get her home.

I let her sit for a day and proceeded to turn her on and everything seemed fine, she was idling normally and not sputtering anymore. This morning heading to work I noticed something was not right, the idle seemed funny, like it was struggling to keep the engine running. I get right to the point that I park and she starts sputtering and wanting to shut off, finally she just quit. Gave off an overwhelming spell of unburnt gas.

Weird thing is I changed just about everything that would normally cause an idle problem (IAC, TPS, Ambien Air Sensor, etc.) before when I had another idle issue where she would idle high and was running rich. Turned out to be the pesky engine temperature sensor.

I don't know what it could be but maybe the forum can help me figure out this problem.

She is a 2011 Wide Glide with 17K on it, Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather, and Powercommander V

WideGlideFever 08-01-2016 08:47 AM

Have you pulled the breather and checked the filter? Only reason I bring this up is because I just did a few hour trip last weekend and got caught in thunderstorms, it was so bad that I was sucking in water through the a/c, I could only keep the throttle cracked slightly to keep it from stalling out on me.

Northbound Southerner 08-01-2016 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by hitman1267 (Post 15374934)
It all started after I parked my bike at a grocery store, picked up some beer and steak then returned to my bike. Problems began after I almost took off with the kickstand down. As soon as I get a few blocks away she starts idling rough and sputtering, like its misfiring or some kind of limp mode. Finally she dies on me. I pulled over and checked around the bike and could not see anything immediately wrong. Doesn't even show a code. She cranks up fine and I managed to get her home.

I let her sit for a day and proceeded to turn her on and everything seemed fine, she was idling normally and not sputtering anymore. This morning heading to work I noticed something was not right, the idle seemed funny, like it was struggling to keep the engine running. I get right to the point that I park and she starts sputtering and wanting to shut off, finally she just quit. Gave off an overwhelming spell of unburnt gas.

Weird thing is I changed just about everything that would normally cause an idle problem (IAC, TPS, Ambien Air Sensor, etc.) before when I had another idle issue where she would idle high and was running rich. Turned out to be the pesky engine temperature sensor.

I don't know what it could be but maybe the forum can help me figure out this problem.

She is a 2011 Wide Glide with 17K on it, Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather, and Powercommander V

Pull your power commander and run it without. If it runs decent, that's your issue. They have been known to have connection issues...

nevil 08-01-2016 12:26 PM

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Have you checked for pinholes in the internal fuel line?

HarleyBob52 08-01-2016 12:59 PM

Something else to check would be for an exhaust or intake leak,, they can be fine when the motor is cold, but then leak on warm up

hitman1267 08-01-2016 01:54 PM

Great guys all great ideas, I ride the bike in the rain and I could see how there could be a lot of water in there. I have not changed the fuel filter and I'll check the power commander.

Skogdog 08-01-2016 02:10 PM

I had symptoms exactly as you have described and it was the engine temperature sensor. I have been told by more than one competent HD Service Manager that a failing Power Commander will cause that as well.
Always keen for a free fix, I called them and hooked up to my PC-V online for them to look at. They re-loaded the firmware into the PC V and then re- loadeded the map I had. But the bike still missed out. Those guys are great to work with and are happy to look at it online for you.
So then I replaced the sensor---$38 --about 20 minutes.
Never run better.

hitman1267 08-02-2016 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Skogdog (Post 15376034)
I had symptoms exactly as you have described and it was the engine temperature sensor. I have been told by more than one competent HD Service Manager that a failing Power Commander will cause that as well.
Always keen for a free fix, I called them and hooked up to my PC-V online for them to look at. They re-loaded the firmware into the PC V and then re- loadeded the map I had. But the bike still missed out. Those guys are great to work with and are happy to look at it online for you.
So then I replaced the sensor---$38 --about 20 minutes.
Never run better.

I've already replaced the engine temperature and she was running great after that. Yesterday I did the "smoke test on the front cylinder and i did notice a leak. The front cylinder is firing but with significantly less pressure than the rear cylinder.

OldEnuf2NoBtr 08-04-2016 01:05 AM

Behind the backing plate for the air cleaner you'll find a small black rubber tube that connects to a vacuum port on top of the throttle body. Check to see if it has come off or has developed a split in it.

hitman1267 08-04-2016 01:34 PM

and.............I found a big ass exhaust leak from the front cylinder. Ill be changing the studs, gasket and nuts for this one. I'll post the update when I conduct the repairs.