Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Wide Glide is dying at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:30 AM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2011 Wide Glide is dying at idle

It all started after I parked my bike at a grocery store, picked up some beer and steak then returned to my bike. Problems began after I almost took off with the kickstand down. As soon as I get a few blocks away she starts idling rough and sputtering, like its misfiring or some kind of limp mode. Finally she dies on me. I pulled over and checked around the bike and could not see anything immediately wrong. Doesn't even show a code. She cranks up fine and I managed to get her home.

I let her sit for a day and proceeded to turn her on and everything seemed fine, she was idling normally and not sputtering anymore. This morning heading to work I noticed something was not right, the idle seemed funny, like it was struggling to keep the engine running. I get right to the point that I park and she starts sputtering and wanting to shut off, finally she just quit. Gave off an overwhelming spell of unburnt gas.

Weird thing is I changed just about everything that would normally cause an idle problem (IAC, TPS, Ambien Air Sensor, etc.) before when I had another idle issue where she would idle high and was running rich. Turned out to be the pesky engine temperature sensor.

I don't know what it could be but maybe the forum can help me figure out this problem.

She is a 2011 Wide Glide with 17K on it, Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather, and Powercommander V

Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you pulled the breather and checked the filter? Only reason I bring this up is because I just did a few hour trip last weekend and got caught in thunderstorms, it was so bad that I was sucking in water through the a/c, I could only keep the throttle cracked slightly to keep it from stalling out on me.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hitman1267
It all started after I parked my bike at a grocery store, picked up some beer and steak then returned to my bike. Problems began after I almost took off with the kickstand down. As soon as I get a few blocks away she starts idling rough and sputtering, like its misfiring or some kind of limp mode. Finally she dies on me. I pulled over and checked around the bike and could not see anything immediately wrong. Doesn't even show a code. She cranks up fine and I managed to get her home.

I let her sit for a day and proceeded to turn her on and everything seemed fine, she was idling normally and not sputtering anymore. This morning heading to work I noticed something was not right, the idle seemed funny, like it was struggling to keep the engine running. I get right to the point that I park and she starts sputtering and wanting to shut off, finally she just quit. Gave off an overwhelming spell of unburnt gas.

Weird thing is I changed just about everything that would normally cause an idle problem (IAC, TPS, Ambien Air Sensor, etc.) before when I had another idle issue where she would idle high and was running rich. Turned out to be the pesky engine temperature sensor.

I don't know what it could be but maybe the forum can help me figure out this problem.

She is a 2011 Wide Glide with 17K on it, Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather, and Powercommander V
Pull your power commander and run it without. If it runs decent, that's your issue. They have been known to have connection issues...

Old 08-01-2016, 12:26 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Have you checked for pinholes in the internal fuel line?

Old 08-01-2016, 12:59 PM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 624 Likes on 289 Posts

Something else to check would be for an exhaust or intake leak,, they can be fine when the motor is cold, but then leak on warm up

Old 08-01-2016, 01:54 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser

Great guys all great ideas, I ride the bike in the rain and I could see how there could be a lot of water in there. I have not changed the fuel filter and I'll check the power commander.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Skogdog
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I had symptoms exactly as you have described and it was the engine temperature sensor. I have been told by more than one competent HD Service Manager that a failing Power Commander will cause that as well.
Always keen for a free fix, I called them and hooked up to my PC-V online for them to look at. They re-loaded the firmware into the PC V and then re- loadeded the map I had. But the bike still missed out. Those guys are great to work with and are happy to look at it online for you.
So then I replaced the sensor---$38 --about 20 minutes.
Never run better.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 AM
hitman1267
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Skogdog
I had symptoms exactly as you have described and it was the engine temperature sensor. I have been told by more than one competent HD Service Manager that a failing Power Commander will cause that as well.
Always keen for a free fix, I called them and hooked up to my PC-V online for them to look at. They re-loaded the firmware into the PC V and then re- loadeded the map I had. But the bike still missed out. Those guys are great to work with and are happy to look at it online for you.
So then I replaced the sensor---$38 --about 20 minutes.
Never run better.
I've already replaced the engine temperature and she was running great after that. Yesterday I did the "smoke test on the front cylinder and i did notice a leak. The front cylinder is firing but with significantly less pressure than the rear cylinder.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:05 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Behind the backing plate for the air cleaner you'll find a small black rubber tube that connects to a vacuum port on top of the throttle body. Check to see if it has come off or has developed a split in it.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:34 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser

and.............I found a big *** exhaust leak from the front cylinder. Ill be changing the studs, gasket and nuts for this one. I'll post the update when I conduct the repairs.