Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Ultra Limited skipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Caine01
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Ultra Limited skipping

I am traveling. About 100 miles before my destination my bike started skipping. I thought it might be bad gas. I have ran 2 fresh tanks through it with no resolution. I have followed the procedure for re calibrating the throttle position sensor. I have put new plugs in. It only happens when the throttle is barely turned and low RPMs. After turning the throttle it will stop skipping or if I hold it in the same position for a few seconds it will run normal. My ECM has been remapped with a TTS tuner that I do not have with me. No check engine lights or codes. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Caine01; 07-02-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Caine01
2nd Gear
Question

Originally Posted by Caine01
I am traveling. About 100 miles before my destination my bike started skipping. I thought it might be bad gas. I have ran 2 fresh tanks through it with no resolution. I have followed the procedure for re calibrating the throttle position sensor. I have put new plugs in. It only happens when the throttle is barely turned and low RPMs. After turning the throttle it will stop skipping or if I hold it in the same position for a few seconds it will run normal. My ECM has been remapped with a TTS tuner that I do not have with me. No check engine lights or codes. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Update:
Back at home. I had a lot of time to test out different things. When it is cold cranked it idles just fine. After it has warmed up the idle get rough. The low rpm (1600- 2000) skipping/misfiring happens with both the throttle and cruise. If i take off from a stop aggressively to highway speeds, no skip/misfire. As long as I stay in the throttle no issues. Still no check engine light. Went to 2 different Harley shops and they had no clue. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:40 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a wire break for my O2 Sensor and the bike felt like the power was coming on and off but it idled fine and felt fine when on the throttle but at a steady throttle it would surge up and down.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,745 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Update:
Back at home. I had a lot of time to test out different things. When it is cold cranked it idles just fine. After it has warmed up the idle get rough. The low rpm (1600- 2000) skipping/misfiring happens with both the throttle and cruise. If i take off from a stop aggressively to highway speeds, no skip/misfire. As long as I stay in the throttle no issues. Still no check engine light. Went to 2 different Harley shops and they had no clue. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Have you checked for an intake leak? Everything you describes sounds like one.

Spray some WD-40 around the intake flanges (both sides) all the way around them while the engine is hot (after warm up). If the engine breaks up or the idle speed climbs you have an intake leak.

lp

Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Caine01
2nd Gear

I sprayed WD40 around the intakes and nothing. Still no check engine light. Any other ideas?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:41 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried looking at the little rubber cap on top of the intake? I have heard of a few in threads over the years. When they are missing or dry rot, bike misses and surges, worth a shot man. Hope you figure it out brother.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:09 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Does your bike have EITMS?

Old 07-09-2014, 06:54 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

I sprayed WD40 around the intakes and nothing. Still no check engine light. Any other ideas?
Clean and tighten battery connections before doing anything.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM
09Bonescanada
Advanced

Been have pretty much the same issue on and off with my 05 electra glide...replace plugs wires and checked the whole thing for loose connections...no luck at all...even tried different maps on the power commander but no luck..been to the dealer twice and both time they couldn't find anything...my symptoms are exactly the same if I run throught the gears quick on the highway it seems to be fine but if I leave my drive way trying to be quiet it spits and sputters til I get out and crank on it...quite frustrating when the dealer cant find the problem and neither can I...definitely gonna subscribe to this one...

Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 AM
09Bonescanada
Advanced

update....I just sprayed wd 40 around my intakes while idling and the idle seemed to die down some and alittle smoke from the exhaust...is there a gasket in there somewhere that I should replace or just tighten the bolts...thanks for the help....

Quick Reply: 2011 Ultra Limited skipping