Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy your preban Dyna now!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
I believe magnussen moss covers accessories such as air cleaners provided they are EPA/CARB compliant. Not sure tho.

Ultimately, I think this will all boil down to a little bump in the road. Maybe a year or two to adjust practices to the new reality and then back to business as usual.
Problem is that few are probably compliant. About all is slip ons from an exhaust point of view, and maybe more AC's but I don't know.

AND, the term "preban" in the subject line brings back too many bad memories. Ugh.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:26 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Problem is that few are probably compliant. About all is slip ons from an exhaust point of view, and maybe more AC's but I don't know.

AND, the term "preban" in the subject line brings back too many bad memories. Ugh.
Dot Gov is always trying to screw up all my hobbies. Guns, bikes, boats, RC drones, so yeah the term Preban sucks ***!!!!

Old 08-29-2016, 02:30 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

I wonder if these ECM's are smart enough to detect a change and have a log everytime a tune is changed, thus ultimately voiding the warranty?

So say you need to go in for warranty work and you had a different tune in it and changed it back to stock, would dealers be able to detect those changes? I know people put new tunes on their cars and pretty much voided whatever warranty they had so, Im guessing it would be pretty much be the same. A tune pretty much voids the entire engine and electronics systems if something goes wrong. Yes I understand the MM act, but dealers can easily say that your tune voided your warranty if it is engine related.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:31 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Dot Gov is always trying to screw up all my hobbies. Guns, bikes, boats, RC drones, so yeah the term Preban sucks ***!!!!
No doubt; living through the '94 AWB, I hoarded my pre-ban toys during those dark days and now it's coming for my HD"s... make mine a pre-ban, I want all the evil features

Old 08-29-2016, 02:35 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,534 Likes on 3,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad

Well, you better get ready for the next one, my brother.

You know damn good and well what that witch is going to put us through, next.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:22 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Only applies to hd's activities... not those of third parties.

Im looking at an fxdx as a third bike and also possibly converting the efis to carb since kits are ready available from mikuni and friends

Old 08-29-2016, 03:25 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

There ya go! Carb conversion for the win!

Old 08-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

In CA it is illegal to ride or park in a public place any bike with an exhaust system that is not stamped it is in compliance with the State's emissions standards for the year the bike was manufactured.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
I believe magnussen moss covers accessories such as air cleaners provided they are EPA/CARB compliant. Not sure tho.

Ultimately, I think this will all boil down to a little bump in the road. Maybe a year or two to adjust practices to the new reality and then back to business as usual.
I have trouble with some of the interpretations of the Magnuson Moss Act. I think others do too.. The Act covers a bunch of definitions of types of warranties. I think the big item that affects most accessory installation is that anyone can work in the item under warranty but if they somehow screw it up it's on them.. In other words you change your shock to shorter ones as a result squashing a wire that burns up part of the wiring harness.. This will not be covered under warranty.

How doing things like changing tuners can fall under the same circumstances if the tune was not done correctly.. Technically (IMO) anything that increases power has the potential to void the warranty as all the supplier has to do is claim the motorcycle was not designed for additional power.. But .. As soon as the supplier comes out with a kit that makes more power that claim becomes moot..

Here is one that can be an issue.. The infamous V in error.. If a person installs power vision on a MC and gets V in Errors, it's entirely possible that altering the ECM has made the bike harder to start causing the error.. Power vision has the ability to setup and/or disable compression releases. Can that be part of the issue?

FWIW I would hope HD would step up to the plate and ad least determine where the fault lies.

I do think that the a lot of what's coming down, will limit and possibly lock out aftermarket flash based systems as part of the requirement for a properly functioning vehicle is that it meets emissions. As soon as a vehicle is modified, it no longer meets emissions standards and warrantee is void until the vehicle is repaired back to meet those standards.. Kind of like the 2 short shock thing.

I know this all sucks but that's our government at work..

Add
Here is a description of the Act that is not too hard to understand..

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

Last edited by Max Headflow; 08-29-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 08-29-2016, 03:56 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
In CA it is illegal to ride or park in a public place any bike with an exhaust system that is not stamped it is in compliance with the State's emissions standards for the year the bike was manufactured.
I believe that only applies to vehicles made after some date.. 2010? Good ol' Arnold signed that one into law..

Quick Reply: Buy your preban Dyna now!!!!