Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Quarts too much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 03:23 PM
rlmharley
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
obviously you've never done an oil change. Lol . just pure jibberish.
First of all I've done plenty of oil changes and secondly I do stand corrected the service manual states add 2.5 at initial fill and add as needed. Yes I let mine drain for 20-30 minutes hot. Thanks for the jibberush comment smart ***!

Old 02-19-2017, 03:39 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by rlmharley
First of all I've done plenty of oil changes and secondly I do stand corrected the service manual states add 2.5 at initial fill and add as needed. Yes I let mine drain for 20-30 minutes hot. Thanks for the jibberush comment smart ***!
No, that's not what it says; it calls 2.5 quarts a capacity fill Didn't see 'add as needed' anywhere. Words do have meanings...

I'll let my ride drain for most of an afternoon, I even rock it left to right a few times; doesn't change the fact that you're overfilling the engine if as you posted previously, use 3 quarts; edit that. Half way up on the stick, and no more on a wet oil change fill. You fill to the stick, that's why it's there...

Old 02-19-2017, 03:58 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I run mine for a few minutes, drain it for a few minutes, fill it with 2.5 quarts and check it. Never had to add more to either bike. No sarcasm intended. I'm wondering how many of the guys who say they add 3 quarts (cause I hear that a lot) have external oil coolers, larger filters, etc. who cares? Do what works for you and you're good.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
I run mine for a few minutes, drain it for a few minutes, fill it with 2.5 quarts and check it. Never had to add more to either bike. No sarcasm intended. I'm wondering how many of the guys who say they add 3 quarts (cause I hear that a lot) have external oil coolers, larger filters, etc. who cares? Do what works for you and you're good.
I'm running a permanent oil filter, a Jagg oil cooler, and an oil filter relocation. The oil cooler, the thermostatic oil cooler adapter, the oil filter relocation billet engine adapter, the relocation lines, and the oil filter mount don't drain when you drop the engine oil.

I remove the PCS4C oil filter and clean it while the oil pan drains; I mount the oil filter and add what basically amounts to slightly less than 2 quarts of VR1 SAE 50 to the engine to get a middle of the stick oil level on the dipstick; never need to add, it's always right at 3.5 hash marks on a cold check.

These guys dumping 3 quarts in their bikes based on some sort of a 'capacity' idea and ignoring the stick and why it's there, and what HD actually says, are slugging their throttle bodies and intakes with huge amounts of oil carryover or are venting it out their external breathers...

Old 02-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
I'm running a permanent oil filter, a Jagg oil cooler, and an oil filter relocation. The oil cooler, the thermostatic oil cooler adapter, the oil filter relocation billet engine adapter, the relocation lines, and the oil filter mount don't drain when you drop the engine oil.

I remove the PCS4C oil filter and clean it while the oil pan drains; I mount the oil filter and add what basically amounts to slightly less than 2 quarts of VR1 SAE 50 to the engine to get a middle of the stick oil level on the dipstick; never need to add, it's always right at 3.5 hash marks on a cold check.

These guys dumping 3 quarts in their bikes based on some sort of a 'capacity' idea and ignoring the stick and why it's there, and what HD actually says, are slugging their throttle bodies and intakes with huge amounts of oil carryover or are venting it out their external breathers...
i agree 3 quarts is overfilled but I'm not looking to start a pissing match with anyone let alone people I'll probably never meet. If that's what works for them that's up to them but I'm gonna keep filling 2.5 quarts in mine. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:06 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Oh, I understand fully; I just want people to understand this is an HD, it's not the space shuttle. These things are red brick dumb; trust the stick on an oil change and quit looking for some magic 'amount' to throw in and not have to do your due diligence with the bike, the bike will tell you exactly what it wants; if you listen and pay attention. From the beginning, an HD told the owner what it wanted, and that still hasn't changed. Pay attention and trust the stick.

Try as they might, HD hasn't pulled the soul out of these bikes quite yet

Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

These things are red brick dumb; trust the stick on an oil change and quit looking for some magic 'amount' to throw in and not have to do your due diligence with the bike, the bike will tell you exactly what it wants;
OMG TinCup!! These folks aren't ready for the Truth!! Realism(?) Participation(?)!! come on Man, that's gonna hurt'm!!! They won't know how to answer the test!
Try as they might, HD hasn't pulled the soul out of these bikes quite yet
The only thing this forum is missing is a "Thumb's Up" icon.

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:26 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnMn
OMG TinCup!! These folks aren't ready for the Truth!! Realism(?) Participation(?)!! come on Man, that's gonna hurt'm!!! They won't know how to answer the test!
The only thing this forum is missing is a "Thumb's Up" icon.
Yea, I'd like a thumbs up button, and and F you button as well. But, we got the thanks button; it's a start

Old 02-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Yea, I'd like a thumbs up button, and and F you button as well. But, we got the thanks button; it's a start

Here ya go...

: Mike

Old 02-19-2017, 06:46 PM
W.Glide
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Here ya go...

: Mike

It's probably good we don't have those, because most of us would have them worn out.

Quick Reply: 3 Quarts too much oil?