Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg Halters or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:56 AM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Hawg Halters or not?

2012 Street Bob, 120/70/21 laced to stock hub. Waiting on WG trees. Trying to decide whether to spend the extra $$ on the Hawg Halters conversion kit, or make the additional spacers, and get the axle separately? What do you guys think?
Thanks

Old 02-21-2017, 12:45 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I like kits...when I know the parts contained within are what I actually need... Often times they are not.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:42 PM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

From what I've read, it seems that if you're gonna use the stock hub, then the kit is very useful and time-saving, but if you're running a wide glide wheel or something else, then it's probably not the better option. Did you use their kit, and were you satisfied with it? I've read about the axle not fitting, poor customer service, and waiting forever for the parts to arrive. But I've heard very good things also. just looking for some feedback.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:59 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Sorry, no. Never used HH products. The spacers I used for my rear end conversion last year were from Vulcan. I'll use them again this spring when I convert the front end. More work up front, but I can be sure I'm getting what I actually need. I'll be doing a Fat Bob lowers/dual brake, Wide Glide (raked) trees, and a touring hub custom laced to Excel aluminum rim. I expect a few hiccups that no pre-configured kit will accommodate.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:09 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I used the Hawg Halters conversion. Very long wait. But I did use most of the kit.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:57 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

OP, I know I recommended the kit, but can't promise that everything would be perfect if used. I only recommended it because I have seen others in the forum that have used it because of it's ease on the mod. I personally have not used it, so I can't comment on its fit and function. If your not sure about the kit, maybe just use the advice you received before and use a OEM WG axle and have your own axle spacers made. See if you can just order the rotor spacer they offer, seeing as to how that might be the most costly part to have one off produced at a local machine shop. The fender spacers can be picked up at a local hardware store I am sure.

Originally Posted by cggorman
Sorry, no. Never used HH products. The spacers I used for my rear end conversion last year were from Vulcan. I'll use them again this spring when I convert the front end. More work up front, but I can be sure I'm getting what I actually need. I'll be doing a Fat Bob lowers/dual brake, Wide Glide (raked) trees, and a touring hub custom laced to Excel aluminum rim. I expect a few hiccups that no pre-configured kit will accommodate.

I would like to see the thread when you do this conversion. I currently have a Wide Glide/Softail hub on my setup, but I do believe I measured my touring hub with the dual flange and believe the specs when it comes to fit are the same. Basically, I should be able to use the current Wide Glide 25mm axle with my OEM Street Bob axle spacers on my ride and swap the WG/Softy hub for the Touring hub and still be in a rolling status. If I had my replacement hub powder coated and bearing kit installed, I would test fit the hub and verify the accuracy in my theory.

Last edited by blueangel73; 02-22-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:09 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Check http://vulcanworks.net/ for spacers and conversion parts/kits. I've used them a few times and they ship fast with excellent quality.

Blue Angel, I've got an on-going build thread that I try to document everything in. Link in my sig. I'm recovering from an injury so actual progress on the build (beyond buying parts) will be a couple more months.