Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines Big Shots

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:20 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,961 Likes on 3,039 Posts

Interesting, But wouldn't the added back pressure defeat the original stage 1 making it more like stock?
Just asking, I would think at first glance it would defeat the purpose.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:21 PM
cigardave007
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ranger, you are right, it does seem like it would defeat the purpose some. I always thought less back pressure equals more power. Sems that not actually true.
Hopefully some experts will chime in with the scientific details....

My understanding is the drag pipes drastically reduce pressure but this drastic reductions adversely affect low and mid throttle torque. The stock baffle may help this some but not enough. Adding the TTIs adds more back pressure and reduces power loss in the low to mid RPM range. I take it the TTI is used as a tool to dial in the exhaust to achieve the most power throughout the RMP range.

That's my take on it. Lets hope the wizards can shed more light on this.

Last edited by cigardave007; 03-31-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2017, 10:28 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I'm running the TTIs in my Big Shots Longs and love the sound. Nice at idle and cruise, and they can really bark when you twist the wrist.
To the OP: The end caps have to come off to install the quiet baffles, but will fit after installation.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:28 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cigardave007
Ranger, you are right, it does seem like it would defeat the purpose some. I always thought less back pressure equals more power. Sems that not actually true.
Hopefully some experts will chime in with the scientific details....

My understanding is the drag pipes drastically reduce pressure but this drastic reductions adversely affect low and mid throttle torque. The stock baffle may help this some but not enough. Adding the TTIs adds more back pressure and reduces power loss in the low to mid RPM range. I take it the TTI is used as a tool to dial in the exhaust to achieve the most power throughout the RMP range.

That's my take on it. Lets hope the wizards can shed more light on this.
I understand the TTI theory if no baffles and short pipes. But quite baffles and TTI's just confuses me for the torque value. Unless it's just a sound thing.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:10 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I understand the TTI theory if no baffles and short pipes. But quite baffles and TTI's just confuses me for the torque value. Unless it's just a sound thing.
When I'd originally responded regarding the quiet baffles I was under the impression that Gerald Fall was looking to change to the V&H quiet baffles for sound reduction reasons; the Q118's and the stock baffle would be more effective at sound reduction than the quiet baffles.

Discovering he has no baffles at all is why I suggested the W158's. The TTI's installed will increase exhaust gas velocity and reduce reversion of fresh air in to the pipe, the net result will be an increase in low and mid range torque and the pipes will have a deeper tone with the brighter overtones removed; a much more cost effective and a better performing solution since his baffles are already gone.

OP, to install either stock or the quiet baffles you'll need to remove the billet end caps and the heat shields; the full coverage shields are covering the hole for the baffle bolt.

To install TTI's you'll need to remove the pipes from the bike so you can enlarge the baffle holes; positioned where they are you'll never be able to enlarge them otherwise. Notching the heat shields is a rather easy job. But in whatever direction you take, be sure you use blue loctite on the end cap mounting screws. Those caps can go missing and are not exactly cheap to replace

Old 04-01-2017, 03:24 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Okay, so my original belief stands as correct.
Clear as mud. 👍🏻

Old 04-02-2017, 03:10 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Your going to get plenty of back pressure from the QBs with a torque gain throughout all throttle ranges, using TTIs is redundant and unnecessary.