Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with fall away

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 06:40 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default help with fall away

Can someone please tell me how to check and adjust the fall away on my 14 lowrider. CAn you please discribe it like i have a learning disability because i just cant seem to grasp it after all these years.

the book for my 06 superglide has a totally differnt technique than the book for my 14 lowrider and to tell you the truth im not sure i have ever really done it right.

but the tension on the neck feels sloppy to me so id like to check it the right way.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:41 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

and please, i have searched and read and wacthed vidios and seems that everyone does it different

Old 04-16-2017, 06:54 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,403 Likes on 2,959 Posts

The "slop" you feel, is it kingset bearings or fork slider bushings? Or, both?

Old 04-16-2017, 06:56 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

First off, what makes you think you're doing wrong?

Second, make sure you remove the clutch, idle, & throttle cables. They are pretty stiff and will affect your measurements.

Third, make sure the bike is completely off the ground and level.

The basic concept is that as you tighten the bearings, they increase the amount of force it takes to turn the forks. You want the forks to hold themselves in place even after you start to turn them away from center...for a portion of the total turning range. The specific dimension and measurment location varies by year and model. As you turn the forks (with one finger) they will resist and hold their position when you let go up to a certain point where they will flop over (or fall away) on their own. The point at which that happens is the the fall away dimension. The hard part is setting up the measuring method.

I may get crucified for saying this, but I feel a little too tight (more resistance, bigger measurement) is better than a little too loose.

Last edited by cggorman; 04-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:12 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
The "slop" you feel, is it kingset bearings or fork slider bushings? Or, both?
no, it is the tension of the stem in the neck

as i turn the handlebars, it is smooth and consistent but seems loose

Old 04-16-2017, 07:13 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
First off, what makes you think you're doing wrong?

Second, make sure you remove the clutch, idle, & throttle cables. They are pretty stiff and will affect your measurements.

Third, make sure the bike is completely off the ground and level.

The basic concept is that as you tighten the bearings, they increase the amount of force it takes to turn the forks. You want the forks to hold themselves in place even after you start to turn them away from center...for a portion of the total turning range. The specific dimension and measurment location varies by year and model. As you turn the forks (with one finger) they will resist and hold their position when you let go up to a certain point where they will flop over (or fall away) on their own. The point at which that happens is the the fall away dimension. The hard part is setting up the measuring method.

I may get crucified for saying this, but I feel a little too tight (more resistance, bigger measurement) is better than a little too loose.

Correct, it is setting up the measurement that im not sure of

Old 04-16-2017, 07:26 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

It says, "tape a wide piece of cardboard parallel to the front fender tip" "place a suitable marking material on the front fender tip like masking tape"

what does that mean? " parallel to the front fender tip"

does it mean to put a big piece of cardboard on the front fender tip, with a pointer taped to a chair and the pointer is lined up with the center of the fender tip, then tap and mark and all that?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hell hound
It says, "tape a wide piece of cardboard parallel to the front fender tip" "place a suitable marking material on the front fender tip like masking tape"

what does that mean? " parallel to the front fender tip"

does it mean to put a big piece of cardboard on the front fender tip, with a pointer taped to a chair and the pointer is lined up with the center of the fender tip, then tap and mark and all that?
It gets squiffy there. I can understand your confusion. You want a chunk of cardboard maybe 12" x 12", a roll of painters tape, and a marker. roll the front tire of the bike up to a flat wall and jack it up. Tape one edge of the cardboard to the wall and situate it so it rests on top of the fender like a table. You may have to trim it so the fender doesn't rip it off the wall when you turn the forks. Put a strip of tape on the fender and make a mark at the centerline. Make a matching mark on the cardboard. The marks should both be lined up when the wheel is pointing straight ahead.

As you reach the point of "fall away", put a mark on the cardboard so it lines up with the mark on the fender.

Measure the distance between the two cardboard marks.

This gets hinky because fender lengths vary and everything is moving in an arc. It really should be measured in degrees.

The difference between 2" and 4" of fall away isn't that big of a deal, IMO. As long as the forks hold themselves for a few inches off center you're in the ballpark. Take it for a ride and note how it feels and sounds. Make small adjustments until you like it.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:03 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I like to yank forward/back/up/down on the front wheel as I adjust ALL the slack out of the adjuster, then give it an extra 1/16-1/8 turn and give it a rest ride. That takes too much "feel" to be a reliable/repeatable procedure, though. Again, I feel like the procedure Harley provides is wildly inadequate. I'd prefer a min/max adjustment torque and angular followup check.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:09 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
It gets squiffy there. I can understand your confusion. You want a chunk of cardboard maybe 12" x 12", a roll of painters tape, and a marker. roll the front tire of the bike up to a flat wall and jack it up. Tape one edge of the cardboard to the wall and situate it so it rests on top of the fender like a table. You may have to trim it so the fender doesn't rip it off the wall when you turn the forks. Put a strip of tape on the fender and make a mark at the centerline. Make a matching mark on the cardboard. The marks should both be lined up when the wheel is pointing straight ahead.

As you reach the point of "fall away", put a mark on the cardboard so it lines up with the mark on the fender.

Measure the distance between the two cardboard marks.

This gets hinky because fender lengths vary and everything is moving in an arc. It really should be measured in degrees.

The difference between 2" and 4" of fall away isn't that big of a deal, IMO. As long as the forks hold themselves for a few inches off center you're in the ballpark. Take it for a ride and note how it feels and sounds. Make small adjustments until you like it.
that makes since, the center line on the cardboard is the pointer?

Quick Reply: help with fall away