Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to replace my Progressive shock springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:07 PM
Blue Meanie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to replace my Progressive shock springs

Hello...
Last year I installed Progressive springs and shocks to my Dyna. Overall, it was a good upgrade. I elected to go with heavy duty components. The forks are great but the shocks are a bit too stiff. I weigh about 260- 265 lbs. The preload on the shocks are fully backed off and harsh bumps will jolt my lower back. But what really annoys me is the rear of the bike is too high. There's not enough sag. Cornering feels awkward. I want to go with standard springs (430 series, 12.5 in) P/N 1442-20B/30. were is a good source to order these? I've looked on Progressives site and around the web but I cant locate anyone selling these springs. Any guidance would be great. Thank you

Old 06-04-2017, 10:17 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Ohlins... end of story.

For the price of going through 2+ different mid/low-end shocks and trying to figure out what works...it's about the same price as ohlins. low speed cobble roads and high speed twisties, it does it all.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:17 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...dyna-1991-2017

Amazon Amazon

I don't find that exact number (1442-20B/30).. hope the above helps a bit though.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 PM
Blue Meanie
Intermediate

P/N 1442-20B/30 is for the standard springs on the 12,5 in 430 shocks. I found the part# from the Tech/Spec pdf file from Progressives website. I'm looking to find a company that sells just the springs. I'd rather swap out the springs than replace the shocks outright.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,095 Likes on 2,955 Posts
Old 06-05-2017, 05:16 PM
sox_giantsfan
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Like Bigbadpoppa, I highly recommend Ohlins shocks. I bought a set over the winter from Howard at motorcycle Metal and it was by far and away the best off season upgrade I have done. Give him a call and explain your needs and wants and he will suggest several options that will get you what your looking for.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:39 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,106 Likes on 1,920 Posts

as he said. during the work week, you can always get a live person to answer and their tech advise is always good.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Blue Meanie
Intermediate

Called Progressive today and got my replacement springs on order. I'm sure about the right part number. They'll only set me back about 75 bucks plus shipping. I wasn't on the phone with them for 5 minutes! Now I need to figure out how to properly dismantle the shock assemblies correctly. They should get here Mon or Tue.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:53 AM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,095 Likes on 2,955 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
Now I need to figure out how to properly dismantle the shock assemblies correctly.
Buy / rent / borrow.., even fab up - a spring compression tool

orielly / autozone will "lend" tools with a deposit..., that'll be refunded when the tool is returned

Remove shock from bike - compress spring - disassemble - remove spring

Reverse to reinstall

==========
Notes:

Tighten both compressors equally..., and in small increments (also loosen in same manor - otherwise things can go to hell..., quickly)

Don't go ape compressing the springs - just need to remove tension

Wear safety glasses

This very similar to working on coils / struts - on a cage (and all the same precautions apply)

=========

If you're not comfortable - remove shocks..., then take em.., and the replacement springs to an indy - should be a quick turn around..., and relatively cheap (and if either ain't the case - find another indy)

Ghost

Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 AM
619DYNA619
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Notes:

Tighten both compressors equally..., and in small increments (also loosen in same manor - otherwise things can go to hell..., quickly)

Don't go ape compressing the springs - just need to remove tension

Wear safety glasses

This very similar to working on coils / struts - on a cage (and all the same precautions apply)

Ghost

By far one of the most scary experiences I've ever had working on any type of vehicle.....

Quick Reply: Looking to replace my Progressive shock springs