Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going back in... Cylinders and pistons time

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:09 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvorchak
the intake gaskets should never be reused. They are cheap.
Will do!

Originally Posted by cdonis
I always enjoy your threads! The breakout is getting a 124. Should be done in a month.....no real hurry.
Wow I didn't realize, can't wait to read about the results!

Old 06-19-2017, 12:59 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Well it was so hot yesterday that by the time I got back I couldn't work. Got the cylinders super duper clean along with the pistons.

this morning the garage was already at 80+ but I did get the old pistons off, the new ones on, and so far one cylinder, going to put the other on in just a bit.

Went through my gasket package and realized that there are two new intake gaskets there already so that's cool. Also stopped by Auto Zone and picked up a couple of Iridium spark plugs.

Getting those circlips into the pistons was definitely a technique. I did use the Kramlock clips and tool that they came with, took a bit to figure out the method of "walking" the clip back into the groove. Probably took about half an hour to get the first one, with the clip constantly flying out and almost getting lost. Definitely see why everyone recommends putting towels or sponges into the crank case to plug up the holes!. Once I got it figured out the others were pretty quick. Same thing for my piston ring compressor. Took me a bit to figure out best way to use it but once done pretty quick.

In other news, DK Customs comes through once again, I reached out to them on Friday afternoon to let them know about the breather back plate breaking. They got back to me right away and let me know that they'd send a new one out today. Sure enough package was sent already along with a couple new gaskets.

Those guys are just awesome. So far I have their AC and foot pegs (pedal style), I have some heel rests from the last bike (RIP), so think I'll order their adjustable highway pegs sometime soon and put pegs/heel rests on them.

I hope to get a chance to finish the cylinders and heads today, we shall see. Then I'll do the rest of the 15k service over the next couple days. Temps today through Friday will be highs of 122 yikes

Old 06-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Could you post a pic of the filter side of the backing plate?

Did DK say anything about the bracket breaking?

Are you using their breathers?

Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

This is becoming as common as an old shoe for you Robby, looking good!

This is like putting a big conch shell up to your ear, I hear more power

I'm very anxious to see what the difference 4 cubes will do!

Last edited by Suede Blue Man; 06-19-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:04 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Could you post a pic of the filter side of the backing plate?

Did DK say anything about the bracket breaking?

Are you using their breathers?
There's actually a pic of the plate on the first page, second post of this thread. I am using their breathers along with the 587 AC. In the installation instructions they mention spacers to ensure alignment is correct to prevent breakage from vibration. I've made sure to install properly but this is actually the second time it's happened. I'm thinking the washers should really be some type of rubber material perhaps. But they stand by their products and have sent a new one.

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
This is becoming as common as an old shoe for you Robby, looking good!

This is like putting a big conch shell up to your ear, I hear more power

I'm very anxious to see what the difference 4 cubes will do!
Yeah me too. I'm hoping for 115 squared or thereabouts, but you know me, this is more to have fun and try something new.

Next question...

My gasket kit list of contents show that the head gaskets were .030 which is what I have currently and what Kirby and I discussed. But when I opened the bag, the label on the gasket bag said .040 there are no markings on the gaskets themselves.

I'm going to email Kirby but of course I received these over 4 months ago. Wonder what the chances are that they're actually .030, what would the difference be in performance if they are .040?

I did get the heads on and torqued back into place but not the rocker assemblies yet. Is it worth it for me to go to the dealer and see if they have any .030's just to be absolutely positive?

I was hoping to button up the top end tomorrow as I leave for Las Vegas on Wednesday for a few days.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Hmm, all good questions; this calls for tantric mood music:

Old 06-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by robbyville
There's actually a pic of the plate on the first page, second post of this thread. I am using their breathers along with the 587 AC. In the installation instructions they mention spacers to ensure alignment is correct to prevent breakage from vibration. I've made sure to install properly but this is actually the second time it's happened. I'm thinking the washers should really be some type of rubber material perhaps. But they stand by their products and have sent a new one.
I saw that.. I'm more interested is what the other side looks like.. I'm curious as what the lead-in for the throttle body looks like.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:36 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

I saw that.. I'm more interested is what the other side looks like.. I'm curious as what the lead-in for the throttle body looks like.
Gotcha,

I'll take some pics and post later! Max, I know you from the other forum as well, any thoughts about the head gasket thickness question I posed? What would be the difference if these are actually .040 instead of .030?

I should mention that I don't have a caliper to measure but could get one and that I already installed the gaskets before realizing. Rockers are not on though so I could easily remove and replace.

The set up is:

Veetwin racing Stage 2 heads
107 cylinders
Fueling 574 cams
CP pistons 281852 bhm107

Last edited by robbyville; 06-19-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by robbyville
Gotcha,

I'll take some pics and post later! Max, I know you from the other forum as well, any thoughts about the head gasket thickness question I posed? What would be the difference if these are actually .040 instead of .030?

I should mention that I don't have a caliper to measure but could get one and that I already installed the gaskets before realizing. Rockers are not on though so I could easily remove and replace.

The set up is:

Veetwin racing Stage 2 heads
107 cylinders
Fueling 574 cams
CP pistons 281852 bhm107

If you were reading the number 0.040 of something like the list of parts on the gasket kit, the list of parts might say the wrong gasket and the ones you have could be 0.030.. If it's the head gasket by itself, it it likely 0.030 if it says 0.030 on the label.. Obviously it will lower the CR by about 2 tenths. You are already running flattops and don't know what heads were set to. I suspect that you CR is going to be pretty low unless Kirby milled a bunch off those heads.

I just went from 103 to 107 on my EGC, I was running 9.9 to 1 CR but with the bore increase and heads that CCed at 85 I'm getting close to 10.4 to 1.. I used an 0.030 Hg.. You are using a 574 cam with 45 deg intake close.. I'd be squeezing it a bit harder..

The following users liked this post:
robbyville (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 05:50 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

If you were reading the number 0.040 of something like the list of parts on the gasket kit, the list of parts might say the wrong gasket and the ones you have could be 0.030.. If it's the head gasket by itself, it it likely 0.030 if it says 0.030 on the label.. Obviously it will lower the CR by about 2 tenths. You are already running flattops and don't know what heads were set to. I suspect that you CR is going to be pretty low unless Kirby milled a bunch off those heads.

I just went from 103 to 107 on my EGC, I was running 9.9 to 1 CR but with the bore increase and heads that CCed at 85 I'm getting close to 10.4 to 1.. I used an 0.030 Hg.. You are using a 574 cam with 45 deg intake close.. I'd be squeezing it a bit harder..
Understood thanks. Kirby had originally set compression using the .030, he mentioned that it wouldn't be horrible if these were .040 but again was set for the others. The main bag listing all contents said .030 but the individual head gasket bags said .040. I have to go to the dealer tomorrow to get some primary fluid and an oil filter so I'll just get some gaskets to be sure and not wonder later.

Also here are a couple pics of that ac back plate for you. Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: Going back in... Cylinders and pistons time