Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Aftermarket or HD Chrome? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1193375-aftermarket-or-hd-chrome.html)

odog422 08-16-2017 11:42 PM

Aftermarket or HD Chrome?

I want to add chrome handlebar controls to my 2011 Wide Glide. I've read the HD chrome is better and fits better than aftermarket on some sites, and I've also read aftermarket is great and better priced on other sites, including forums.

I want the best chrome and right fit. Stick to HD parts or no?

Thanks in advance.

Northbound Southerner 08-17-2017 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by odog422 (Post 16537598)
I want to add chrome handlebar controls to my 2011 Wide Glide. I've read the HD chrome is better and fits better than aftermarket on some sites, and I've also read aftermarket is great and better priced on other sites, including forums.

I want the best chrome and right fit. Stick to HD parts or no?

Thanks in advance.

I would take HD chrome over most aftermarket stuff. If I was going to do chrome controls on my bike though, it would be Performance Machine. It's expensive but looks great.

Nickd2689 08-17-2017 07:29 AM

I'm not really familiar with any of the aftermarket controls so I'd probably stick with HD. It's always a good idea to shop around but I'd stay away from any cheap plastic parts. Anything made in China or tiwan or whatever would be a no go cause it seems like it's always poorly constructed and likely to break. That being said, I don't know where HD parts are built wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn they come from China. I was pissed off to learn that all their boots and t shirts come from China. But I'm one who always prefers to buy American made products, and support our country/economy.

archergodwin 08-17-2017 08:16 AM

I put chrome controls on my FXDC 60kmiles ago... still function fine and look great.

petefwa 08-17-2017 08:41 AM

HD is pretty good value for money, there is cheap rubbish or more expensive, better quality stuff around if you want but genuine is hard to beat.

Krash26 08-17-2017 11:20 AM

If you're looking for a good fit, go with HD. I put, what I thought was really good and expensive aftermarket grips on my lowrider, and the fit was really poor on the throttle side. Won't do that again.

ludville1 08-17-2017 12:23 PM

I've added quite a bit of chrome to my Low Rider...been pretty happy with the HD stuff.

loopie 08-17-2017 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nickd2689 (Post 16538131)
I'm not really familiar with any of the aftermarket controls so I'd probably stick with HD. It's always a good idea to shop around but I'd stay away from any cheap plastic parts. Anything made in China or tiwan or whatever would be a no go cause it seems like it's always poorly constructed and likely to break. That being said, I don't know where HD parts are built wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn they come from China. I was pissed off to learn that all their boots and t shirts come from China. But I'm one who always prefers to buy American made products, and support our country/economy.

for **** sake dont read the packaging on your next accessorie purchase from over the harley dealer counter, you will have a heart attack. .... they are all comming out off tiawain.. the only difference being a branded part must conform too harley specifactions/quality.. kuryakin/arlen ness etc are all made in china too.. Harley only assembles bikes,most off the parts are sourced globally

JayStronghawk 08-18-2017 04:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
HD is a Good Choice for the Primary, Cam and Tranny Covers and Front End .. Might consider Aftermarket for things like Clutch Levers, Battery Cover and Other Trim but want a perfect fit on things that might possibly Leak if don't have the Perfect Fit .. Is the way I went anyway with No Regrets ..

Krash26 08-18-2017 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by loopie (Post 16540596)
for **** sake dont read the packaging on your next accessorie purchase from over the harley dealer counter, you will have a heart attack. .... they are all comming out off tiawain.. the only difference being a branded part must conform too harley specifactions/quality.. kuryakin/arlen ness etc are all made in china too.. Harley only assembles bikes,most off the parts are sourced globally

I bought new boots a few months back at the dealer and yes, when I looked at where they were made it was China!!!! Is everything coming from there now?? Lets see how long the boots last. My last pair were Red Wing and made in the USA!! I still wear'em too.