Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket or HD Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:42 PM
odog422
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket or HD Chrome?

I want to add chrome handlebar controls to my 2011 Wide Glide. I've read the HD chrome is better and fits better than aftermarket on some sites, and I've also read aftermarket is great and better priced on other sites, including forums.

I want the best chrome and right fit. Stick to HD parts or no?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by odog422
I want to add chrome handlebar controls to my 2011 Wide Glide. I've read the HD chrome is better and fits better than aftermarket on some sites, and I've also read aftermarket is great and better priced on other sites, including forums.

I want the best chrome and right fit. Stick to HD parts or no?

Thanks in advance.
I would take HD chrome over most aftermarket stuff. If I was going to do chrome controls on my bike though, it would be Performance Machine. It's expensive but looks great.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:29 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm not really familiar with any of the aftermarket controls so I'd probably stick with HD. It's always a good idea to shop around but I'd stay away from any cheap plastic parts. Anything made in China or tiwan or whatever would be a no go cause it seems like it's always poorly constructed and likely to break. That being said, I don't know where HD parts are built wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn they come from China. I was pissed off to learn that all their boots and t shirts come from China. But I'm one who always prefers to buy American made products, and support our country/economy.

Last edited by Nickd2689; 08-17-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I put chrome controls on my FXDC 60kmiles ago... still function fine and look great.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:41 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

HD is pretty good value for money, there is cheap rubbish or more expensive, better quality stuff around if you want but genuine is hard to beat.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're looking for a good fit, go with HD. I put, what I thought was really good and expensive aftermarket grips on my lowrider, and the fit was really poor on the throttle side. Won't do that again.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 PM
ludville1
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

I've added quite a bit of chrome to my Low Rider...been pretty happy with the HD stuff.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:27 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
I'm not really familiar with any of the aftermarket controls so I'd probably stick with HD. It's always a good idea to shop around but I'd stay away from any cheap plastic parts. Anything made in China or tiwan or whatever would be a no go cause it seems like it's always poorly constructed and likely to break. That being said, I don't know where HD parts are built wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn they come from China. I was pissed off to learn that all their boots and t shirts come from China. But I'm one who always prefers to buy American made products, and support our country/economy.

for **** sake dont read the packaging on your next accessorie purchase from over the harley dealer counter, you will have a heart attack. .... they are all comming out off tiawain.. the only difference being a branded part must conform too harley specifactions/quality.. kuryakin/arlen ness etc are all made in china too.. Harley only assembles bikes,most off the parts are sourced globally

Old 08-18-2017, 04:09 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up

HD is a Good Choice for the Primary, Cam and Tranny Covers and Front End .. Might consider Aftermarket for things like Clutch Levers, Battery Cover and Other Trim but want a perfect fit on things that might possibly Leak if don't have the Perfect Fit .. Is the way I went anyway with No Regrets ..

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket or HD Chrome?-afterbling.jpg   Aftermarket or HD Chrome?-beforebling.jpg  
Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by loopie
for **** sake dont read the packaging on your next accessorie purchase from over the harley dealer counter, you will have a heart attack. .... they are all comming out off tiawain.. the only difference being a branded part must conform too harley specifactions/quality.. kuryakin/arlen ness etc are all made in china too.. Harley only assembles bikes,most off the parts are sourced globally
I bought new boots a few months back at the dealer and yes, when I looked at where they were made it was China!!!! Is everything coming from there now?? Lets see how long the boots last. My last pair were Red Wing and made in the USA!! I still wear'em too.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket or HD Chrome?