Sportster S Sportster S Only

Stranded and Frustrated: Seeking Advice After My New Harley's Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 01:20 PM
AsphaltAdventurer
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Stranded and Frustrated: Seeking Advice After My New Harley's Engine Failure

TLDR: I fell in love with the Nightster Special and the LUX exhaust from Jekyll and Hyde, only to be utterly disappointed by the motorcycle and its reliability three months later. The engine broke down after only three months of ownership, and now I've been waiting for a month and a half for a replacement without any update from the dealership or Harley.

Hello Folks,

I have a story to tell about my experience with Harley-Davidson and the Nightster Special in particular. Last year, after watching many videos about cruisers, I decided to become a Harley owner. In December 2023, I bought one — a 2023 Nightster Special. I had a blast riding the machine; it really brought me a lot of joy and stress relief. I'd go out with a smile and come back home with a smile. It was my drug of choice. Around end of February, beginning of March 2024, I ordered a LUX exhaust from Jekyll and Hyde, which was fitted on the 12th of March along with the first service. The sound of the exhaust was so good, adjustable, and I fell in love with the motorcycle. Unfortunately, it didn't last long. On 17th March, the engine broke down. I had gone out for a couple of hours before returning to pick up my family for the St. Patrick's celebrations. The motorcycle was sounding normal and working as expected. I parked it and locked it to the pylon to go out for the nearby parade. See the video below, coming back home after a ride (at about 0:43).

When I returned, I was enthusiastic to switch on the engine and let my 15-month-old daughter experience the rumble. I sat her on the seat and turned on the engine. It started, lasted a couple of seconds, and then stopped. I removed my daughter from the seat, for safety, and tried to start the engine again. It didn't work. I tried a few more times, checked the oil, checked the water, and tried again. It didn't work. Then I decided to call the dealership once everyone returned to work from the extended weekend. See the video below, around minute 6:33 when the engine broke down.

The next day, 18th March, I bought an approx. 200 EUR battery charger, thinking it might be the battery. I charged the machine and after a few attempts, the engine started with a horrible metallic noise. I stopped it and the next day towed the motorcycle to the dealership for service (at my own expense - €170). See the video below of the metallic noise.

Since that day, the motorcycle has been in service. The dealership said the engine needs to be replaced, citing an 8-week time-frame. Today we are at the end of week six. There is no update, no order for a new engine, nothing. I wrote to Harley Customer Service UK, as I am based in Ireland. They said that they don't have access to the order system and only the dealership does. The dealership says they don't have any update.

The last couple of days I've seen motorcyclists enjoying the sunshine, and I am running out of patience. Utterly frustrated and disappointed by the reliability of the brand and the model. It was a brand new machine - only 3 months old.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? How long does it typically take to have the engine replaced? Are there any lemon laws in the EU or Ireland?

Any advice or comments, technical or not, are welcome.

Thanks,
D

Last edited by AsphaltAdventurer; 04-29-2024 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:06 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,726 Likes on 1,185 Posts

I think you posted in the wrong "Sportster" section, your bike is the new Sporster S. Those engine noises don't sound good. Sounds like a bad experience that's not improving. Good luck.

John

Old 04-29-2024, 02:22 PM
AsphaltAdventurer
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, John. I’m still hopeful for the best and aiming to salvage the season.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:04 PM
Hathaway
Intermediate
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Heartbreaking story. At least H.D. is standing behind it, not trying to wiggle out of their responsibility. Unfortunately every once in awhile, there are " Lemons" that come off of the assembly line. I hope they get you back up and running soon! I wouldn't sweat the lack of information while awaiting the new engine - they probably don't know either. The way things seem to be these days. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2024, 03:31 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 455 Likes on 315 Posts

Not being very familiar with that model and I realize that these security cameras don't offer the best quality sound but it sounds like metal on metal when you pull in on the first video like a lack of oil. How's the level?
Hope you get an answer soon.

Also I'd NEVER start a bike with a kid on it without having both of my hands on the handlebars, God forbid it accidentally pops into gear even if it is chained to a pole. But that's me

The following 2 users liked this post by elPrez:
HD_noobie (04-30-2024), John Harper (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 08:53 PM
epswing
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Dang, my sympathies. When something's broken, it's often related to the last thing you changed. So I wouldn't be surprised if the new exhaust (or the service itself) had something to do with it.

Have you considered asking the dealership for a loaner while you wait?

Old 04-30-2024, 06:20 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,340 Likes on 5,690 Posts

Wow, that rally sucks. I'm subbing to this thread to see how this progresses. I hope they get you on the road soon.
I wish I could offer some help or advice but I'm not familiar with the Sportster S models.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:56 AM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
I think you posted in the wrong "Sportster" section, your bike is the new Sporster S. Those engine noises don't sound good. Sounds like a bad experience that's not improving. Good luck.

John
sorry guy- not a sportster s- its a nightster special. It does use a version of the revmax motor- but a different bike.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:08 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,726 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Yes, and still posted in wrong forum.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 04-30-2024 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:20 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,313 Likes on 861 Posts

From the forum description:
883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.

This is the right forum for problems with a Nightster.

The following users liked this post:
AsphaltAdventurer (05-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Stranded and Frustrated: Seeking Advice After My New Harley's Engine Failure