Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

robertkitchens' Dyna "Build"- 06 FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:02 AM
robertkitchens
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedboxer04
Wow! That root beer color is insane!! What’s the actual color or paint code?

No paint code, this stuff comes on a roll by the yard haha. You ought to see it in the evening sun, glows almost gold. The color is from KPMF, it's Copper Black Starflake. Google it, its awesome!

Old 10-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Boostedboxer04
Road Captain
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Ohhhh. I didn’t realize that part was also wrap haha

Old 10-25-2017, 04:12 PM
BobbyH83
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the details on the vinyl. That color is awesome. I need to get some prices and see if having mine wrapped is feasible.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:07 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

800'ish? And you say the life expectancy is what?
And maintenance(washing and detailing) guidelines.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2017, 09:57 PM
robertkitchens
Novice

Originally Posted by REW13
800'ish? And you say the life expectancy is what?
And maintenance(washing and detailing) guidelines.

Thanks
I'm guessing a ballpark of 800ish, could be less could be more. Life expectancy is all in care of it, but 3-5 years is what most manufacturers recommend for ease of removal, but it'll go a longer than that. I think you'd be tired of it and would have already changed it up by the time it reached the end of its life. It's maintenance free, I'd recommend just keeping a sealant (wax) on it to keep the vinyl protected and nice. You can wash it the same way you normal wash painted stuff, just car wash soap and a mitt. I usually just keep mine wiped down with Lucas Slick Mist, keeps the wrap shiny and protected. Another cool little fact about vinyl is that the sun/heat will take light scratches and abrasions out, like swirl marks from washing.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:26 AM
Outdoorfunguy85
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by confederate
Bike looks fantastic!!! Would love to know more about the vinyl wrap process, where to find it and how much it costs to do a project like this.

Ask help from the veteran installers, why not visit Gatorwraps and request for a quote. I believe they have installers for a vinyl wrap in all major cities.

The following users liked this post:
confederate (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:29 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Well sorry to hear of your initial challenges (albeit good learning I guess), but your bike looks fantastic, really nice and creative. What next do you think? A bike that good looking is just screaming for a bigger engine yknow...

Old 10-26-2017, 11:29 AM
robertkitchens
Novice

Originally Posted by robbyville
Well sorry to hear of your initial challenges (albeit good learning I guess), but your bike looks fantastic, really nice and creative. What next do you think? A bike that good looking is just screaming for a bigger engine yknow...
Haha thanks man, I don't really have any other plan other than some kind of better seat and different bars. I'm with you on the bigger engine, it'd be awesome. No real plans on that yet though haha. Just gotta see where things go. I did do some stuff to it last night, kinda boring but I'll update the thread later tonight.

The following users liked this post:
robbyville (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 04:17 PM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 187 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow...great transformation..... looks great!

Old 11-02-2017, 09:21 PM
robertkitchens
Novice

I'm going to go ahead and apologize in advance for some grungy, dim garage pictures haha, but lets jump into it;

School and work have both picked up lately, so I haven't had much time to spend in the wind. Originally I had no plans for bags, I couldn't stand the look of them, but after riding with just my school back pack, I broke down and started piecing together what I wanted. After scouring eBay, I found a Harley bags and 90 bucks later they were headed my way. Now i know what you're thinking, "90 bucks for a pair of bags is cheap, they cant be worth anything", I thought that too haha. They showed up a week(ish) ago, here they are:

The right side bag has a little rash on it, it doesn't bother me all that much. I knew that when I put bags on my bike, I would have to move my turn signals, which I was reluctant to do. I ended up finding my solution in the form of a Moons MC tail light with integrated blinkers. I miss my signals on the fender struts but Moons did a very good job on quality, it fit as it should, was super bright, and I didn't habe to use resistors as I had no "hyperflash". For brackets, I just went with Easy Brackets from Great Bike Gear that I could keep my quick detach sissy bar with, if I ever use it. Only thing I don't care for much is how far the brackets push the bags off the bike, it's a little excessive but all is well. Very nicely made product. So that left me with this:

The quick detach pieces on the fender strut aren't too bad, an easy sacrifice to make for having bags that I can have off in seconds. Only gripe is how far they stick out when retaining the sissy bar mounts.

The bag side brackets are super nice, and work very well.

The taillight is super bright, turn signals and tag light both are as well. Really a plug and play kinda deal, and no need to add resistors, at least in my case. This option was more attractive to me than doing the signals on a tag bracket.

Now comes the iffy part haha, when I found my bags, I also found a NOS red caliper that seemed to be a pretty good deal and thought it'd be kinda cool, so I got it headed my way. Took a break from Accounting homework one night to put it and new front pads (Paid $53 bucks for genuine HD pads, should've just went with EBC) on the bike, ended up with this:

It's growing on me slowly, would've looked better on a different colored bike maybe but anyways I go the brakes bled, and that's it for now. It's not really much of a "build" but more of just a thread to keep up with progress and maybe to help someone given the opportunity. The next thing I plan on doing is bars, I think I'm going to go with Biltwell products, probably 10" Murdock Risers and their Mid Height Tracker Bars. Anyways, thanks again for viewing!

Quick Reply: robertkitchens' Dyna "Build"- 06 FXDB