Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDB Oil Leak (fixed) - Internet caution

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Mr.
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDB Oil Leak (fixed) - Internet caution

Hi all,

So i discovered an oil leak after the engine gets stinking hot (riding the Strand at the Lone Star Rally )

I did some googling and found about the 'Dyna induction leaks and oil mist problems' - with the fix being an external breather system.
....then ordered a $50 system.

After that (note the problem here!) I went to the garage and started pulling my intake apart

First issue was that a chrome breather plus was loose so removed and found damaged 'o' rings - problem #1

Then I thought I would check the torque on the bolts... bolt was hanging out - Problem #2

(I actually put my finger on it and could tell it wasn't even threaded in (# worry #2 - stripped threads)

So, then I pulled the cap of the other breather - damaged 'o' rings and loose bolt too.

('blow by' can be seen on engine - 'o' rings on this part were in place but breather bracket had no sealing front or back )

Luckily after all cleaned up - no damaged threads and torqued back up with thread locker installed

'o' rings are thin type not available at Lowes or Autozone so will be getting HD parts ordered..
...in the meantime installed some random parts from autozone and pipe i had to make a temporary breather system (may be improved to become permanent ) Pipe - Tee - Fuel Filter (Catch pot) and vent filter

So, moral of the story - I thought my FXDB had an issue and the internet backed up the worry about an 'inherent' problem - only to find poor workmanship by previous owner (the only job he did apparently!)

Hope it helps someone down the line

Old 11-07-2017, 08:10 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Yeah, a lot of people get in a hurry and don't do good work.

I hope that's temporary I'd run my breather behind or beside the engine, and use heat resistant tubing. If you do get oil mist out the filter... it's coming right back on your engine.. and your non heat resistant tubing is laying right on the engine.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:08 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,336 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I ordered a external breather kit from DK Customs, some real good folks there. Check them out, let them know what you have and maybe the have something for you. Archergodwin has a good point here about your filter location. I routed the black tubing between the front pushrods and down along side my oil cooler. The hoses allow gravity to get the oil down.