Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 V-Twin Oil 20W-50

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 05:07 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Mobil 1 V-Twin Oil 20W-50

Is this a good oil for a Dyna?

Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 AM
cutter4292
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure is.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:16 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Do you want opinions or written results?
i always recommend people look up the test on oil and learn to read the results as it is pretty EZ!
Look for PSI, the three ball bearing test , amounts of boron, zink.
Otherwise, you just get peoples opinions that probably never took the time to read it either.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Do you want opinions or written results?
i always recommend people look up the test on oil and learn to read the results as it is pretty EZ!
Look for PSI, the three ball bearing test , amounts of boron, zink.
Otherwise, you just get peoples opinions that probably never took the time to read it either.
I guess that I am looking for experience based opinions.

Oil analysis is far from easy, and, the best results are emperically based. If there is not a sufficient sample size, the results will not be accurate. For instance, most fleets do this, so getting good oil results for a Cummins ISX engine would be easy. I do not know how many Harley guys send their oil in for analysis (so the data base to draw conclusions on may be too small), but will contact the oil analysis firms and find out.

If nothing else, I will send my oil in & at least know what trace metals are in it for the oil & conditions that I run it in. I can then either change the oil or start adjusting the oil change interval.

Last edited by MMH; 07-19-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:45 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

My real world experience with Mobil 1 synthetic was it caused a very noticeable increase in top end noise; even with Rock Out inserts. Dumped it back out almost immediately and went back to Valvoline VR1 SAE 50. She's stone quiet again. VR1 has higher levels of phosphorous and zinc than is typically found in motor oil...

The following 2 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
Kevin R (07-19-2018), TejasJeff (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 AM
ricklee4570
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
My real world experience with Mobil 1 synthetic was it caused a very noticeable increase in top end noise; even with Rock Out inserts. Dumped it back out almost immediately and went back to Valvoline VR1 SAE 50. She's stone quiet again. VR1 has higher levels of phosphorous and zinc than is typically found in motor oil...
I noticed the same thing. Increase in engine noise using Mobile 1 20W50 V-Twin Synthetic. However, that doesn't mean there is increased wear. I can not find anyone who has used Mobile 1 long term who has ever experienced any engine problems related to the oil.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Kingglide549
Banned

Originally Posted by MMH
I guess that I am looking for experience based opinions.

Oil analysis is far from easy, and, the best results are emperically based. If there is not a sufficient sample size, the results will not be accurate. For instance, most fleets do this, so getting good oil results for a Cummins ISX engine would be easy. I do not know how many Harley guys send their oil in for analysis (so the data base to draw conclusions on may be too small), but will contact the oil analysis firms and find out.

If nothing else, I will send my oil in & at least know what trace metals are in it for the oil & conditions that I run it in. I can then either change the oil or start adjusting the oil change interval.
It just becomes a ford /Chevy argument and my dad can beat your dad deal.........

Old 07-19-2018, 09:07 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
Is this a good oil for a Dyna?
It's what I used last oil change...Mobile 1 20w50 in engine, Mobile 1 75w140 in tranny, Belray Primary lube in primary. Prepping for my 10K service and will be changing based on some things I've read here. Switching to redline in tranny and primary and I guess valvoline now after reading Darryl's response.
Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
My lack of experience with Harley is about to really come out now...I thought that noise was normal. Valvoline VR1 SAE 50 has been added to the list of items for the 10K service.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Kingglide549
Banned

Here is a simple chart.
No matter what ones you read they all come up about the same winners

http://www.thedirtforum.com/oils.htm

The following users liked this post:
TejasJeff (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by TejasJeff
It's what I used last oil change...Mobile 1 20w50 in engine, Mobile 1 75w140 in tranny, Belray Primary lube in primary. Prepping for my 10K service and will be changing based on some things I've read here. Switching to redline in tranny and primary and I guess valvoline now after reading Darryl's response.

My lack of experience with Harley is about to really come out now...I thought that noise was normal. Valvoline VR1 SAE 50 has been added to the list of items for the 10K service.
There is a certain amount of noise due to the slop fit of the 4 carrier bolts and the rocker shafts; the shafts have notches in them that the edges of the bolts pass through. Some bikes will have more noise than others depending on clearances with those notches. I never though my bike was ever really noisy but I did install Rock Out inserts and it did make a very noticeable difference. Those things are inexpensive and well worth it.

http://www.rockout.biz/

I've always preferred to use straight weight oil in the engine; HD actually does recommend it in warmer climates. I've tried synthetics in the past and top end noise always seems to increase, so, it's good old dino juice with high zinc and phosphorus in the engine, for me

The following 2 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (07-19-2018), TejasJeff (07-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 V-Twin Oil 20W-50