Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Issue After Stupidity

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 06:51 PM
Michael Crowe
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this post is a little old but I’m having similar problems with my 2012 street glide. I did a burnout and since then the bike will shift thru all gears and but will act as if the throttle has no control because I can be in first gear let the clutch lever out all the way and give it the beans and the bike won’t move. The clutch plates are new high performance plates from j&p cycles and have maybe 1000-1500 miles on them. I removed the plates to inspect after this issue started and they appear fine so I put it all back together and adjusted accordingly with no result. Anyone have any additional insight? Thanks!

Old 09-19-2021, 07:27 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Did you check the belt?

Remove the derby cover, put the bike in gear and roll it (clutch lever released).

Does the clutch hub rotate?

If the hub rotates, then it means the clutch is slipping.

If you are able to push the bike in gear and the clutch hub does not rotate, it means you have a loose (or stripped) transmission sprocket.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:14 PM
Michael Crowe
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not check it that way, no. I’m pretty mechanically inclined but when it comes to actually diagnosing them Harley never seems to get me stumped every now and then 😂 I will check that as I’ve heard numerous people have had issues with the transmission sprockets. I’m guessing it’s going to be that. I couldn’t really find a good video on removal and install of those.. is it pretty simple once you get the back side of the primary cover off? To my understanding you take that as well as the chain tensioner, chains, sprockets and clutch basket off, remove the back side of the primary case and then the transmission sprocket is accessible and looks fairly straight forward but there’s no actual video on removal of the sprocket itself. I’m hoping I’m talking about what you are referring to. I’ve heard people call it a drive belt pulley and the transmission sprocket. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Michael Crowe; 09-19-2021 at 09:17 PM.