Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Issue After Stupidity

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 06:08 PM
SkurtBob92
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Issue After Stupidity

Hey all. Starting with the fact that yes I did a burnout on my 2007 street bob. I know with stupidity there are much more possible consequences. Im not looking for the classic “well don’t burn out” answers. Just curious as to something

I was riding through the state park just my buddy and I and we were basically just riding the park. I haven’t had the bike for long and wanted to see if I could burnout. Did a couple. Of like 3 seconds. No big deal. And then we proceeded to keep going through park. However, immediately my bikes clutch wouldn’t engage. I was in first gear and it was as if I was in neutral. Same for all gears. Bike wouldn’t pull in any gear. I was thinking this will be fun I’m stuck in a state park with absolutely no people. Anyway got a hold of the rangers and asked him to bring whatever tools he could find. With a couple Allen wrenches and adjustable wrenches I took the derby cover off, readjusted the clutch, in the primary and the cable like you’re supposed to or whatever and the bike was back to normal. Rode almost an hour home with no issues at all in any gear. Ran perfect. Just curious as to why this happened? Or has it happened to anyone else before? Or is my clutch weak and going to need to be replaced soon? Thanks in advance

Old 10-19-2018, 06:44 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

How many miles are on the clutch? While "3 seconds" of abuse isn't enough to ruin a new clutch, you may have been on the last few miles of the clutch already. Especially if the topend is built.

The only thing I can think of that could have happened is that the clutch overheated, then cooled and returned to normal service.

A few "burn-out" tips~

1. Get off of the seat.
2. Use your thighs to correct the bike's lean or lateral movement.
3. Use water or sand or something to get the initial break of traction threshold lower. (This will keep your clutch happier, longer.)
4. Don't attempt with a hot woman on the pillion.
5. Don't do your first burn-out ever in front of thousands of people. (Just don't.)
6. Some use a curb to stabilize the front. (Do this if you aren't used to using your front brake while working the throttle.)
7. Once the wheel gets spinning after a few seconds, you'll notice the threshold of traction may change. (It should lessen.)
8. If you enter a "burn-out" contest, plan on blowing your tire for the win. (Have another way to get home, unless there's a tire guy right there.)
9. I would suggest not attempting a burn-out if you have a laced rear wheel. (It's just not good for the wire spokes.)

After you do the burn-out, your engine may likely be "superheated." Do what you can to get some cool air over it pronto. Engine's don't like heat. Especially modded one's.

Here you go...

Attached Thumbnails Clutch Issue After Stupidity-photo701.jpg   Clutch Issue After Stupidity-photo655.jpg  

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 10-19-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:17 PM
SkurtBob92
Advanced

Hahahaha. Much thanks for the quick reply with some helpful tips. As far as I know it’s the original clutch. Bike is 07 with 18000 miles. I think it’s fine because it was perfect after I readjusted it. Maybe it just got stuck. Who knows. I’m pretty sure it’s just because I suck at burnouts.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Two things could have happened... Yes, your clutch got really hot, which will affect the friction properties of the plates... Also, you may have burned a thousand miles worth of friction material off the plates, requiring an adjustment to make up for the lost material.

Honestly, I think the stock clutch plates are really pretty robust and last a long time, so you may still have a lot of life left.

BUT... Definitely adjust it again, exactly as spelled out in the manual, when everything is completely cold. Your current adjustment may be fine for now, but it also may start to slip again. Adjusting the clutch "hot" gives a false measurement... Basically, the screw will sometimes thread further in before seating than it will when cold. When it cools off, it's now adjusted too tight which could (not definitely) result in a slipping clutch again.

Nothing wrong with burnouts, if you enjoy them and you aren't risking hitting anyone... As long as you're okay with the "abuse" factor...

Last edited by F86; 10-19-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:48 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,313 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Call me naïve, but never had the urge to do a burn out is the clutch in a slip zone all this time while the tire is smoking or is the clutch all the way out. Seen videos of guys shifting as far 3rd gear and still smoking.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:21 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Clutch is all the way out, once you're spinning. And yes, shifting during your "spin" requires very fast shifting without using the clutch. Just a slight reduction of throttle for a split second allows a shift to occur. Then back into the throttle, hard. I've seen bikes go thru all the gears in 4 or 5 seconds to blow the tire. Takes about 30 seconds of 150mph wheel speed to blow a tire. But beware, it does superheat your engine, so keep an eye on oils and everything else as your motorcycle can tell you if there's something amiss.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:10 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Can't understand why people will do a 'burn out' ! Stupid in my opinion...b.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:25 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

As far as the NHRA is concerned, there's a science behind the "burn-out."

On the street, well, you know.

During a burn-out competition? Sure, every once ina while, anyone can act like a 6 year old. It IS fun, you know. As long as you know how.

Yes, I AM a child. 😜

The following users liked this post:
heavyd1 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:46 PM
SkurtBob92
Advanced

Thanks for all the help everyone. Clutch is working fine. Must have just gotten hot. Anyway I know I definitely need practice haha. 3 seconds felt like forever. Just need get to about 10 seconds I think I’ll be good haha

Old 08-07-2021, 07:11 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Do like I do... Save your burnouts for rental and demo bikes.

Quick Reply: Clutch Issue After Stupidity