Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melting terminals

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:02 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

I agree that, if you have a prayer of saving that battery, you're going to have to be able to dress the terminals so you can get a good, tight connection on each one. It might not be possible given the amount of damage they appear to have sustained. That amount of damage also points to damage to the lugs on the battery leads as well. Are you sure they are undamaged?

If the leads do not sit flush with the terminals when installed, this could well be the root of the problem.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:06 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Originally Posted by im
Non factory batteries sometimes require a small spacer between post and cable as the posts are not flush with side of case.
Installation without spacer will cause Ring on cable to not sit flat against terminal and can cables can get loose due to vibrations.
I was just going to mention that

Although that "Duracell" battery above was made by the same Co. that makes them For Harley (East Penn Manufacturing), that's the difference between buying OE and buying aftermarket ... Flush Terminals vs. NON Flush

Old 11-17-2018, 10:23 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,250 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcougar

Maybe you have a cell or two shorted inside the battery causing an extremely high amperage draw. Several other possibilities too. If everything was working okay before you changed the battery I would suspect a bad battery, as long as you tightened the cables to the battery properly.

Originally Posted by John CC
Usually that is caused by resistance in the connections. High current draw through a resistive connection generates heat. It may be too late, but if nothing is damaged, you can try cleaning the connections (use sand paper) and reinstalling them, coating them with dielectric grease, and torquing them correctly. But if they're to far gone the only recourse is to replace the connectors (or, if I understand you correctly, the battery.) If the battery terminals melted, the battery is toast.

Another possible cause, although less likely, is excessive current draw by the starter, but, usually, if that's the case, the smoke will come from the starter or the solenoid, not the battery.
Never use sand paper or any other grit contained cleaner. Instead use a brass wire brush, and not one with steel bristles. You`ll thank me later.

Originally Posted by im
Lets see,
You put this BRAND NEW battery in last week and went for a 5 mile ride.
Starter cranked slow out of the box with BRAND NEW battery but you assumed it was from sitting on a shelf.
Was battery ever placed on a charger, trickle charger, battery tender or anything similar?
TODAY, bike turned over slow but would not fire. You report that start switch was held down for 10 seconds during this attempt.
Why did you replace the the original battery?
Did you have the original OLD battery tested?
Did you check the charging system prior to original OLD battery replacement?
When the NEW battery was brought home...Did you test that NEW battery?
When NEW battery was installed...Did you test charging system?
These questions are important in order to isolate if problem is with battery, charging system or loose ground.
A battery in a poor charging state that is forced to spin a starter will meet with a huge amount of resistance and cause wiring and battery to heat....if someone was to attempt multiple prolonged attempted starts then things start to melt.
All very good points. He needs to follow your lead.

Last edited by mud; 11-17-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Kcougar
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by im
Lets see,
You put this BRAND NEW battery in last week and went for a 5 mile ride.
Starter cranked slow out of the box with BRAND NEW battery but you assumed it was from sitting on a shelf.
Was battery ever placed on a charger, trickle charger, battery tender or anything similar?
TODAY, bike turned over slow but would not fire. You report that start switch was held down for 10 seconds during this attempt.
Why did you replace the the original battery?
Did you have the original OLD battery tested?
Did you check the charging system prior to original OLD battery replacement?
When the NEW battery was brought home...Did you test that NEW battery?
When NEW battery was installed...Did you test charging system?
I did have the old battery tested. It failed a load test. We are getting to cold temperatures here in NC but luckily we can pretty much ride year round here. So I thought why not replace it now. Charging system hasn't shown any issues. I assumed I didnt have to check a new battery. I never have before. Battery was never on a tender as I ride pretty frequently and generally not just 5 mile trips.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Kcougar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John CC
I agree that, if you have a prayer of saving that battery, you're going to have to be able to dress the terminals so you can get a good, tight connection on each one. It might not be possible given the amount of damage they appear to have sustained. That amount of damage also points to damage to the lugs on the battery leads as well. Are you sure they are undamaged?

If the leads do not sit flush with the terminals when installed, this could well be the root of the problem.
I'd plan on not even saving the battery. Thanks for the input though I've never had a battery do this. I'd rather be safe and buy a new one if I have to. I swear they were flush and tight. I'm going to see if they are willing to exchange the battery if not I'll just bite the bullet and go back to HD.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Kcougar
Intermediate

Thanks for the ideas on where to start guys. I'm going to pick up a new battery, check that new battery, and hook everything back up and go from there. I'll post with results of the new battery and the charging system test.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:36 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Did you Receive and Use these Spacers?

Old 11-17-2018, 11:55 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Before you try starting the bike check the ground cable connection. If it's loose or dirty it won't matter how good the connections are at the battery.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:57 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by im
Non factory batteries sometimes require a small spacer between post and cable as the posts are not flush with side of case.
Installation without spacer will cause Ring on cable to not sit flat against terminal and can cables can get loose due to vibrations.
Originally Posted by multihdrdr
I was just going to mention that

Although that "Duracell" battery above was made by the same Co. that makes them For Harley (East Penn Manufacturing), that's the difference between buying OE and buying aftermarket ... Flush Terminals vs. NON Flush
Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Did you Receive and Use these Spacers?

My money is on this concept...

(And proper charging prior to use)

Multi: Nice to see your red arrows... I haven't noticed them in a bit!

Last edited by F86; 11-17-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:22 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,314 Likes on 2,358 Posts

For giggles and grins I looked up the Duracell battery for your bike and it called for a 20HL-BS or a 20HL battery, seems your battery is short a letter. I don't know what the difference is. Also agree on using the little shims that usually come with the battery. I also believe in putting the "new" battery on a smart charger till fully charged prior to installation and first start. If I may add one more bit of insight , a 5 mile ride is only putting a surface charge on the battery something a little longer will help the battery.

Quick Reply: Melting terminals