Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles should brakes go

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:04 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts
Default How many miles should brakes go

I am in need of new pads at 8200 miles. What are most of you getting out of your Dyna?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How many miles should brakes go

24k original pads half life yet of em but mainly hyway miles

Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 PM
WdGldDave
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to replace my rear pads at 10k. I'm at 12k on my front ones and they are only half worn. I'm trying to use less rear brake now.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Davesurf
Cruiser

Changed out the rear pads at around 16,000. haven't looked at the front pads since then but I'm thinking I'd better check them now that I got 21,000 miles on the bike

Old 07-04-2007, 12:16 AM
kolja
Cruiser

Changed my rear pads when i did my rear tire (seemed convenient!) at around 12,500. Still on the original front pads.

Exact mileage depends on how/where you ride (ie highway, town - that sort of thing).

Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 AM
Punty
Road Warrior

It really does depend on How you ride and I too replace my padswith tire changes.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:58 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, seems 8k is a little on the early side for replacement. I ride a combination of street and highway, but anyone who has driven in SoCal know that either street or freeway you will be using your brakes alot. BTW, my bike never did stop making that constant rubbing noise from the front pads and I have heard this is a common issue but I wonder how much that adds to premature brake wear?

Old 07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

8K is way to soon to replace pads. Your brakes pads should float on the rotors, not rub, that will cause premature pad wear. You may have a burr in/on the piston keeping your pads from fully retracting. Use a feeler gage and check the clearance between the pad and disk with the piston retracted. Check this by removing the caliper and using a C-clamp and wood strips (paint stirrers are great, keeps from messing things up) to see how freely the piston moves. Is this the front or back? If it's the back, you may be toeing the brake and not realise that you are. With the front, in city traffic, you could be applying slight pressure as well.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:09 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member

Well I should qualify this post. Ihave not seenthe pads, I havemy bike at a local indy shop right now having the shifter shaft seal replaced and since I have never had any service work done, I decided to have him perform an early 10k mile service. I have done all the fluid changes myself as well as several upgrades but when I discovered this tranny leak I just didn't feel comfortable tearing into the bike that deep. Nor do I really have the time anymore. I would rather ride than wrench and I hardly find time to ride. But back to the topic, this is a local guy who seems to have a good reputation and I hope he is doing me right! As far as the noise, I read early on from various forums that the constant rubbing of the front pads is pretty common. I do not toe the brake pedal, in fact Ihave forward controls and don't even have my foot near the brake pedal unless I am applying the rear brake. I am also quite sure I don't "feather" the front, although I am a firm believer of using the front brake. I know many riders rely heavily on the rear and probably use it 80% of the time but I am close to the 50-50 mark. Most of the time I ride with my legs laid out forward and the outside of my ankles resting on the footpeg so I have to make a concerted effort to get my right foot to the brake pedal. I don't ride this way in traffic though! But this style of riding has me using the front brake for most moderate braking situations.
Once I get my scoot back I will see if the new brake job has made any difference with the noise. BTW the mechanic did say he felt this was premature wear, he said they should usually go 10k or more.