Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Club Style Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleyofthegun
Thanks for all the info. I plan on building my bike little by little.
I'm going to address my front end first. I am currently running fat bob trees but i still have my mid glide trees. I just need to powder coat them. The only thing is, i notice alot of folks that build their bikes club style often trade out their entire 49mm front end for a 39mm narrow glide front end. I have never ridden a narrow glide 39mm. Are theymore nimble as far as turning or are guys just going narrow 39mm to lighten the front for doing wheelies. Damn i really wish Harley would let you rent used bikes so a person could decide what they want and don't want in a bike before they invest.
Really? Never seen that done before. Why would you?

Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That's really weird that nobody has heard it suggested that you run a narrow Glide front end on a club style bike. I'm pretty sure it only pertains if you plan on wheeling the bike. Even in some of the post that I read here on the HD forum guys have said that 49 mm front ends make it much more difficult to get the front tire off the ground. Then again I have heard other guys say that's complete BS. I was really wondering for a handling issue. Just trying to figure out how a 39 mm narrow Glide handles compared to a 49 mm mid Glide?

Old 01-11-2019, 01:53 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

I have no problem bringing my front wheel up with my 49mm front end. I havent yet seen any professional HD stunters do that or recommend that either. I call BS. If youre worried about the front weight for wheeling, then you should keep your laced wheel

My setup: converted to mags and 49mm cartridge front end - no problem with wheelies.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:37 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 586 Likes on 333 Posts

Zero problem with wheelies and the 49mm front end. You're just creating more work for yourself doing that swap, with probably not much benefit...Racetech springs, 2 over tubes, and a heavy oil, mine is just fine at getting it up...

Old 01-11-2019, 05:05 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

If a Dodge Demon can lift the front tires, any Harley can. It's just a matter of power and traction.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:34 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Here is a link to a post below where a guy mentions 49mm front ends being too heavy. I am not saying he is right but i am definitely not dreaming when i say i heard it said and read it more than a few times since looking into club style bikes.
As far as not seeing professional dyna stunt riders running narrow glide frontends, that can't be totally accurate because FXR's are often used by the pro's and FXR's come stock with narrow glide frontends.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/826109-dyna-wheelies-2.html

Last edited by Valleyofthegun; 01-12-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:28 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

They said nothing about converting to a 39mm on 06+ dyna tho? On the thread that you linked, they are comparing fxr and 05 and earlier with 06+, and not the front end. Or did I missed something? The weight different is not that significant. Of course it could help a little bit with the wheelie game, but why convert this when your main reason is to only(?) make it lighter to bring the front wheel up? The tubes are bearly heavier than the 39 mm tubes. The trees are a bit wider and heavier, but the placement is nearer to the frame and it won’t affect that much. I may be wrong, but that is what I think.

Go go for it if you want, it’s your bike after all. But doing that only to “cheat” is a bit weird in my mind. The thread is also 7 years old. Some people manage to wheelie on a 06 with stock 88”(stage 1) and stock belt - basically a 04-05 (injection) dyna with late model frame. The YouTuber theofreakindore for example. And also me I converted to chain tho, and sticky rear tire made a big big difference. Other then that, stock engine and heavier mags. I think lighter button front is a better upgrade(weight further away from the frame), like lighter rotors and calipers and wheels. Again, I have mags and it’s still “easy”. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2019, 01:50 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Sorry i should have highlighted the exact portion of the post that i was reffering to. Which is this
("I don't have enough power to even get it to balance point. Granted my front end is heavy as f*ck. The guys ur watching are like u said on fxrs and xts. 39mm forks and spoked mag wheels.(their very light compared to our 49 mm forks and thicker trees")

I did one quick search and found someone mentioning that 49mm frontends are more difficult to wheelie. Someone said in a previous comment "i call BS", like i am making it up the fact that i have heard it said fairly often that 49mm make it more difficult to wheelie.

In the beginning of my post i said that "i have heard it but i have also heard just as many guys say that it is bullshit. I am not arguing that it is true and i see guys wheeling 49mm all the time. I have no plans you switch my 49 mm front end to a narrow Glide. I was asking though if anybody has experience with both narrow Glide and mid Glide and if they could weigh in on how both compare as far as handling goes.

Last edited by Valleyofthegun; 01-12-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:20 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Yeah, the one that wrote that drove a fat bob right? Front end of them are way heavier, wider tire, beefier wheels, dual discs and heavier trees(even dual headlights, if we can go that far). He also mentioned that he had to stand on the passenger pegs.
Youre correct, you did asked for a comparison between 39mm and 49mm, but on a 06+ frame right? I actually shouldnt had replied to the thread because I have no idea and never seen or read about this mod. I have only seen the opposite conversion, narrow to wide, and not the other way. Do you have any link to someone that has done it?

I recon stunters often use fxr for its rigid fram, lightness and price, and not because of the narrow front end. Some also convert them to a aftermarket brand front end, and they are beefier then 39mm.
With the HDs showa front, 39 and 49, 49 are heavier, but with that small weight difference, I dont think the statement that 49 make it more difficult to wheelie is correct. Maybe a little, but not MORE difficult. Correct me if im wrong.

Btw, they guy you quoted seemed like he doesnt know how to wheelie properly. He revealed that by saying that rear brake may be to harsh to stay on the balance point rear brake is key

Last edited by Bob_fxdb; 01-12-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:15 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Cggorman is right, anything can be wheelied if it has enough power and traction because i have seen videos of guys wheeleing fat bobs. The unknown industries team makes wheeling baggers look easy. There is even a guy on youtube that wheelies a fully dressed Honda goldwing.

As far as if the poster i quoted knows what he is talking about because he said " maybe the rear brake is too harsh", i assume he means if it bites too hard. I have watched a few " how to wheelie a dyna videos" on youtube and apperantly the rear brake is very important because you use it and the throttle to stay right at the balance point. I couldn't personally attest to that though because i have never wheelied a motorcycle. I use to power wheelie bmx bikes as a kid but i could never do the slow controlled cool looking wheelies that also require using the rear brake. It's amazing how some people make it look so easy.
I saw a video two weeks ago of a 100lb woman that was 4ft nothing hop on a road glide. She could barely touch concrete with her tippy toes and she was struggling to keep the bike upright because of the weight. As soon as she started moving she wheelied the bike with ease. The video will definitely will make you question your manhood if like me you can't wheelie. Here is this woman with a bidy no bigger than your average 12 y/o girl and she makes wheeling a bagger look easy.

Quick Reply: Help, Club Style Dyna