Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 wide glide carborator question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Spacehog
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as a side note, I see you mentioned the tank is currently off. I just re-installed the tank on my '04 Wide Glide due to installing a Golan fuel valve (among doing other stuff). I highly recommend doing so - $ permitting of course. It eliminates the vacuum line connection which could also eliminate a possible breakdown on the road in the event you lose vacuum to the factory petcock. Works great. I preferred the Golan over the Pingel for 2 reasons:
1 - The relative positioning of the 3 settings. i.e. - 'Off' is in the center with 'On' 90deg fwd and 'Reserve' 90deg back. Minor issue but both in different directions from 'Off' Makes it easier to locate desired positioning w/o looking.
2 - The nice ball bearing feel of the lever which also 'feels' itself into proper place with a slight detent.
The Pingel has 'On' and 'Reserve' both in the same direction 1 and 2 steps away respectively from 'Off' and w/o the 'detent' feel.
A friend has the Pingel on his '06 Softail and it works great. No issues. I just preferred the Golan for personal reasons stated.

The chrome finish on both units is very nice too.

I got the 76-312F-CS
http://www.golanproducts.com/petcocks_ball.html

Although it has a 5/16" nipple, I did manage to get a 1/4" hose on it. I used proper fuel injection line clamps and no leaks at all.
For example:
Amazon Amazon
I'd recommend Gates or Continental Elite (formerly Goodyear) for hose. I used higher end fuel injection line.
Amazon Amazon
Tank was already off so why not spend a few extra bucks for better quality which equals safety I figured..

I know subject matter was a bit off course but I hope it was helpful in light of your current carb project.

Spacehog

Last edited by Spacehog; 01-10-2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Website was going haywire and 'lost' my message.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:50 AM
Im2cool4u9009
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spacehog
Just as a side note, I see you mentioned the tank is currently off. I just re-installed the tank on my '04 Wide Glide due to installing a Golan fuel valve (among doing other stuff). I highly recommend doing so - $ permitting of course. It eliminates the vacuum line connection which could also eliminate a possible breakdown on the road in the event you lose vacuum to the factory petcock. Works great. I preferred the Golan over the Pingel for 2 reasons:
1 - The relative positioning of the 3 settings. i.e. - 'Off' is in the center with 'On' 90deg fwd and 'Reserve' 90deg back. Minor issue but both in different directions from 'Off' Makes it easier to locate desired positioning w/o looking.
2 - The nice ball bearing feel of the lever which also 'feels' itself into proper place with a slight detent.
The Pingel has 'On' and 'Reserve' both in the same direction 1 and 2 steps away respectively from 'Off' and w/o the 'detent' feel.
A friend has the Pingel on his '06 Softail and it works great. No issues. I just preferred the Golan for personal reasons stated.

The chrome finish on both units is very nice too.

I got the 76-312F-CS
http://www.golanproducts.com/petcocks_ball.html

Although it has a 5/16" nipple, I did manage to get a 1/4" hose on it. I used proper fuel injection line clamps and no leaks at all.
For example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'd recommend Gates or Continental Elite (formerly Goodyear) for hose. I used higher end fuel injection line.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tank was already off so why not spend a few extra bucks for better quality which equals safety I figured..

I know subject matter was a bit off course but I hope it was helpful in light of your current carb project.

Spacehog

Funny u should mention that I bought this one and it comes without the vacume it's just not the one u have dont have that money to buy that one but I have been told this one is great too and the one same one that came of just the stock obviously has the vacume line this new one doesnt . That one that I took off was stock so it lasted a long time being a 96 lol

Old 01-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Spacehog
6th Gear

Cool. The elimination of the vacuum connection is what counts. I know folks have modified/removed the vacuum spring/assembly from the factory valve but I've never seen a factory non-vacuum petcock (if that's what that is).
What's important and/or helpful (at least to me), is if you ever have to drain the tank again (aarrggghh%@$&@$!..), all you have to do is remove the hose to the petcock since there's no vacuum diaphragm holding it shut by default when the bike's off. Now just drain it right from there as opposed to doing the whole messy drain-thing from the crossover hose under the front of the tank. Was extra $ and work I didn't want to do at first but now I'm glad I did.

Spacehog

Old 01-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Just a thought and opinion of other options for the vacuum on petcock.
It is a safety item. When carbs get old, the needle on float can start to leak. They also can get trash under them. Then, if you forget to turn off fuel, gas can pour from carb onto the ground and depending on how bike is parked into engine.

The vacuum petcock is easly held open with a hand vacuum pump. It is also very handy for pulling fluid out of calipers when you change out brake fluid. When Harley switched back to DOT 4, this is very important maintenance item. On ABS, it is mandatory.

I personally hate manual petcocks. When I do remember to cut it off, I need a sign on my windshield...Turn on the fuel dummy.
These days, it could get you run over
Again just my opinion. Not trying to tell someone what they should do.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-10-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:49 AM
Spacehog
6th Gear

Thanks for mentioning the hand held vacuum pump. I wasn't aware of that as a tool. I'm still that green on a lot of stuff (at least bike related). I'm going to look into that as a toolbox addition. I'm actually looking at YouTube tutorials now on proper fluid-change procedures as well so that should tell you about where I am. No problem with a tune-up on a COPO big block Chevy but I have a lot of catching up to do in the Harley world.
It's funny; I've somehow never ever once forgotten to close my petcock (I'm big on safety and RM/PM) - it's just an automatic thought reflex to me - but I have forgotten more than once to turn it on so I'm also definitely worthy of the 'dummy' comment as I go 'Doh!' after the 3rd unsuccessful start attempt and the light bulb clicks on.
Your 'dummy' comment made me laugh too as I had an instant thought-flash of Fred Sanford yelling at Lamont.

Thanks,
Spacehog

Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Im2cool4u9009
Advanced

Originally Posted by cggorman
That rubber seal can roll into the inside bore of the intake manifold and make it nearly impossible to push the carb in. Remove the seal and make sure it's not deformed or damaged. If it's OK, clean the rubber inside and out as well as the mating surface on the manifold. Reinstall the dry seal amd then spread a little motor oil on the inside lip. Then try again with a careful twisting motion. It should pop right in if nothing is wrong.

alright guys used the soap trick and this is how far it went in its sturdy unlined last time not sure it's all the way though

Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Spacehog
Just a minor FYI... Pingel does make a "detent" model as well.

I actually have two tanks, one with a Golan and one with a Pingel. They both work well. I've just always used Pingel, and prefer how they look... Not a big deal, though. They're both well made.

The following users liked this post:
GREENOHAWK69 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:44 AM
Spacehog
6th Gear

Hmmm.. Guess I must've missed that on their website : /

I'll stop here because it's not my intention to hijack the carb-issue thread.

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Im2cool4u9009
Advanced

Hey guys just a update when I cleaned it up I couldn't not get it in its scuffed and chewed up on the inside went down to harley got a new one and no soap mo wd40 nothing was needed and it slid in like butter. Thanks all of you for all of ur help .

The following users liked this post:
F86 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 04:35 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

That's pretty typical. People want to force it...sometimes by using the breather bolts to pull it together. You have good instincts to question it!

Glad you got it sorted.

Oh, and, T...now I need to go and get that detented Pingel. Thanks for spending my money! (lol)

The only thing I didn't like about them was the vague "on" position. Far too often I just smacked it all the way to "reserve" and took off. Never got stranded bit it would be easy. Fortunately, I have one of the unicorn gauges that's actually close to accurate. At least it was before the tank mods...knock wood...

Last edited by cggorman; 01-10-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 1996 wide glide carborator question