Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 wide glide carborator question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Spacehog
Thanks for mentioning the hand held vacuum pump. I wasn't aware of that as a tool. I'm still that green on a lot of stuff (at least bike related). I'm going to look into that as a toolbox addition. I'm actually looking at YouTube tutorials now on proper fluid-change procedures as well so that should tell you about where I am. No problem with a tune-up on a COPO big block Chevy but I have a lot of catching up to do in the Harley world.
It's funny; I've somehow never ever once forgotten to close my petcock (I'm big on safety and RM/PM) - it's just an automatic thought reflex to me - but I have forgotten more than once to turn it on so I'm also definitely worthy of the 'dummy' comment as I go 'Doh!' after the 3rd unsuccessful start attempt and the light bulb clicks on.
Your 'dummy' comment made me laugh too as I had an instant thought-flash of Fred Sanford yelling at Lamont.

Thanks,
Spacehog
If you get one, they come with a little plastic cup. I use a qt masion jar. I just put two snug holes in a canning jars lid. One hose thru to almost bottom of jar and that one goes on bleader. (Break bleader with 6 point socket and then light thumb pressure snug. Remove socket and put your box wrench on)

Other hose just thru lid about 1/4". Other end to pump. Add what you did out of master to bottom of jar for bubbler. Refill master.

Now pay attention here. Go slow never pulling over 5-8 lbs. When the lid clicks up, repump.

Bubbler mainly for bleading air. The reason you do not go over 5-8 is the cups in the master cup inward and create tremendous force. However, the other way if you pull with too much vacuum can actually pull air into system. Fill that tool box up. I have had my vacuum pump 50 years. Years ago there were all kinds of pots on cars that it has been on.

Reason you should not use master to pump it out is the piston never goes far when braking. However, if you break caliper and push master, the piston cup will go into crud and maybe a little corrosion and shortly, you master will leak.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-10-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

Glad to see you got it figured out …