Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about adding mags to FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Questions about adding mags to FXDB

I am looking to add 13 spoke stock mags to my 2012 FXDB. I have been trying to research on the topic but i can't find the answers i'm looking for. My questions are does anyone know what stock mag models will work? Will i need to mod the mags? Also my current spoke front is 17" and i notice FXDL front mags are 16", will the 1" make much of a difference. Last question, is there any one stock set of take off mags from another model that will work best for adding them to my FXDB. I also plan on adding dual disc's while i add mags. If there is anything else i should know about converting to mags ,please feel free to share. Thanks

Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

The 02-05 dyna 13 spokes will work and maybe some of the sportster 13 spokes, but the 14-17 lowrider mags will be a far easier swap.

I believe you meant rear spoke is 17", as your front should be 19". Going to the smaller 16" rim isn't a problem since you'll end up running a taller sidewall tire, which will make the rear wheel OD the same, but you will also be limited to narrower tires, since its a narrower rim.

The front end on the 13 spoke equipped dyna models was narrower than the 49mm mid glide front end you have. In order to run the 13 spokes in dual disc configuration, you're going to need a new right hand fork slider, caliper, master cylinder, and brake lines. You will have to add spacers between the calipers and their fork mounts to move them further inboard.

The bearings/axles were different on the 13 spokes. You'll have to drill out the rear wheel I believe, to 25 mm so your axle will fit into it. You'll need 25mm bearings which are narrower than the 3/4" bearings they were equipped with. You'll need to machine new wheel spacers due to this.

If you went with the dual disc mags from the 14-17 low rider, you'd still need the master cylinder, caliper, fork slider, and brake lines, but the wheels will be a direct swap with your axles, spacers, disc alignment, etc.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:43 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleywashboy
The 02-05 dyna 13 spokes will work and maybe some of the sportster 13 spokes, but the 14-17 lowrider mags will be a far easier swap.

I believe you meant rear spoke is 17", as your front should be 19". Going to the smaller 16" rim isn't a problem since you'll end up running a taller sidewall tire, which will make the rear wheel OD the same, but you will also be limited to narrower tires, since its a narrower rim.

The front end on the 13 spoke equipped dyna models was narrower than the 49mm mid glide front end you have. In order to run the 13 spokes in dual disc configuration, you're going to need a new right hand fork slider, caliper, master cylinder, and brake lines. You will have to add spacers between the calipers and their fork mounts to move them further inboard.

The bearings/axles were different on the 13 spokes. You'll have to drill out the rear wheel I believe, to 25 mm so your axle will fit into it. You'll need 25mm bearings which are narrower than the 3/4" bearings they were equipped with. You'll need to machine new wheel spacers due to this.

If you went with the dual disc mags from the 14-17 low rider, you'd still need the master cylinder, caliper, fork slider, and brake lines, but the wheels will be a direct swap with your axles, spacers, disc alignment, etc.
Thanks, this was exactly what i was looking for. And yes, i got them backwards. 19 front and 17 rear.
Now i just need to find a set of 14-17 fxdl mags

Old 02-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

So I've started down this road, and am waiting on my fork slider to come in so I can get everything powdercoated. Before you commit to this path, just know it's not cheap. I'm going to be $1500-2000 in it to convert an 07 fxdb to the 14 low rider set up.

Once I get everything completed in the coming months, I had plans to post the transformation and include all my expenses.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleywashboy
So I've started down this road, and am waiting on my fork slider to come in so I can get everything powdercoated. Before you commit to this path, just know it's not cheap. I'm going to be $1500-2000 in it to convert an 07 fxdb to the 14 low rider set up.

Once I get everything completed in the coming months, I had plans to post the transformation and include all my expenses.
I know adding 14-17 fxdl mags are the easiest way but it appears that it is much cheaper to machine a set of 13 spoke sportster mags and buy a conversion kit from TMF or one of the other suppliers.I like the look of the 13 spoke mags much more than the new style fxdl mags like the ones in this pic. It looks like a set of sporster mags can get had for less than 500$. I am in no rush and i have access to a machine shop.
Besides ease was there any other reason you chose to go with 14-17 fxdl over sportster mags, old fxdb mags or others?

I like this style better. Do you know any mags in tbis style that don't require machining? I belive lowrider s mags are this style but not sure yet of the dimensions

Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Valleyofthegun
I know adding 14-17 fxdl mags are the easiest way but it appears that it is much cheaper to machine a set of 13 spoke sportster mags and buy a conversion kit from TMF or one of the other suppliers.I like the look of the 13 spoke mags much more than the new style fxdl mags like the ones in this pic. It looks like a set of sporster mags can get had for less than 500$. I am in no rush and i have access to a machine shop.
Besides ease was there any other reason you chose to go with 14-17 fxdl over sportster mags, old fxdb mags or others?

I like this style better. Do you know any mags in tbis style that don't require machining? I belive lowrider s mags are this style but not sure yet of the dimensions
I was only able to post one pic at a time.

I like the 13 spoke blades better than these. I don't think they're ugly or nothing. Maybe it's just the 1k price tag

Old 02-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

1. Bolt up
2. 11.8" disc instead of 11.5"
3. Rear tire will better fill the fender well
4. I was able to get a set of fxdl mags for $500
5. When the discs are mounted, they look much better than the ebay picture

That's my reasoning. My fxdb came with laced chrome rims, which the prior owner let his dogs **** on and rust away.

Plenty of people have done the 13 spoke mags. So it's not like its impossible. Good luck man. Post pictures when you get it set up.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Damn, you got your mags for 500$. That is a smoking deal. I don't think the style is ugly or nothing, i just like the blades a bit better. For 500$ though it would be a non decision. I do like the fact that the 14-17 fxdl mags are 19" and 17", instead of 19" and 16". People say they don't notice a difference but the contact patch would be smaller. Do you know if FXDLS mags will bolt up with no modding?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

I see now the mags you got are the same as the ones on the FXDLS. you just can't see the design change when the rotors are mounted. Do you possibly have the weights of both mags? just want to see where they come in weight wise with 13 spoke blades.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

Correct, the fxdls and the 14-17 fxdl wheels are the same casting, just painted differently. The only thing you'll need to watch out for is the abs bearing setup on the fxdls. I believe the primary side bearing is narrower to allow for the abs encoder.

The wheels shipped with the used tires on them. I'm removing them this weekend, so I'll weigh them for you then.

Edit: I cant remember if the bearing is different or the spacer is different for the fxdls.

Last edited by Harleywashboy; 02-08-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Questions about adding mags to FXDB