Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duel front brakes vs Single

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 05:55 AM
Bubby
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

My buddy rides a breakout and the first time he rode my fxdl he couldn't believe as he put a "big" difference in stopping power. I guess it's all in your perception.

"Still here"

Old 04-17-2019, 08:14 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I back up what someone said earlier. I am a proponent of the Ness Big Brake single rotor. I installed it on my 2012 FXDC and I am very satisfied with it. My bike is configured for performance running (jacked-up Ohlins suspension etc etc) and the big single front brake works fine. Hand feel is good too.

I considered going to a dual brake set-up but considered other options first to avoid the front end clutter and added un-sprung weight of the dual system. First, I tried a Performance Machine (PM) 6-piston caliper on my stock rotor. The PM caliper looked great but it was not as strong as the stock caliper. I then went to the Ness Big Brake and re-installed my stock caliper. I'm satisfied. It works fine and looks great to me.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:33 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

What exhaust do you have on your bike? It looks good and I like how short it is. Does it sound & perform well?
Originally Posted by leafman60

Old 04-17-2019, 10:14 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I back up what someone said earlier. I am a proponent of the Ness Big Brake single rotor. I installed it on my 2012 FXDC and I am very satisfied with it. My bike is configured for performance running (jacked-up Ohlins suspension etc etc) and the big single front brake works fine. Hand feel is good too.

I considered going to a dual brake set-up but considered other options first to avoid the front end clutter and added un-sprung weight of the dual system. First, I tried a Performance Machine (PM) 6-piston caliper on my stock rotor. The PM caliper looked great but it was not as strong as the stock caliper. I then went to the Ness Big Brake and re-installed my stock caliper. I'm satisfied. It works fine and looks great to me.

Sounds good! Looks Good! I just ordered the Ness Big rotor kit for my bike. I have to shim the caliper over a bit because I have wide glide triple trees. Not sure yet whether to shim the bracket that comes with the big rotor kit or the caliper where it mounts to the bracket, or split the difference. What i want to do is shim the rotor.

I'm also putting Lyndall Xtreme pads on it.

The brakes on my Harley suck! Well at least compared to the Kawasaki they do!

Last edited by SixDD; 04-17-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM
leafman60
Road Captain

Thanks for the compliments MMH and SixDD

That exhaust is a Vance and Hines "Upsweep." It's a relatively new system from them. As with the other things I've bought from them, it is first-class quality. It comes with a removable baffle (takes some fiddling to remove it) and I am currently running with the baffle in. Sounds great to me. This is not a quiet system - even with the baffle inside. I am also running a modified ECU done by their removable FuelPak 3 FP3 module. This bike hauls ***. It will run with my new BMW 1200GS - even on a curvy road.

That Upsweep exhaust allows me those deep right-handers where I would otherwise be scraping something even though the bike sits up 2 inches higher than stock.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:20 AM
MMH
Tourer

Thanks for the compliments MMH and SixDD

That exhaust is a Vance and Hines "Upsweep." It's a relatively new system from them. As with the other things I've bought from them, it is first-class quality. It comes with a removable baffle (takes some fiddling to remove it) and I am currently running with the baffle in. Sounds great to me. This is not a quiet system - even with the baffle inside. I am also running a modified ECU done by their removable FuelPak 3 FP3 module. This bike hauls ***. It will run with my new BMW 1200GS - even on a curvy road.

That Upsweep exhaust allows me those deep right-handers where I would otherwise be scraping something even though the bike sits up 2 inches higher than stock.
Yep, I can see the room under your fender. What is your shock height? I just installed some 13.5" RWD RS-1.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:35 AM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

I upgraded the brakes on my FXDLS to 13" rotors and Brembo radial calipers. There is no comparison between the two. But still not like a sport bike, but a heck of a lot closer. Weight didn't bother me as I went to lighter wheels and inverted front end.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

My light, affordable, and great performing setup

Old 04-17-2019, 04:23 PM
leafman60
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MMH
Yep, I can see the room under your fender. What is your shock height? I just installed some 13.5" RWD RS-1.
I'm not sure what my actual ride height is. My shocks are around 13.9 " and I run pretty tight preload with minimum sag.

By the way, I'm also using one of Alan Sputhe's drive train stabilizer kits.

Have a good time.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:45 AM
MMH
Tourer

I'm not sure what my actual ride height is. My shocks are around 13.9 " and I run pretty tight preload with minimum sag.

By the way, I'm also using one of Alan Sputhe's drive train stabilizer kits.

Have a good time.

I also put on a sputhe stabilizer. In addition, a predator front mount and a real heim joint for the top engine mount.

Quick Reply: Duel front brakes vs Single