Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Strange noise recently (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1287973-strange-noise-recently.html)

brownie4412 06-12-2019 08:33 AM

Strange noise recently

Over the past month or so i've been hearing this strange scraping metal on metal sound when going over speed bumps, potholes, pretty much any kind of transition. I went around and torque checked every bolt i could see and nothing seems loose. I'm pretty confident it still has the original motor mounts but to my eyes (at least the front one) isn't sagging at all. Could that be it? I've heard guys talk about excessive vibration and death wobble from bad mounts, but i'm not experiencing either of those. Any other ideas or things I need to look at?

HyperM3 06-12-2019 08:42 AM

Is it a scraping, or more of a bumping of metal on metal?

Jay Guild 06-12-2019 08:43 AM

Yeah, I'd check the gap on your motor mounts and the sag on the back end. Maybe the rear shocks are failing and the rear pulley is scraping on the fender?

brownie4412 06-12-2019 09:42 AM

It’s really weird to describe.. Have you ever ridden in an old car that the struts are completely obliterated? That creaking sorta rattling sound you hear right before the big clunk. That’s what it sounds like, minus the clunk.

I don’t think the rear shocks are worn. They’re practically new LRS shocks. I’ll take a closer look at the mounts today.

HyperM3 06-12-2019 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by brownie4412 (Post 18324128)
It’s really weird to describe.. Have you ever ridden in an old car that the struts are completely obliterated? That creaking sorta rattling sound you hear right before the big clunk. That’s what it sounds like, minus the clunk.

I don’t think the rear shocks are worn. They’re practically new LRS shocks. I’ll take a closer look at the mounts today.

Can you tell if its coming from the front or the rear? Check your fuel tank bolts and steering stem nut.

brownie4412 06-12-2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by HyperM3 (Post 18324192)
Can you tell if its coming from the front or the rear? Check your fuel tank bolts and steering stem nut.

It sounds like it's coming from the bottom end of the engine honestly.

HyperM3 06-12-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by brownie4412 (Post 18324377)
It sounds like it's coming from the bottom end of the engine honestly.

Engine mount.

John CC 06-12-2019 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by brownie4412 (Post 18323929)
I'm pretty confident it still has the original motor mounts but to my eyes (at least the front one) isn't sagging at all. (2004 FXD)

I don't think that's plausible...

Graham UK 06-12-2019 12:40 PM

A bit of a long shot, but could it be something as minor as the heat shield sections scraping against each other when you go over bumps?

JVS 06-12-2019 02:01 PM

Swing arm pivot? Can you duplicate it by bouncing on the seat off the jiffy?
I guess you could rule out the suspension by going slowly over a speed bump to see if happens when the front or rear compresses?

Shot in the dark.....A buddy of mine had a weak jiffy spring and it would swing down and hit/scrape when he would go over speed bumps or pulling into driveways.