Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about switching to a Dyna... need advicee

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 207 Posts

IMO, if you have the opportunity to get a Lowrider S, that is the way I would go. There are a lot of components on that bike that is going to cost you a lot more if you get another model and decide to upgrade it.

Dave

Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM
Jungledemon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
UK Low Rider S owner here.
Dyna is much better than the old Softails, but it still needs a fair bit of work to make it a real canyon carver. Weight is still the biggest problem on later Dynas and dealing with that isn't going to be cheap, but even stock it should run rings around any pre '18 Softail.
Have you considered a Sportster? Much lighter and more nimble. There's a reason they're so popular in the UK. For the type of riding you do, do you really need the bigger bike?
I don't need to go canyon carving, basically we ride around back/country roads and to make the tight turns I have to pull every trick I have in the book and i'll still scrape boards time to time. Is the dyna noticeably better at cornering and making those tight bends?

Also, apart from cornering is there much difference in the feel of the ride on a dyna? Only problem with the Sportster is im over 6ft and want to do weekend trips away up to 1000miles at times.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:13 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by TOE_CUTTER
IMO, if you have the opportunity to get a Lowrider S, that is the way I would go. There are a lot of components on that bike that is going to cost you a lot more if you get another model and decide to upgrade it.

Dave
I completely agree with this (I was even tempted to get one when they first came out) UNLESS... You're going to end up wanting to upgrade suspension or brakes further at some point. As soon as you change the shocks or forks on an LRS, the whole premium paid for that model is (mostly) out the window! Other than the 110, of course... If it was 2016 and I was in a showroom looking for a new bike, I definitely would've chosen the LRS over the standard Low Rider. The price difference when new seemed well worth it. But If I was shopping the same two bikes now, I think the amount saved with a "standard" 2016 Low Rider would easily fund upgrades that would push it past the LRS.

But I do still really like them. I even like the gold wheels, honestly. But if one doesn't see a need to mess with the LRS in any significant way, It may still be a good purchase!

Last edited by F86; 07-15-2019 at 04:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Greezey Rider (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 03:49 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jungledemon
I don't need to go canyon carving, basically we ride around back/country roads and to make the tight turns I have to pull every trick I have in the book and i'll still scrape boards time to time. Is the dyna noticeably better at cornering and making those tight bends?

Also, apart from cornering is there much difference in the feel of the ride on a dyna? Only problem with the Sportster is im over 6ft and want to do weekend trips away up to 1000miles at times.
Everything is better at cornering than the older Softails.

Greezey Rider (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Mattf748
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I live in Essex too and ride pretty much the same way you have described.
I also can only comment based on the 2 Harley’s I have owned although I have test ridden several Sportsters, Dynas and Softails, I also need to point out that i’m 5’7” not 6ft.
I traded a 2015 Fat Boy Lo for a Low Rider S a couple of years ago and never looked back.
Took the Fat Boy for a service and sold it the week after....
The Dyna offers much more of an all round rider experience which includes comfort and handling, yes it’s a little rougher around the edges but that’s the raw Harley appeal, I personally was looking for.
I really can’t recommend the Low Rider S enough, the 110 power is quality and it has loads of options for customising too, it also stops better than most Harley’s I’ve ridden.
For me the Fat Boy looked cool and for my first Harley was exactly what I wanted. Having seen Terminator 2 as a 16 year old I had decided a Fat Boy was for me long before I owned one and never even test rode one before owning it.
But the best way I can describe a Fat Boy is an arm chair with not very good brakes.
So as others will tell you, you will need to go for what you really want, but for me once I test road the Dyna Low Rider I was sold.

Vec (08-01-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:34 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by F86
I completely agree with this (I was even tempted to get one when they first came out) UNLESS... You're going to end up wanting to upgrade suspension or brakes further at some point. As soon as you change the shocks or forks on an LRS, the whole premium paid for that model is (mostly) out the window! Other than the 110, of course... If it was 2016 and I was in a showroom looking for a new bike, I definitely would've chosen the LRS over the standard Low Rider. The price difference when new seemed well worth it. But If I was shopping the same two bikes now, I think the amount saved with a "standard" 2016 Low Rider would easily fund upgrades that would push it past the LRS.

But I do still really like them. I even like the gold wheels, honestly. But if one doesn't see a need to mess with the LRS in any significant way, It may still be a good purchase!
If it wasn't for the fact that I added so much power that 120 mph+ is so easily attainable, up to 110 mph the LRS rides pretty good. It is just above those speeds the whole bike feels like a wet noodle (and not with a wobble). It is a weird feeling. It doesn't sound like the OP is going to be able to reach those speeds where he lives, lol.

The biggest thing is the 110.

Dave

Last edited by TOE_CUTTER; 07-15-2019 at 07:35 PM.
F86 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:55 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jungledemon

By the sound of it, you might have to jack up your Dyna with taller shocks and +2" front forks to give you some additional clearance.

You're going to have to modify whatever bike you get to fit you and your riding style. The Street Bob, Fat Bob, Low Rider, and Low Rider S are all slightly different, and you have to determine which model will take the least amount of work to get it to do what you need it to do.

To answer your question in regards to a Softail or Dyna dragging sooner, typically it is a Softail, but...lowered Dynas will drag equally, if not more.

Dave

Old 07-16-2019, 12:30 AM
Velocity Ray
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I love mine. There wasn't a single other Harley that interested me at the time, and there still isn't... okay, I sometimes wish I also had a Road King Special bc they look cool, but whatever. A Dyna Fat Bob will handle WAYYYY better than your Fatboy. That's an easy decision if you ask me.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:07 AM
Jungledemon
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mattf748
I live in Essex too and ride pretty much the same way you have described.
I also can only comment based on the 2 Harley’s I have owned although I have test ridden several Sportsters, Dynas and Softails, I also need to point out that i’m 5’7” not 6ft.
I traded a 2015 Fat Boy Lo for a Low Rider S a couple of years ago and never looked back.
Took the Fat Boy for a service and sold it the week after....
The Dyna offers much more of an all round rider experience which includes comfort and handling, yes it’s a little rougher around the edges but that’s the raw Harley appeal, I personally was looking for.
I really can’t recommend the Low Rider S enough, the 110 power is quality and it has loads of options for customising too, it also stops better than most Harley’s I’ve ridden.
For me the Fat Boy looked cool and for my first Harley was exactly what I wanted. Having seen Terminator 2 as a 16 year old I had decided a Fat Boy was for me long before I owned one and never even test rode one before owning it.
But the best way I can describe a Fat Boy is an arm chair with not very good brakes.
So as others will tell you, you will need to go for what you really want, but for me once I test road the Dyna Low Rider I was sold.
Thanks for your reply. Is a dyna more comfortable than a softail?! I thought it was the other way round!

Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 AM
Jungledemon
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TOE_CUTTER

Dave
I sat on the low rider s and it seemed a bit small tbh. I really like the fat aesthetic from the fat boy and the 50s styling. I was hoping I could achieve a similar look on the Fat Bob. I'd basically have raised handlebars and change the rear fender and headlight and then just customise the body a bit with more chrome. But before I start that adventure, I just want to be sure I'm making the right decision.

Quick Reply: Thinking about switching to a Dyna... need advicee