Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Street-Bob is leaking oil from the AIR Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:19 AM
2002fxdp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Street-Bob is leaking oil from the AIR Filter

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

What they said, HD is very generous with that extra half quart of oil in te crankcase. Drain your oil until it reads properly on the dipstick. Start with 1/2 quart.............. I don't know how much you can actually overfill the oil hole.

DougJ
can only over fill about 1/2 quart past 2 1/2. dont ask how i know

Old 07-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Dr_J
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2002fxdp

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

What they said, HD is very generous with that extra half quart of oil in te crankcase. Drain your oil until it reads properly on the dipstick. Start with 1/2 quart.............. I don't know how much you can actually overfill the oil hole.

DougJ
can only over fill about 1/2 quart past 2 1/2. dont ask how i know
lol

Old 07-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Bobber S
Tourer

My dealer put in 3 quarts on the 8,000 K service and oil started to drip from the air filter , I drained 1/2 quart , removed the air filter and cleaned the breather and now its ok . Next time I will change the oil myself so I'llknow its done right !

Old 07-28-2007, 05:03 AM
ClarkFXDC
Tourer

ORIGINAL: baxter

ORIGINAL: L0W R1D3R

ORIGINAL: jkdavis22

Only supposed to be 2 1/2 quarts of oil in the engine. If one of the techs overfilled it upon servicing to get it ready for you, it'll leak out the breather tube into the air filter. Check oil level-take some out if needed, clean up air filter and ride er'. Should be fine!
Thought that there was supposed to be 3 quarts in the engine.

yeah , ya better check your owners manual again nextoil change cus your about a quart low holmes.
jkdavis22 is correct.
on the new 96's. I measured what I drained out, 2.25 qts. the other .25 was probably in the filter.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:42 AM
knc2121
Intermediate

My 07 Wide Glide had the same problem. I got 8 miles from the dealer and oil began to spew from the air filter. I was told that this was caused by condensation in the motor from pushing it in and out of the dealer etc. A bunch of crap Im sure. It was probably over filled.

So 8 miles from the dealer on my new Wide Glide and 1 hour later I was headed right back to the dealer in the service van. I got some free stuff out of the hassle and I now have put 1000 more trouble free (knock on wood) miles.

One of the service techs told me that 3 others had been back for the same reason. Good luck with yours

Old 10-03-2022, 07:08 PM
harddone1
Stage I
Default 22 street bob 114in. Recent bought this. It's fuel injected. But I am positive I hear much more than just injector pulse. I hear valve train. Well returned to harley at 39 miles and they say all is normal. Fast forward to 155 miles.

Originally Posted by damadman
If it dont stop take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.. prolly one of the umbrella valves
Now i have an oil . It seems to be from crank case housing or piston risers. Further inspection I find it's actually oil pouring out of my intake. And not a normal amount. I returned to harley. Tell them the valve noise is top is loud. And now louder. Occasionally if I xcellerate during downshift or approaching a stip I can hear a very loud strong ting sound. Almost as if it's detonating. They inspect and tell me again. No problems. It' was 2 quarts over full causing the oil leak. I shook my head and drove away. And of course the valve noise is now loader. I'm now at approx 489 miles and I've started once again loosing oil thru my throttle body and the valve noise Is little loader . On top of that I decided to drain the oil. Just to see how much was in it. The oils thrash. There's metal flake and very dark substances swirling in the oil. Oh and there was less than 1.5 qrts in the motor. What do I d9. I do not believe it could be over full with only half the recommended oil capsity.
could this be a lifter hanging up or not building up all the way and forcing the oil to blowby instead of drying back. I'm guessing it's fully hydronic possible even a roller engine. There for there should nor be no low by" issue. Especially before its even broken in
I feel this is a larger issue that is not been diagnosed yet or yetley knows and don't want to eat the issue.
very unsatisfied with the service and the bike. Last harley I buy unless they make this right

Any suggestions or help

Old 10-03-2022, 08:19 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,487 Likes on 1,700 Posts

15 yr. revival! Hmmmm... very interesting... sounds like you better get into that dealership and tell them how the cow ate the cabbage.

The following users liked this post:
Qdog002 (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 08:31 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,097 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by harddone1
Now i have an oil . It seems to be from crank case housing or piston risers. Further inspection I find it's actually oil pouring out of my intake. And not a normal amount. I returned to harley. Tell them the valve noise is top is loud. And now louder. Occasionally if I xcellerate during downshift or approaching a stip I can hear a very loud strong ting sound. Almost as if it's detonating. They inspect and tell me again. No problems. It' was 2 quarts over full causing the oil leak. I shook my head and drove away. And of course the valve noise is now loader. I'm now at approx 489 miles and I've started once again loosing oil thru my throttle body and the valve noise Is little loader . On top of that I decided to drain the oil. Just to see how much was in it. The oils thrash. There's metal flake and very dark substances swirling in the oil. Oh and there was less than 1.5 qrts in the motor. What do I d9. I do not believe it could be over full with only half the recommended oil capsity.
could this be a lifter hanging up or not building up all the way and forcing the oil to blowby instead of drying back. I'm guessing it's fully hydronic possible even a roller engine. There for there should nor be no low by" issue. Especially before its even broken in
I feel this is a larger issue that is not been diagnosed yet or yetley knows and don't want to eat the issue.
very unsatisfied with the service and the bike. Last harley I buy unless they make this right

Any suggestions or help
Reading that made my head hurt. I hate to be that guy, but it's disrespectful to put so little effort into typing your question.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:31 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 803 Likes on 579 Posts

To say nothing of finding the right forum for his bike...

Pass...

Old 10-04-2022, 11:38 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

I don't see how it could be 2 quarts overfilled, although your description is a bit confusing.
Couple of things. Your bike is under warranty, so bring it to the dealer. If you don't think your dealer is being helpful, take it elsewhere.
Also, your bike is not a Dyna.

Quick Reply: My Street-Bob is leaking oil from the AIR Filter