Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Low rider s exhaust fitment issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 01:34 PM
autobite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2016 Low rider s exhaust fitment issue

Hi all,

I recently bought a S&S grand national 2 into 1 into 2 or my low rider s and started to feel my right peg mount hitting the exhaust. I thought the spacing was too close when I first installed it, so I loosened everything up and adjust to make the spacing more. Even with the amount of space below, I still feel it hitting from time to time. IS this a fitment issue? Does anyone else have issues like this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:59 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Yeah. Here's the thing. That's a little tight. On our bikes, the exhaust if bolted to the motor, which is mounted to the frame in rubber mounts. So the motor moves. Sometimes alot depending on the condition of your motor mounts, how hard you get on the accelerator, etc. The footpeg mounts are attached to the frame, which doesn't move (hopefully!) So you are most likely making contact. Do you see any scuffs on the peg mount or pipe?

Because of the "further forward" mids on the LRS's, some pipes don't work so well. I had an issue with a pipe and I had to space it out a little using a longer bolt and aluminium spacers/washers between the muffler bracket and the muffler itself. It can be challenging. What I did is loosen everything up, but something between the two contacting surfaces to add some clearance, then start from the front and tighten it back up. When I got to the muffler I had a 3/8" gap between the can and the bracket which I filled with those spacers. Fixed it right up. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2021, 02:08 PM
autobite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Yeah. Here's the thing. That's a little tight. On our bikes, the exhaust if bolted to the motor, which is mounted to the frame in rubber mounts. So the motor moves. Sometimes alot depending on the condition of your motor mounts, how hard you get on the accelerator, etc. The footpeg mounts are attached to the frame, which doesn't move (hopefully!) So you are most likely making contact. Do you see any scuffs on the peg mount or pipe?

Because of the "further forward" mids on the LRS's, some pipes don't work so well. I had an issue with a pipe and I had to space it out a little using a longer bolt and aluminium spacers/washers between the muffler bracket and the muffler itself. It can be challenging. What I did is loosen everything up, but something between the two contacting surfaces to add some clearance, then start from the front and tighten it back up. When I got to the muffler I had a 3/8" gap between the can and the bracket which I filled with those spacers. Fixed it right up. Good luck!

Appreciate your help. Yes I'm seeing scuffs on the muffler. It definitely is hitting and maybe I should check my motor mounts because my bike shakes like a maniac. Would adding spacers on the footpeg bracket help by pushing it out a bit? I guess pushing it out wont do much since its the height clearance.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:45 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by autobite
Appreciate your help. Yes I'm seeing scuffs on the muffler. It definitely is hitting and maybe I should check my motor mounts because my bike shakes like a maniac. Would adding spacers on the footpeg bracket help by pushing it out a bit? I guess pushing it out wont do much since its the height clearance.
I’d be careful about spacing the foot peg bracket. You can put substantial force on them, would suck if they were compromised. If there’s a proper spacer (made for the job) with longer grade 5 or 8 bolts maybe. But I would try mounts and adjusting the pipe first…

Old 08-01-2022, 05:31 PM
Kaykoh
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I was wondering if you ever came up with a solution to the foot peg contacting your exhaust? Im experiencing the same exact issue right now. Same bike 2017 fxdls, 2 into 1 with further forward mids.