Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Deer at dusk ! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/139511-deer-at-dusk.html)

matkiwi 08-11-2007 05:04 PM

Deer at dusk !

Almost had a family of the f'ing things on the front of my bike this evening, come round a corner following a cage by about 200 yards and a whole family of deer have decided to go for an evening stroll right across the road and they kept coming so I had nowhere to go apart from hit the anchors and hold on. The arse end of the bike sure weaves around the place when you pull up hard !
Apart from a flat spot on my rear tyre no harm done ... any hints to keep deer off the road welcome ... they don't seem to be there when I drive my landrover. I will be thinking twice before riding at dusk again.
Mat

ziggy 08-11-2007 06:06 PM

RE: Deer at dusk !

had a deer run in front of me as soon as I exited a tunnel at 7:30 in the morning.It can happen any time...

noitartsurf 08-12-2007 08:32 AM

Come ride in Australia... no deer on our roads.... Kangaroos and Emus by the hundred... but no deer....

hehehe

Paul

jethro2000 08-12-2007 08:55 AM

I rode in Michigan a lot and put on a "Deer Whistle" just to cut down the possiblity of beign taken out by one. It is small and you can get them in black/chrome. Cheap insurance. The deer hunters can tell you that riding during the times deer move the most will be an increased risk. If they know you are there, perhaps they will avoid you. Good luck, I am glad you were not hurt. The last guy I knew in your position is now FFL.

narosar 08-12-2007 10:26 AM

I have always used Deer Whistles on all my vehicles. Do not know if they really work or that I have been lucky but so far no hits or close calls.

ORIGINAL: matkiwi

Almost had a family of the f'ing things on the front of my bike this evening, come round a corner following a cage by about 200 yards and a whole family of deer have decided to go for an evening stroll right across the road and they kept coming so I had nowhere to go apart from hit the anchors and hold on. The arse end of the bike sure weaves around the place when you pull up hard !
Apart from a flat spot on my rear tyre no harm done ... any hints to keep deer off the road welcome ... they don't seem to be there when I drive my landrover. I will be thinking twice before riding at dusk again.
Mat

jp13 08-12-2007 07:29 PM

Get some louder pipes.

bronk 08-12-2007 07:34 PM

Here in Wisconsin, I see at LEAST 4 deer every night during feeding time.You lower your speed or aty off the road.Nothing can protect you from them, except your own good judgment.

jca_54 08-12-2007 11:34 PM

Dusk and Deer go hand in hand. If you choose to ride at dusk, slow down and watch the roadside carefully.

Frank Castle 08-12-2007 11:58 PM

There is a great thread on this called "Road Donkey Mojo"... it outlines some cases of some of this forums members (including myself) and their experiences with these mindless bags 'o guts [:@]... I dodged one the other morning (03:30 A.M) crossing the road in front of me.
As the year goes on they will be worse.. especially around their rutting cycle... The watchword would be to be mindful that they are out all of the time.. but esp. in the early morning hours, dawn and dusk.. when its cooler in the day is when you will more often find them moving about...

Tony P 08-13-2007 02:16 PM

Yesterday,I had some sort of large rodent ('possum?) cross my path. I remembered what my MRS instructor told me, "If it's smaller than a dog, run over it."