Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer at dusk !

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:04 PM
matkiwi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deer at dusk !

Almost had a family of the f'ing things on the front of my bike this evening, come round a corner following a cage by about 200 yards and a whole family of deer have decided to go for an evening stroll right across the road and they kept coming so I had nowhere to go apart from hit the anchors and hold on. The **** end of the bike sure weaves around the place when you pull up hard !
Apart from a flat spot on my rear tyre no harm done ... any hints to keep deer off the road welcome ... they don't seem to be there when I drive my landrover. I will be thinking twice before riding at dusk again.
Mat

Old 08-11-2007, 06:06 PM
ziggy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deer at dusk !

had a deer run in front of me as soon as I exited a tunnel at 7:30 in the morning.It can happen any time...

Old 08-12-2007, 08:32 AM
noitartsurf
Intermediate

Come ride in Australia... no deer on our roads.... Kangaroos and Emus by the hundred... but no deer....

hehehe

Paul

Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 AM
jethro2000
Advanced

I rode in Michigan a lot and put on a "Deer Whistle" just to cut down the possiblity of beign taken out by one. It is small and you can get them in black/chrome. Cheap insurance. The deer hunters can tell you that riding during the times deer move the most will be an increased risk. If they know you are there, perhaps they will avoid you. Good luck, I am glad you were not hurt. The last guy I knew in your position is now FFL.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:26 AM
narosar
Tourer

I have always used Deer Whistles on all my vehicles. Do not know if they really work or that I have been lucky but so far no hits or close calls.

ORIGINAL: matkiwi

Almost had a family of the f'ing things on the front of my bike this evening, come round a corner following a cage by about 200 yards and a whole family of deer have decided to go for an evening stroll right across the road and they kept coming so I had nowhere to go apart from hit the anchors and hold on. The **** end of the bike sure weaves around the place when you pull up hard !
Apart from a flat spot on my rear tyre no harm done ... any hints to keep deer off the road welcome ... they don't seem to be there when I drive my landrover. I will be thinking twice before riding at dusk again.
Mat

Old 08-12-2007, 07:29 PM
jp13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some louder pipes.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 PM
bronk
Road Master

Here in Wisconsin, I see at LEAST 4 deer every night during feeding time.You lower your speed or aty off the road.Nothing can protect you from them, except your own good judgment.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:34 PM
jca_54
Tourer

Dusk and Deer go hand in hand. If you choose to ride at dusk, slow down and watch the roadside carefully.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

There is a great thread on this called "Road Donkey Mojo"... it outlines some cases of some of this forums members (including myself) and their experiences with these mindless bags 'o guts [:@]... I dodged one the other morning (03:30 A.M) crossing the road in front of me.
As the year goes on they will be worse.. especially around their rutting cycle... The watchword would be to be mindful that they are out all of the time.. but esp. in the early morning hours, dawn and dusk.. when its cooler in the day is when you will more often find them moving about...

Old 08-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Yesterday,I had some sort of large rodent ('possum?) cross my path. I remembered what my MRS instructor told me, "If it's smaller than a dog, run over it."

Quick Reply: Deer at dusk !