Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Dyna Fat Bob FXDF upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 10:21 AM
frdmRIDES
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Dyna Fat Bob FXDF upgrade help

Hello everyone! first post. I would like to upgrade both the front and rear suspension and narrowed down to Ohlins. They have some great rear options for the dyna fat bob but none for the front. Called the customer service line and their sales rep mentioned a shop in Texas that has done some special work to get them to fit. Im in NY so its a bit of a haul.

Has anyone here with that model successfully upgraded their front end with ohlins suspension? what size? any tips? thank you for any help!

Old 05-20-2022, 02:25 PM
K. Lindberg
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 208 Posts

Welcome.

First: Go to,

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/welcome-area-only-4/

and fill in the info. Forum members like to know a little about you before they engage.

A Moderator will soon tell you more.

Concerning the Swedish Oehlins (Öhlins) suspension.
I would not bother.

I have had Oehlins rear suspension on severall bikes and never again.
And I'm from Sweden and all...

Even had the top notch suspension installed on my then brand new 2012 BMW 800GS.
Rear unit lasted only a short time and the price for repair was shocking.

To expensive to buy, to expensive to service, performance is not in par with price.

There are suspensions systems just as good for less money.

As usuall, it's only my point of view and others will have a different oppinion!
Thousands of pro racers love them, so I must be wrong.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:58 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by K. Lindberg
Welcome.

First: Go to,

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/welcome-area-only-4/

and fill in the info. Forum members like to know a little about you before they engage.

A Moderator will soon tell you more.

Concerning the Swedish Oehlins (Öhlins) suspension.
I would not bother.

I have had Oehlins rear suspension on severall bikes and never again.
And I'm from Sweden and all...

Even had the top notch suspension installed on my then brand new 2012 BMW 800GS.
Rear unit lasted only a short time and the price for repair was shocking.

To expensive to buy, to expensive to service, performance is not in par with price.

There are suspensions systems just as good for less money.

As usuall, it's only my point of view and others will have a different oppinion!
Thousands of pro racers love them, so I must be wrong.
one must also understand that the suspension must be setup for the rider’s weight and HOW they ride. I can see somebody not liking any of the big names in suspension when you buy a performance shock system because you want a cushy ride out of a more race/ aggressive riding style or only do half of it like just the rear suspension. Which only makes the under performing and over worked front end on these bikes work even harder.

cant have the most comfortable ride and have the best handling system. Not saying you’re wrong, but often people who aren’t happy with high end suspension often do not understand the product or aren’t honest in how they actually ride and what they’re looking for in suspension when upgrading or having suspension order for their bike. Öhlins and most all the other high end aftermarket shocks are rebuildable and can be revalved for what a rider wants of the shock. With a rebuild telling them to change the valving closer to what you’re looking for out of the shock would have made you much happier with them. Off the shelf shocks have a generic valve setup that will be what most riders are looking for with an increase in handling and safety first, then comfort secondary. That said, yes there are slightly less expensive systems than Öhlins that can perform just as well.

And that’s why I really like shocks with adjustable rebound, and if you can afford the increased cost of adjustable rebound as well it gives you a range to work with in finding what is best for your style. I have lower cost Bitubo shocks with adjustable rebound and preload and once I set my sag I only adjust my rebound. Setting 1 for comfort in everyday riding to work and long interstate rides, then up to 2-3 for more aggressive weekend joy rides. And I can adjust them in 10 seconds with the flip of a lever.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 05-20-2022 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brando4905 (05-21-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 06:55 PM
K. Lindberg
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 208 Posts

You are right. They work best if calculated and set up by people that knows what they are doing.

That's why I later in life left everything to two of my mates to fix the suspension.

First one used to spanner 24h endurance racers for the now defunct KMCET team were my cousin Håkan was a rider, and the other guy used to work att Biscaya Racing both piloting and working on his Ducati racers.
I known the guys at Biscaya since early nighties and my present bike is parked in the building next door.
He set up my '93 900SS Super Light with Kämna race motor really good, but after a few races the rear started leaking.

In the beginning I did all mech work myself, campaigning first on my LeMans III, then later battling on my CB1100R.
(No, I was to slow to make any sort of impression).

Still was never really happy with Öhlins rear suspension.
Never could afford the complete Öhlins forks on any of my road bikes, but some of my mates used them on their 2-strokes cross racers.

They needed frequent service.
And some of the more expensive models needed to go back to the factory for service...

The rear Öhlin unit on my then new 2012 BMW 800GS gave up after only 7000 miles and required a complete overhaul.

To end this history and rant I conclude that it is probably only me that have had bad luck with my Öhlins suspensions on different bikes, on the other hand I have been very satisfied with other makers of suspension...

Old 05-21-2022, 10:19 AM
bigal51
Road Captain
Received 577 Likes on 242 Posts

I had a shop install a complete Ohlins suspension in my Low Rider. Pricy. But well worth it. They did ask how much rider and passenger weighed.