Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello fellow riders my name is Baldhead Steve

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 03:10 PM
Baldhead Steve
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello fellow riders my name is Baldhead Steve

Hello all I'm new to the forum really. I've tried to get started a couple times to no avail. I'm the owner of a 2003 Harley Dyna Fxd superglide. I have an issue of it will not start.Sometimes it turns over by the on off starter button on handlebars and then some time I have to press the solenoid starter button. It turns over now but doesn't seem to be getting any fire to the plugs. I'm thinking the Bank angle sensor but not sure how to go about checking this.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:02 PM
benscratchin
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,429 Likes on 3,490 Posts
Lightbulb Welcome aboard:

Originally Posted by Baldhead Steve
Hello all I'm new to the forum really. I've tried to get started a couple times to no avail. I'm the owner of a 2003 Harley Dyna Fxd superglide. I have an issue of it will not start.Sometimes it turns over by the on off starter button on handlebars and then some time I have to press the solenoid starter button. It turns over now but doesn't seem to be getting any fire to the plugs. I'm thinking the Bank angle sensor but not sure how to go about checking this.
Welcome.
Under the Harley-Davidson forums menu is a drop down tab for the "welcome area".
It's a new members thread for Newbies to introduce themselves. You may want to start there. Look at your "member profile" tab and add as much info as you feel comfortable with. Some members look at that kind of stuff before allowing you into the fold.

Old 10-16-2023, 03:49 AM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Welcome from Philadelphia, enjoy the ride.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:28 AM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,213 Likes on 746 Posts

The run/stop switch controls the power to the starter and ignition circuit. If it in STOP, nothing is going to happen. In RUN hit the STARTER BUTTON on the right handlebar control and it powers the starter and ignition, engine turns over and bike runs. The Run/Stop switch does NOT ACTIVATE the STARTER. As for the SOLENOID START BUTTON, that is NOT ORIGINAL.That means previous owner screwed up the electrical system. Best bet is a wire diagram and trace the wired to the Run/Stop switch and the Solenoid Start Button.

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasScooterTrash:
benscratchin (10-16-2023), hattitude (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 09:35 AM
benscratchin
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,429 Likes on 3,490 Posts
Exclamation 2003 FXD won't start:

Originally Posted by Baldhead Steve
You really need to get a H-D service manual for your bike.
My 2000 H-D Dyna models Service Manual has a specific section 8.13 page 8.28 (Engine cranks, but will not start). It describes the diagnostics and flow chart required to find the problem.

Electrical issues always give me a headache.

The following 2 users liked this post by benscratchin:
Davdoodles (10-25-2023), EdPayne66 (10-23-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 10:48 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,103 Likes on 6,246 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-17-2023, 01:52 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,243 Likes on 5,642 Posts

What leads you to think the bank angle sensor is your problem?

Old 10-23-2023, 07:50 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,340 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Fresh fuel in the fuel tank?
Petcock turned on to run, fuel handle turned to down. A dry carb, no fuel, will take a bit of cranking to get fuel in it.
Did you visually see the spark plugs while cranking to see if there is a spark.
Fuel, air, spark equal combustion.
When I wake up my 02 FXD from the winter layup it takes a bit of cranking to get fuel to the carb, I run it dry before winter layup. Then when it does start it's rough as a cob for about 3-5 minutes.Let the forum know what you find.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:44 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
What leads you to think the bank angle sensor is your problem?
The world may never know…

Old 10-30-2023, 04:26 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 974 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
The run/stop switch controls the power to the starter and ignition circuit. If it in STOP, nothing is going to happen. In RUN hit the STARTER BUTTON on the right handlebar control and it powers the starter and ignition, engine turns over and bike runs. The Run/Stop switch does NOT ACTIVATE the STARTER. As for the SOLENOID START BUTTON, that is NOT ORIGINAL.That means previous owner screwed up the electrical system. Best bet is a wire diagram and trace the wired to the Run/Stop switch and the Solenoid Start Button.
Huh? What makes you think because there's a push button on the solenoid the previous owner "screwed up the electrical system"? All that button does is forego any of the power having to go through the wiring of the normal start button. It's often the best and easiest way to keep the wiring system going strong, by using that button instead once in a while. There's not a damn thing wrong with putting a push button on the solenoid. What you stated is just ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Hello fellow riders my name is Baldhead Steve