Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The what to do with the damn chrome pulley noise thread?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 08:59 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 381 Likes on 148 Posts
Default The what to do with the damn chrome pulley noise thread?

I have a DNA chrome pulley that looks great. The problem is the damn thing make a lot of noise going down the road. If the road is smooth it's pretty quiet. If the road has the gravel type covering, ( there is a bunch of this in Texas ) the noise is very loud. I have read all the previous post I can find and have tried most of the suggestions. I have the Harley belt tension gauge along with the alignment tool and try to set the belt by the book.
Has anyone had any luck getting a chrome pulley to run quiet?

Old 10-23-2023, 09:08 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,826 Likes on 18,580 Posts

There are more than a few threads regarding pulley bolt problems, especially on the Dyna's ... Be sure you are not one of the victims

Old 10-23-2023, 09:20 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,800 Likes on 1,363 Posts

I dont understand why the road surface type should change the sound of the pulley that has NO direct connection to the road surface.....
Now the TIRE will sound different on different types of surfaces but not the pulley.

The following 5 users liked this post by MURPHCC1:
eighteight (10-23-2023), Goose_NC (10-23-2023), pgrchaplain (10-24-2023), tar_snake (10-30-2023), Volkspanzer (10-24-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 09:39 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 381 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't understand the difference in the noise because of road surface myself unless the rough road surface causes more vibration to the rear wheel and that vibration transfers to the pulley? It also is loader as the belt gets hotter and tighter. I am wondering since my bike is lowered, if I set the belt tension correctly, but the belt still to tight when the suspension compresses?
I had the pulley bolt problem last year. My bolts were a little to long and even though they were torqued correctly, they still came loose. I had to replace the pulley back then and ordered new bolts in the correct length, applied a generous amount of blue lock tight and have not had that problem since. I also check the torque on them frequently and they are always to spec. I run ARP bolts and the bolt head fits the pulley holes tight. I don't think it could move around.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:01 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,800 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Check your tires for pressure, cupping and any damage.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:30 AM
benscratchin
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,430 Likes on 3,490 Posts

What's up with that picture you posted?
The pulley bolts don't appear to be screwed in all the way.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (10-30-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 10:55 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,244 Likes on 5,643 Posts

Originally Posted by benscratchin
What's up with that picture you posted?
The pulley bolts don't appear to be screwed in all the way.
Thats the first thing I saw too.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:04 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 668 Posts

I'd be more inclined to think you're just hearing the noise of your tires hitting the pavement change as the surface changes.

Or if you really think you're hearing some noise from the pulley/ belt/ wheel area, check your spoke tension.

benscratchin (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 11:17 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,973 Likes on 17,495 Posts

Some aftermarket pulleys sing, just a fact of life. Ran into this before on multiple bikes, try a little more or less belt tension. Which way it goes depends on more factors than I care to type out, try that first. Just to **** you off the chrome ones tend to make noise, got 2 low mile ones in my stash for that very reason.

Another thing, it you are " hearing" the rumble on chip seal chances are it's more road noise being transmitted overall than the pulley talking to you.

benscratchin (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 11:43 AM
benscratchin
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,430 Likes on 3,490 Posts

Originally Posted by NEWROADSTER
I have a DNA chrome pulley that looks great. The problem is the damn thing make a lot of noise going down the road. If the road is smooth it's pretty quiet. If the road has the gravel type covering, ( there is a bunch of this in Texas ) the noise is very loud. I have read all the previous post I can find and have tried most of the suggestions. I have the Harley belt tension gauge along with the alignment tool and try to set the belt by the book.
Has anyone had any luck getting a chrome pulley to run quiet?

I know exactly what you mean about the roads in Texas. I sometimes travel out your way to visit Friends in Yantis, and Ben Wheeler. The FM and CR roads are a different grade of asphalt, than is used in areas in the big Cities. I notice the rough asphalt sometimes as I cross the County lines, also in more rural areas as we ride out of Towns and Cities into more rural areas. The road surface noise is noticeable in a car, or truck as well. Even in my truck I can notice the change in noise and vibration instantly, as I travel onto the rougher surface asphalt.

All things being equal, and assuming everything is correct on your bike, consider this: (my theory) There is a lot of tension, torque, vibration, and movement on that pulley. The more solid vs spoked pulley should have less deflection as a result of the dynamic forces being applied to it. See Twizted Biker response below, he seems to be talking from experience.

Quick Reply: The what to do with the damn chrome pulley noise thread?