Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Is Super Glide suitable for long distances? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/157424-is-super-glide-suitable-for-long-distances.html)

JohnnyRebKY 11-03-2014 07:54 AM

All bikes these days have the mechanical ability to travel long distance

The question is..,,does the rider have the ability

11-03-2014 08:47 AM

get a comfy seat, how's your back?

upflying 11-03-2014 10:08 AM

Bags, backrest, Mustang seat and HD touring windshield are on mine for long rides.
I chose Dyna because I did not like the excess of the Touring models..had nothing to do with money. Cruise around town, I strip it off. Can't do that with a Tour bike. I also have more room in the garage.

jaxdwg 11-03-2014 03:25 PM

It's an 02 wideglide with 117k on it and it has been all over the country. The longest one shot ride was 4800 mi in 10 days. It is the same as a super glide except for the front end and it performs great on long runs and is very comfy. I did change the seat to a mustang vintage and I put 1/2" longer-than stock rear progressive shocks to make it even nicer and not drag so much in the corners---love it still

07_Dyna 11-05-2014 05:59 AM

I came to the FXD from a Honda st-1300 - a tourer, if ever there was one. I'm old. 50 miles on that Honda and my butt hurt like he77! Stock FXD I can ride 100 miles...

It's for sure the motor does not care what you do - putt to WalMart, or Los Angeles. Harleys have come a long, long way since the AMF days :)

I have found that comfort on any bike depends on RELAXING, as you ride. If your muscles are flexed all the time, it's going to hurt eventually. I have to purposely relax my legs 'cause they want to grip the bike. If I don't I pay the price. It's hard for me to stay relaxed.

If the Dyna has a problem, it's the "stepped" seat. In my day the seats on those triumphs and Nortons were flat as a board, resulting in the rider being able to move around. Not on the Dyna - you sit HERE, or not at all. Just a little range of motion on the seat sure would help but it seems that looks are more important.

The bike is locked up in the shed. The misery of winter is here. 5 months without hearing that v-twin grumble. Woe is me!

IdahoHacker 11-05-2014 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by IllusionBlue (Post 13383806)
get a comfy seat, how's your back?

Originally Posted by jaxdwg (Post 13384818)
...I did change the seat to a mustang vintage...---love it still

Originally Posted by 07_Dyna (Post 13389461)
I came to the FXD from a Honda st-1300 - a tourer, if ever there was one. I'm old. 50 miles on that Honda and my butt hurt like he77! ...If the Dyna has a problem, it's the "stepped" seat. In my day the seats on those triumphs and Nortons were flat as a board, resulting in the rider being able to move around. Not on the Dyna - you sit HERE, or not at all. Just a little range of motion on the seat sure would help but it seems that looks are more important....

Once I started taking longer rides, it quickly became apparent that the stock seat wasn't gonna cut it. I went to the Mustang Wide Vintage Solo that's in my sig pic, and what a difference. I'm planning on a 2,000 mile roundtripper in May.

Can't wait. :icon_banana:

dirtdobber 11-05-2014 04:41 PM

The super glide has a good platform for a solo touring bike if your young enough or in good shape.
This is how I see it, okay.
Being 64 and having uncle author I am unable to do it on one of our Dyana bikes.
300 miles is the best I can do on them. Not as smooth as my touring bikes. Sorry.
My trips are usually around 2,000 miles and do several a year.When I was around 40 I would not have thought about it I would just do it.

Great08 11-06-2014 08:06 AM

I've had my '08 SuperG since new. It currently has 62,000 miles, and I enjoy it as much now as when I first got it. Had some performance stuff done, but for comfort and distance riding, the best investments were forward controls, solo Mustang seat, and windshield.