Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Is Super Glide suitable for long distances? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/157424-is-super-glide-suitable-for-long-distances.html)

theSpartan 10-07-2007 05:18 AM

Is Super Glide suitable for long distances?

I am planning on buying a Harley and sticking to it, not buying something for a few months and then moving up,

as far it concerns the looks i can say that i am in love with Super Glide (it has to be a silver engine!! :D)
besides riding it in the city, i will also ride it for long distances whenever i have the chance,
so is Super Glide good enough for long distances??

Touring bikes are too big and too expensive for me and besides i dont really like them

b5mac 10-07-2007 06:43 AM

RE: Is Super Glide suitable for long distances?

This past summer I took an 1100 mile trip on my Super Glide. It was great even though I had to ride through a few thunderstorms. I would ride until I neededto fill up the tank and walk around for a few minutes and then ride another tank full. I rode 550 miles on Friday and 550 miles on Sunday. If you have your bike set up so that it's comfortable to you then long trips won't be a problem.

06WideGlide 10-07-2007 06:48 AM

You bet, a Super Glide is a fine long distance ride. I bought a new Super Glide in 1997 and road it until 2005 when I moved to my current Wide Glide. On both bikes I added a windshield. With throwover saddlebags and a T-Bag, I regularly did 3-5,000 mile trips on my Superglide. My Super also had forward controls and Stage I performance additions (air cleaner, SE exhaust, carb rejet).

There was a good article in American Rider magazine within the last year or so on outfiting a Super Glide for touring.

That said, this past summer I purchased a 1990 Ultra Classic to ride with my 9 year old daughter. I definitely understand why people buy baggers now and really like this bike on trips. I ride the bagger with the family and the WG when I travel with the boys.

Steve

Psycho 10-07-2007 06:48 AM

ORIGINAL: theSpartan

I am planning on buying a Harley and sticking to it, not buying something for a few months and then moving up,

as far it concerns the looks i can say that i am in love with Super Glide (it has to be a silver engine!! :D)
besides riding it in the city, i will also ride it for long distances whenever i have the chance,
so is Super Glide good enough for long distances??

Touring bikes are too big and too expensive for me and besides i dont really like them

Absolutely.

Uncle Scrooge 10-07-2007 07:05 AM

It is just fine for one-up touring, but a little cramped for two-up.

bikerdog134 10-07-2007 07:10 AM

only way to tell is to ride one . lots of people change the seat and/or bars for more comfort. as for reliability. no problem great riding bike

dlstanf2 10-07-2007 08:03 AM

The Dyna is awesome! I have mine setup afor me and can do about 500 miles a day. What's good about the Dyna is that you can add bags, windshield, etc. for your trip and then remove these items fairly easily for your around town and local runs.

voyager1 10-07-2007 08:09 AM

yes and no. depends on you age,physical shape ... with a few mods like seat and a couple others add on's. it will do a fine job...

WildBillAce2 10-07-2007 08:41 AM

Rode 300 miles yesterday without any problems at all...

AndyV2000 10-07-2007 09:16 AM

Unequivocably yes! I get in at least two longer (one - two week) rides each summer, any where from 3000 to 5000 miles; usually averaging over 500 miles per day. I only ride long distance solo.