Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob - Brakes Upgrade Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 PM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Street Bob - Brakes Upgrade Anyone?

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

ORIGINAL: vladt

The stock brakes will stop you eventually, but when it comes to riding bikes, I want to know that I've done my outmost to stop in a shortest distance possible in the event of an emergency. I am a little bemused that so many guys spend big dollars on the looks and hardly anyone here done a major brake upgrade on SB. Nothing wrong with former, but the later is certainly more important IMHO.

Cheers
Vlad
Sorry, I did don't mean to argue................ and you are correct. Given what the Dynas are capable of in the corners, etc. it is reasonable to expect, maybe HD would put dual disk on the front. Maybe offer an upgrade as an option.

I don't think the brakes would do most of us older farts much good over 100 mph, cause of the reaction time (speaking for myself)

DougJ
Harley has sold bikes with dual front brakes in the past (FXDS, FXDX, FXDXT to name a few). They didn't sell well and were discontinued. At one point they also sold a dual-disc kit for Dynas (except wide-glide). Guess what, nobody bought it - discontinued. The Fat Bob has dual discs, so there's that option (although I think that bike is the ugliest Harley ever). There are plenty of other options out there though, just none from HD. Most involve upgrading the single disc (better calipers with more pistons) rather than going to duals because it's more of a traditional cruiser look. Start with the Custom Chrome catalog.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:46 PM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikedmeyer

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

The stock brakes will stop you eventually, but when it comes to riding bikes, I want to know that I've done my outmost to stop in a shortest distance possible in the event of an emergency. I am a little bemused that so many guys spend big dollars on the looks and hardly anyone here done a major brake upgrade on SB. Nothing wrong with former, but the later is certainly more important IMHO.

Cheers
Vlad
Sorry, I did don't mean to argue................ and you are correct. Given what the Dynas are capable of in the corners, etc. it is reasonable to expect, maybe HD would put dual disk on the front. Maybe offer an upgrade as an option.

I don't think the brakes would do most of us older farts much good over 100 mph, cause of the reaction time (speaking for myself)

DougJ
Harley has sold bikes with dual front brakes in the past (FXDS, FXDX, FXDXT to name a few). They didn't sell well and were discontinued. At one point they also sold a dual-disc kit for Dynas (except wide-glide). Guess what, nobody bought it - discontinued. The Fat Bob has dual discs, so there's that option (although I think that bike is the ugliest Harley ever). There are plenty of other options out there though, just none from HD. Most involve upgrading the single disc (better calipers with more pistons) rather than going to duals because it's more of a traditional cruiser look. Start with the Custom Chrome catalog.
http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...yna-Models.htm

Old 11-25-2007, 07:39 PM
GentlemanBiker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tat2u

Hi Guys,

he is talking 100 KPH by the way not MPH

Vladt is an Aussie like me.

Right. Obviously, better brakes are better at any speed, but I wouldn't worry too much about 100 km. However, there are lots of people who post here who claim to run at 90-100 mph regularly. Duals up front seem like they'd be a good idea!

Too bad H-D discontinued the Dyna Sport. It had duals. Brakes on V-Rods are great even in the pre-Brembo model years. I seem to recall someone posted about putting a Bembro caliper on a Dyna. It required replacing the wire wheel with a cast or billet one.

Another thought on brakes: why hasn't H-D tried putting the perimeter-style front brake like they put on Buell's on a Harley? Think about it: you'd get excellent braking while still being able to have a good--looking wheel. When it comes down to it, that's a big reason you don't see duals. They obscure the wheel. With a perimeter brake, that's far less of an issue.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:57 PM
vladt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the most forward path to an upgrade would be replacing the caliper and a disc with a higher performance setup. Whether you are riding at 100km/hr or 50 km/hr if you had to perform an emergency braking, no brakes are powerful enough!

Has anyone used Brembo or PM caliper/disc comboin the past?

Cheers
Vlad

Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The newer Dyna and the V-Rod share the same fork parts. If you have a cast wheel, the Brembo caliper is a simple bolt on upgrade. It's been done before, and reported here more than once over the last year or so. All results are positive.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Crazy03
Advanced

Ok well Ive gone back and forth with this subject for some time now. It is amazing that in a Harley community people think these bikes are just awsome from the factory. Yes they are great bikes but hate to say it they are **** performance wise. I too came from riding sport bikes and got the dyna so I could throw it around, anyone that has every riden a real sports bike 2005 or new 1000 liter bike knows the Harleys perform like ****. You go to the dealer and ask the question you did all you will get is dumb asses that have no idea about performance. They can tell you that Harley came out with another crome oeice and that maybe you can buy that. There is my rant here are the facts you will need. Sorry

You willneed the lower legs off of a VROD, and I used the brembo calipers from a Vrodget them from Zanotti HD(Google it)You can use you stock front wheel, if you look at it, it is ready to bolt on another disk. You will need the master brake cylinder from a touring bike to hold the extra fliud, and a T-line to split the lines from the new dual disk. You can buy aftermarket rotors or just go with some from the Road King. I am in the process ofdoing this right now and will post a pic when Iam done. I also ordered a Brembocaliper for the rear with the bracket from QTM, you can google them also. Ihope this helps. I have been pulling my hair out with this one for awhile. I even tried seeing if the new fatbob lower leg will fit and no one can answer me. But if you want to buy that chromepiece we can order you that. Hope this helps

Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Crazy03
Advanced

I forgot to say there is amagazine called Heavy Duty Cycles from Australia. They did a dual disk on a new dyna, but they used the stock stuff and just welded the two small tabs on the lower slider then bolted up the caliper. I ordered the magazine from them but it was alittle expensive, I think about $50 for the back issue.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to do this, but I have another newbie question. (been riding for over 30 years off an on, but I know I am still a newbie in fact.)

I have donehard stops fromhigh speed and I lockedthe brakesup. (Regained control, no realharm done.) Wouldn't "better" brakes justLOCK me up easier and not stop me any shorter?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:25 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,802 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I am going to actively research the idea of either upgraded single rotor

or dual rotor over the next few weeks and report back with the results.

Cheers
Vlad
Keep us posted on your research Vlad.

Lotsa ifs ands and buts
when it comes to upgrading thesqueezers on the06 up Dynas.

I think the main reason HD doesn't offer the dual disc package
for these machines is due to the fact that the cast wheels
have no mounting provision for the right side rotor.
Limiting the market.

But, now the FatBob has the right side slider for caliper mounting.
Should be bolt on (two shiny black lowers - get out the sandpaper).

Brembos and others will work,
and a larger diameter disc is of course a big plus.

There are many ways to skin this cat.

I definately want to and need to improve this on my machine.

Curb appeal is of no interest to me,
but, there are a lot of other things getting the the way -
lack of time
lack of frogskins
interest in making my machine faster.

mud

Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Crazy03
...But if you want to buy that chromepiece we can order you that....
That's really funny :->

and so true!

Quick Reply: Street Bob - Brakes Upgrade Anyone?