Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* HOW TO * under fifty bux *

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 PM
OsoFat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod QD Windsheild to reduce buffeting (fxdf)

The buffeting was causing blurred vision at about 65mph or so, with a fullface helmet. I thought about adding lowers, but hate the look. Thought about kicking out the lower windshield mounts, but I'm not much of a fabricator. So, I carefully drilled a couple of holes and laid the windshield back. It's not 100% cure, but I can easily go 85mph with very little head shake. And the windshield looks better on the bike.
Attachment 26376

You'll need to drill a 1/2" hole under the windshield upper mounting slot, 1/2" from the back edge.
Attachment 26377
Tape the brackets. Mark a centerline where the bracket will fit above the QD attachment.
Attachment 26380

Mark the center of the 1/2" hole, 1/2" from the back edge of the bracket. Use a centerpunch to mark the spot. Tape both brackets securely together, back-to-back, and mount in a vise to ensure the holes will line up perfectly, then drill a pilot hole. Carefully drill a 1/2" hole for the original bolt. Clean it up and remount the windshield.
Attachment 26382
Attachment 26383
I could only attach 5 pics, but I can send more, if you need them.

Bear

Last edited by soldierbot; 04-02-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OsoFat
The buffeting was causing blurred vision at about 65mph or so, with a fullface helmet. I thought about adding lowers, but hate the look. Thought about kicking out the lower windshield mounts, but I'm not much of a fabricator. So, I carefully drilled a couple of holes and laid the windshield back. It's not 100% cure, but I can easily go 85mph with very little head shake. And the windshield looks better on the bike.

You'll need to drill a 1/2" hole under the windshield upper mounting slot, 1/2" from the back edge.

Tape the brackets. Mark a centerline where the bracket will fit above the QD attachment.

Mark the center of the 1/2" hole, 1/2" from the back edge of the bracket. Use a centerpunch to mark the spot. Tape both brackets securely together, back-to-back, and mount in a vise to ensure the holes will line up perfectly, then drill a pilot hole. Carefully drill a 1/2" hole for the original bolt. Clean it up and remount the windshield.

I could only attach 5 pics, but I can send more, if you need them.

Bear

So that doesn't aim the wind coming from the top of the windshield to hit you directly in the head?? The reason I ask is because all my buffeting was coming from the top of the windshield. My windshield was always set barely above the head light and I get nothing from down there and when I would put my hand above the windshield the buffeting went away so all I did was tilt my windshield forward a half inch and the wind was diverted over my head and no more buffeting. It's not a 100% either and I get no buffeting with a full face and very little with a half! Most of my wind in the face comes off of my shins. Just asking!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:20 PM
XKROME
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I cured my buffeting problem by selling the shield to one of the Sporty guys.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:23 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by XKROME
I cured my buffeting problem by selling the shield to one of the Sporty guys.
I hear you on that, but these bugs suck out here in farm land! The 3inch splat on my full face was the final straw.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
I hear you on that, but these bugs suck out here in farm land! The 3inch splat on my full face was the final straw.
Worse is that they taste really bad. It can take nearly a whole can of beer to wash out the taste of a big one.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 AM
OsoFat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JaronB
So that doesn't aim the wind coming from the top of the windshield to hit you directly in the head??
I'm 6'1" and with the windshield just above the headlight I get a steady stream of air hitting the top of my helmet, but it's not turbulent like what was coming around and under the shield. I have room to raise it another 2-3 inches, and that should take all the wind off my helmet, but I like having some air, and that might open it up too much for wind over the headlight. I only use the windshield in the winter or for long trips, so it'll come off in another month or so.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:30 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by OsoFat
I'm 6'1" and with the windshield just above the headlight I get a steady stream of air hitting the top of my helmet, but it's not turbulent like what was coming around and under the shield. I have room to raise it another 2-3 inches, and that should take all the wind off my helmet, but I like having some air, and that might open it up too much for wind over the headlight. I only use the windshield in the winter or for long trips, so it'll come off in another month or so.
Well it must be nice to take off the windshield! It get warm enough out here, but the bug are rediculous and boy do they come out when it's warm. So a steady stream to my head would = target!! It might be worth a shot though to put the QDs back on the original bracket, tilt it forward and keep as low as you have. It should help with both top and bottom!!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Grind
Road Master
Default Homemade riser extensions

Well, shopmade, really. I found a stainless tube laying around the shop where I work. I cut two pieces down to about 2½" and squared the ends. It's a piece of scrap I found in the shop.

Thanks to Loner Industries for the tip, you can get a 12"L x 1"OD x 5/8"ID stainless tube here for less than $50

Old 02-12-2009, 04:36 PM
condition001
Cruiser

i already started a thread of my own for this, but as suggested, it fits here:

"okay, so we don't all have the change for a bike jack/center stand. heres one that i made from stuff that i had lying around: a 2x4, a hinge, a couple square feet of plywood, and some nails/screws. cost if you dont do much carpentry, maybe $20. maybe.

what i do is slide it under the scoot when the scoot is on the jiffy stand. position it far enough back on the frame that it wont slip off or pinch the clutch cable (which fits between the two upper bunches of 2x4), grab a handful of front brake, and right the bike, leaning it to the right. i then reach down and flip up the hinged part, and set the bike down on it. voila, front wheel off the ground and scoot is level.

Be careful. this isn't for anyone who can't lean their bike over in a controlled way. its just a little thing i use to help with my bike work. Also, make SURE the jiffy stand is down all the way BEFORE you attempt to take the bike off of this stand.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Slipstrm
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my Ignition switch relocation on an 07 FXD Dash.
1 7/8 holesaw is a perfect fit, didnt need drill press as the pilot bit kept it running straight and true.
purchased the switch at BK Riders $22 shipped.
Since my AME kit wont allow use of the fork lock, I am wiring the power thru the neck switch to allow me to kill power to the dash mounted switch for added security, when I turn the neck switch to the ACC position it will open the power circuit to the dash mounted switch and apply power to my alarm system. (cut the nub off the neck key and it will come out in any position).
About 2 hours to cut the hole and mount the switch.

Quick Reply: * HOW TO * under fifty bux *