Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Custom" (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Custom" (rant)

i stand corrected

Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM
risdo
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't bother me in the least, either way... "custom" is just a word...

However, I will say this: all of the changes to my bike, I have done myself, with my own hands, within my admittedly limited skills.

I'd much rather do that, than be the guy who purchases a $30,000 turn-key chopper, that he didn't lift a finger to, and proudly rides it around town like it means something.

That's my rant. Y'all can continue, now.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

well said.
Risdo, is that the harley spoiler on your bike?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rockstar_josh

If logic states "custom is anything non-stock" then maybe there should be a better way of describing custom built bikes.
I think you might be onto something there. It's not logic that states that custom is anything non-stock, it's called a dictionary that states it, in so many words. So, by definition, changing something that is "standard" or in this case "stock" by adding or modifying things for the specific needs and/or comfort/taste/use of the customer (rider/owner), you are custom-izing it and therefore it is "custom". Therefore, it would seem appropriate to find a different term to use to differentiate between a customized stock bike and a custom built, 1-off bike. Now, who wants to come up with the new term and mark their place in pop-culture history? [8D]

Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

ORIGINAL: rockstar_josh

If logic states "custom is anything non-stock" then maybe there should be a better way of describing custom built bikes.
I think you might be onto something there. It's not logic that states that custom is anything non-stock, it's called a dictionary that states it, in so many words. So, by definition, changing something that is "standard" or in this case "stock" by adding or modifying things for the specific needs and/or comfort/taste/use of the customer (rider/owner), you are custom-izing it and therefore it is "custom". Therefore, it would seem appropriate to find a different term to use to differentiate between a customized stock bike and a custom built, 1-off bike. Now, who wants to come up with the new term and mark their place in pop-culture history? [8D]
Greg, you answered you own question with this "custom built, 1-off bike". Some people forget that everyone has different skill sets. Some folks can turn a wrench, paint, weld, fabricate, etc., while others just don't have that ability. I can do some, but not all, and being away as long as I have, when I'm home I don't want to spend the time in the garage, I want to spend it with my family and out riding. So, if I have some spare change in my pocket and I can pay someone to bolt on the parts that I chose because I thought they would look good on my bike, then I'm more than happy to.

I personally could care less who did the wrenching, whether it's a guy doing it in his own garage or a tech at a shop. The final product is what catches my eye. Yeah, I had a blast when I "customized" my Ironhead Sportster, and I got great satisfaction out of knowing I did most of the work and design of it myself, I just chose a different route this time around. In the end, it is still my ideas that have gone into my bike. Yeah, others may have some of the same parts, but I can guarantee you won't find another bike like mine.

I think some people spend way too much time worrying about who is the "real customizer" or "real biker".

Old 02-28-2008, 09:44 PM
risdo
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 2002fxdp

well said.
Risdo, is that the harley spoiler on your bike?
No, I didn't like the Harley spoiler. To me, it has a strange shape.

It's the Doss Chin Spoiler, part #701-498, on page 599 in the J&P Cycles 2007 catalog. It doesn't fit the 2007 right; I had to do some cutting with my dremel tool.

http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2007...talog/0601.asp

Old 02-28-2008, 10:30 PM
michaelvs710
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll tell you what craigslist does however have some custom hookers for hourly rates

Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 57springer57

lets just call them harleys
...and let's just ride!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:46 AM
matkiwi
Road Master

ORIGINAL: risdo
It doesn't fit the 2007 right; I had to do some cutting with my dremel tool.
don't you mean 'customising' ?

sorry ... it was just sitting there ... someone had to say it !

Old 02-29-2008, 06:28 AM
risdo
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: matkiwi

ORIGINAL: risdo
It doesn't fit the 2007 right; I had to do some cutting with my dremel tool.
don't you mean 'customising' ?

Actually, the term I would've used is more like "appalachian engineering"...

Quick Reply: "Custom" (rant)