Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost there Fat Bob (inapproprietly posted in General)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Bat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost there Fat Bob (inapproprietly posted in General)

Originally posted in the wrong area (i.e. General)

Well, just a little more to go. Salesman needs sign-off from manager for deal and I should be good to go. Trading in very nice excellent to me Honda VTX 1300C owned less than 6 months (ouch), for the anticipated love and excitement of a Harley. Night trains look good to me, fat boy and others look good to me (Baggers look good, but not for me right now), but the FB caught my eye and all the reviews say it is a good performing and riding/riders bike. I'm working on the following set-up:

Classic Black, forward controls, 103 kit, 204 cams, race tuner, rush 2.25" slip-ons (one of the bigger decision struggles, vs. 2 into ones, thunder headers, etc.; but going for the looks I like and hopefully enough sound and only giving up a few HP and Torque numbers), Boss bags (dealer suggested HD leather bags with bare backs, but said Boss was a good decision also), windvest, mid pegs (alternate foot position for longer trips), QD HD backrest and luggage rack, couple of WG skull items and possibly a leather jacket (vs. my made for style leather jacket that blows in the wind and has useless collar and wrist closures).

A little curious about comfort in regard to handle bar position (no available models to sit on with forward controls, so I might be a little short) possibly needing riser solution (would prefer to keep handle bars vs. changing to street slammers). Alsocurious about engine/exhaust heat (I'm a little heat sensitive - that should open-up a few comments), not sure why they have hole/slots in a heat shield (look cool though).

I'm looking/hoping for the cruiser style that I likewith;a nice ride, some handling ability around curves and twisty sections, a little punch coming out of corners and/or off the line (not racing or hauling ***, just enough to have a little fun and pull ahead of any mini vans), the awesome HD sound/rumble with some volume (love my Hard Krome 3" straights, but my Honda can't sound like the HD's I love the sound of). I think this is the bike for me and hope that my set-up takes care of me for a while. Let me know what you think and thanks for all the help and information I have found here.

RUB – No; implies that I might have money and I certainly do not or I would have the bike already and not be bumming about the hit on the Honda and financing terms.

Poser – No; mini-bike, Suzuki 75, 100, Honda 400, two CB900 Customs, ….., VTX 1300, so not superficial in regard to being a rider. No more or less tough than I act.

I love to ride and I am looking forward to loving to ride my Harley.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain
Default RE: Almost there Fat Bob (inapproprietly posted in General)

Congratulations on the impending arrival and welcome to the Squadron (See Fat Bob Squadron thread). Based on what you have said you are looking for I think you have made an excellent choice. The FXDF is an excellent riding bike, very comfortable, well balanced, peppy, you couldn't ask for more. You'll have to wait and see on the handlebars. I love drag bars and forward controls and if I hadn't gotten the Fat Bob, I would have put them on whatever bike I got. It's just a comfortable position for me. As far as heat goes, you may not have as much of a problem with your upgrades. They come out of the factory running really lean to comply with EPA restrictions so once you get everything done and remapped you shouldn't have as much of a problem with heat as you might leaving it stock.

Have fun and ride safe!!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:12 PM
pappy43
Tourer

Thats an ambitious plan......hope it works out for you.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

One more thing, I talked to Rush directly when I ordered my pipes and they recommended the 2" slip ons for the Fat Bob. My performance guy at the dealer I go to prefers the 1.75's but I went with Rush's recommendation and am very pleased. You may want to talk to Rush before making a decision on the pipes.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

I think you're going to be very happy.

I've had the stock FXFD since November and am very happy. I haven't altered the exhaust; I was happy with the sound from the start, and it has deepened and loudened a bit since then. I've also only the stock engine and no bags, though I've added a bobtail fender luggage rack. Very peppy bike, very good sporty ride (I don't ride hard or aggressively, just like to cruise and enjoy the ride.)

Welcome to the "Squadron"!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Bat
Cruiser

I want it loud (as loud as I can get with slip-ons), but you are right; they said the smaller the baffel the better the performance (backpreasure thing). Tech at dealer agreed. Said go with 2" easier to get tuned/performance and didn't think 2.25" would be much louder. This is tough. I just want the best performance, best sound and looks I like (thunderheader didn't look right to me on the FB). I hope they are loud enough for me.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Medic7594
Intermediate

When I called Rush they recommended the 1.75" with the Race Tuner and SE air cleaner kit. He said it will give me a deep sound. He also said the 2" will give more of a tinny sound. I guess each rep has his own preference.

I'll have my Fat Bob sometime this week or the begining of next week. Candy Red Sunglow with mid controls, Rush 1.75, Race Tuner and SE Air Cleaner.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:53 AM
Skaarsgard
Cruiser

Hey welcome to the Dyna family!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 AM
jdwoodbury
Novice

Making me jealous everyone getting there FB's, mine was supposed to be here end of March......new delivery date mid May. It really sucks here in theUK sometimes [:'(]

Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Gilly
Road Captain

When did you order it JD?

Gilly

Quick Reply: Almost there Fat Bob (inapproprietly posted in General)