Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna appropriate for 1st ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 AM
born2run01
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna appropriate for 1st ride?

Hi all. Looking to start riding. Know I'm missing out. I know I'll lean towards being the more cautious driver, less interested in the turns/tourque/speed and more about the open air ride around town. Have 3rd baby on the way so that'll always outwiegh the need for speed. Not that I can afford at this time, but curious if it's out of whack for someone to have a Street Bob or Fat Bob as their first bike. I have read many threads talking about getting a Sporty or Japanese bike with smaller engine to learn mechanics with first, but many others say if you are going to ridea different style bike shortly after, why buy a Sporty or other smaller bike for a year or so. Same discussion goes for buying a used Sporty vs. a used Bob of course.

Added: I'm also 6'3 so figured a Bob w/ fwd controls would be a better fit than a smaller bike. But what do I know :-)

Anyway, first post and thanks to all who answer.

Jason

Raleigh, NC

Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Dyna appropriate for 1st ride?

Any Dyna model will be perfect.

Sammi

Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 AM
drnw2006
1st Gear

Used 2006 street bob is my first bike. Rode dirt when I was younger. I'v had an awesome 8000 miles sinceI bought the dyna.

Darren

Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you mentioned, a lot of people buy $800 or less 500cc or smaller bikes to learn the mechanics and the basics. After a month of skills refinement and possibly asafety course,they step up to a Harley. Not to say you can't learn on a Dyna,but simple mistakes are costly to repairon a $15,000 bike.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
UNCLE PAT
Cruiser

I bought an 08 BOB for my first REAL bike...I'm 42 and have been riding assorted bikes through out the years......i'm about 6' about 200 lb's.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
OSP1340
Cruiser

My first bike I bought was my SB. I had rode when I was younger but that was it.

I rode around my hood for about a week to get used to it. Just take your time and it will come to you.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you have never ridden a motorcycle then I would advise against starting out on an 850 lb, $15,000 Harley. As others have said, get a used Jap bike that is less expensive to ride and repair if you drop it....I mean when you drop it. If you have ridden previously then get the HD. But in either case take a MSF rider safety course first. JMHO.

And welcome to the forum.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

If you have never ridden a motorcycle then I would advise against starting out on an 850 lb, $15,000 Harley. As others have said, get a used Jap bike that is less expensive to ride and repair if you drop it....I mean when you drop it. If you have ridden previously then get the HD. But in either case take a MSF rider safety course first. JMHO.

And welcome to the forum.
Read you are selling yours, along with all your leathers.

Might be a potential buyer!!!

LOL

Sammi

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

I did most of my learning on Yamaha Enduros as a kid, then rode a Honda 400 around town in my early 20's. That was MANY years ago! Have ridden two up a lot in the interim. I have also taken two MSF courses. When I was able to finally afford to get a bike last year, there was no doubt in my mind it was going to be a Harley. However, if I had not had any prior experience, I don't know that I would have gotten a Harley. My suggestion is this. Go out and take the MSF course now. They have you ride little 250's around the course. If you can ride those little sewing machines which are impossibly balanced and way too small, and do so comfortably and competently, then go ahead and get the Harley. But! When you get the Harley, trailer it home and practice around the neighborhood a lot before heading out into traffic. Maybe even take a skilled riders course on your bike (which I am getting ready to take). They are offered by Harley every now and then. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 AM
bikerdog134
Road Master

started out on a 05 fxdci and never looked back

Quick Reply: Dyna appropriate for 1st ride?