Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Fat Bob fluid requirements (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/220875-fat-bob-fluid-requirements.html)

skiahh 04-15-2008 01:23 AM

Fat Bob fluid requirements

My bike's supposed to be here in just a couple more weeks. I figure I'll do the hard break in method since it makes sense to me. I'm about 75 miles from whre I'm getting the bike, so when I get home, I'll want to change the oil and filter out. Can you Fat Bob owners tell me what grade and how much oil I'll need? And if your manual has a filter part number I can use to cross reference, that would be a big help, too. Thanks!

arnold 04-15-2008 02:20 AM

RE: Fat Bob fluid requirements

your owners manual will tell you, but its 2.5 qt in the crank. 20-50. royal purple, red line, mobil one vtwin, amsoil, or regular mobil one 15-50 all are good oils. HD oil filter is what you want. to the best of my knowledge no other filter meets hd req for that machine.

skiahh 04-15-2008 11:01 AM

Problem is, I don't have the manual yet... I assume that'll come with the bike. That's why I'm asking you guys who have them already!

I want to pre-stock that first oil change so I can do it when I get home from picking up the bike. So... 2.5 quarts of 20-50? All the oils you mentioned are synthetics, but I'm going to stick with dino for the first 1000 miles.

Thanks! I'll have to check on that oil filter; would suck if you have to pay HD prices for a rebadged wix or fram or something.

db252 04-15-2008 11:25 AM

Just an addendum to arnolds post which is totally correct. Full spec for the Fat Bob is a 3 qt oil system but the manual states to add only 2.5 quarts with a oil and filter change due to the fact all the oil won't drain out. When you do the change, add the 2.5, start her up and recheck.

arnold 04-15-2008 11:39 AM

In black the filter is under $7.
I cant advise you on dino, last bike I had that I ran dino on ran valvoline racing 70 in sumer and 60 in the winter.
The other ran 50 wt.

My manual says:
HD multi grade 10-40 below 40 degrees,=cold weather starting under 50=exelent
HD multi grade 20-50 above 40 degrees.=cold weather starting under 50=good
HD regular heavey sae 50 above 60=cold weather starting under 50=poor
HD extra heavy sae 60 above 80=cold weather starting under 50=poor

If that means anything to you.

arnold 04-15-2008 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: db252

Just an addendum to arnolds post which is totally correct. Full spec for the Fat Bob is a 3 qt oil system but the manual states to add only 2.5 quarts with a oil and filter change due to the fact all the oil won't drain out. When you do the change, add the 2.5, start her up and recheck.
You know I never even noticed that, (the part about 3 qt system, just saw the add 2.5) I just poored in 2.5 and it always topped off ok:)

TARTAN2 04-15-2008 04:00 PM

Want to keep this post

skiahh 04-15-2008 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: arnold

In black the filter is under $7.
I cant advise you on dino, last bike I had that I ran dino on ran valvoline racing 70 in sumer and 60 in the winter.
The other ran 50 wt.

My manual says:
HD multi grade 10-40 below 40 degrees,=cold weather starting under 50=exelent
HD multi grade 20-50 above 40 degrees.=cold weather starting under 50=good
HD regular heavey sae 50 above 60=cold weather starting under 50=poor
HD extra heavy sae 60 above 80=cold weather starting under 50=poor

If that means anything to you.

Hmmm... so it's spring here in CO where the weather is, well, psycho. Today, 79*. Tomorrow... rain, thunder. Tomorrow night/Thursday AM... heavy snow. Now, I'm not going to ride the thing in the snow, but I will ride in cold temps. Guess I ought to go with the 20-50 for now... I can add heavier weight oil as the summer progresses. Can you stick with the 20-50 in anything above 40? What do you gain by going to heavier oil in warmer weather? Better cooling for these air cooled engines?

Thanks for the info... keep it coming!

Fatboy1980 02-11-2019 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by arnold (Post 3202742)
You know I never even noticed that, (the part about 3 qt system, just saw the add 2.5) I just poored in 2.5 and it always topped off ok:)

That's for people who don't purge the system when they change their oil. I usually do to try not to let any old gunk build up. If you purge the system then it would require the full 3 qts

DTTJGlide 02-11-2019 02:36 PM

I'm sure he'll be glad to know that, 11 years later!