Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know how Harley stays in busn!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I know how Harley stays in busn!!!

if it's easy i do it if not just pay the man simple

Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 PM
hdfamily
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally like going down the road knowing that i did my own work, but on the same note i only have myself to blame if something goes wrong. I guess its just a matter of how mechanically inclined you are. I think if i had the $ i'd prob still do the work myself if i was capable.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally never touched my bikes for almost 30 years except changing fluids and normal maintenance. Dealerships have done the tires for me, but that's about it.

Never had a Harley, so never got the itch to modify, I was happy with the bikeI bought.

Mid summer of 2007 bought my first Harley. I came to this Forum seeking advice on exhaust and high flow air filter.

That's where it all started.... my addiction, I won't let anyone but me touch the bike. I have modified things on this bike that I only dreamed possible by a rookie mechanic like myself.

I blame this forum for everything! I fool myself into thinking I am almost done with the modifications, while knowing that these areonly temporary modifications until the next whim hits me.

Again, I blame this forum!!!!

Thanks for your help, I could not have done it without this forum.

OK, I'm healed now, thanks again......

(I will be working on my ebay addiction next, is there a forum for that?)

Old 05-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

One word= Labor!
Oh ya...like charging a customer 6 hours labor at $84/per hour for a job thatprobablytook them an hour or so to do. When I left that stealership I felt like a pretty boy in a penitentiary (if ya know what I mean)!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:16 PM
xmarine
Road Master

Joe
I know exactly what you are saying. I have wrenched on everything from J79 turbojets to lawn mowers. Only time I am at the dealer is to buy the part I need. Saw a guy last week buy a Willie G derby cover AND then PAY to have it put on! 5 fasteners, go figure. BUT he looked good in his head to toe leather! I shook my head and LMAO!
xmarine

Old 05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess I'll wade in here.....
I do all my own servicing and mods, I bought a manual and that was well worth it, plus I ask for advice on this forum and the technical forum. I did take it in for a new rear tire.
I don't vote for a BOTM unless the guy/gal has done their own work.
I understand if a guy like Jake just can't get to the work. But I think Dyna owners especially,are inclined to want to work on their bikes.
My feeling is, if you don't want to work on your bike, why'd you buy a Harley?? Seems like that's the fun part.
But, to each his own...who cares, really?

Old 05-13-2008, 03:23 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

"he looked good in his head to toe leather" those are my favorite... or the LIVE TO RIDE guys... man and they only take their bikes out once a month.. makes me laught! but in all honesty, those are the SAME guys i look for when buying used bikes... just babied

Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: hdfamily

I think if i had the $ i'd prob still do the work myself if i was capable.
I am not bragging and I'm by no means rich but if I wanted someone else to do it, I could find the money. I just prefer and find a lot of satisfaction in doing it myself as long as it's something that I don't feel over my head doing and will wind up costing me more money in the long run because I screwed it up.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:32 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

"he looked good in his head to toe leather" those are my favorite... or the LIVE TO RIDE guys... man and they only take their bikes out once a month.. makes me laught! but in all honesty, those are the SAME guys i look for when buying used bikes... just babied
haha! Ain't that the truth! I sure wouldn't buy a used bke from most guys on this forum!

I asked about doing wheelies a while back and got great responses! "Rev it hard and pop the clutch! "Awesome!

Old 05-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Nickrom32
Cruiser

Listen if I had the tools I would work on the bike, I look at iteverday and want to do things myself but if I mess it up I will be pissed. I have a buddy that can build a bike if he wanted to so I take it to his house and watch him work and learn maybe someday I will take on my own bike, he only asked for a fraction of the payment if any at all and he stands behind his work

Quick Reply: I know how Harley stays in busn!!!