Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone thought of relocating the oil tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 AM
timberwolfz28
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone thought of relocating the oil tank?

Admittedly, I haven't explored too far into it and this is my first dyna, so I don't yet know how they have things working currently, but I have thought it through based on what I can see..

I don't like the oil tank under the transmission. I bottom my bike way too often. And while I realize there is a guard there to protect the tank, I also know it means I can never lower my bike further.

Looking at the older EVOs and other bikes that remote mount the tank, I see where the feed and return lines are. The dynas appear to just have a cover over the fiittings where the evo has them exposed.

Is it possible to remove that cover, pull the oil tank, and remote mount a tank out front of the bike in the area where the forward control bracket mounts to the frame?

Something like a round cylinder or whatever, with a fill cap and feed and return lines. there are countless generic tanks out there to be found from JP, etc. After that, it would be a simple matter of running lines from those newly uncovered ports at the bottom right side of the motor and directing them to the tank and back.

This would allow removing the tank from under the frame, and cutting off that guard, letting the bike be lowered another inch with less chance of rubbing.

Worth for all the effort? I dunno, but I think it would be an interesting 'tinker' project. Plus, with the oil tank right out there 'in the wind' it might help reduce temps a bit.

thoughts?

Old 08-10-2008, 12:17 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you bottom out your bike "way too often"... why on earth would you want to lower it?

Old 08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,786 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by timberwolfz28
Admittedly, I haven't explored too far into it and this is my first dyna,
so I don't yet know how they have things working currently,

but I have thought it through based on what I can see..

Worth for all the effort?

I dunno, but I think it would be an interesting 'tinker' project.

Plus, with the oil tank right out there 'in the wind'
it might help reduce temps a bit.

thoughts?
Good luck wolfz.

I doubt it though.

Post pix when you're done.

MyOwnSelf, gotta say forget it.

mud

Old 08-10-2008, 03:28 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread sort of prompts a question that's been in my mind: Dyna's are still dry sump, right Mud? I guess the "integral" oil tank and tranny make the Dyna motor look more like a wet sump motor, even though the oils are separate.