Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy FXDL or build one from a FXD

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:30 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man. I thought this would be an easy question. I expected either "You can get the seat, tach, passenger pegs and highway pegs for less than 3k so get the FXD" or you can't. But you guys brought up things I never considered.

First of all was the engine. I never even considered it. I love the black V&H Big Radius pipes but how would that go with the silver engine?

Next was the Custom. I thought about that but then said if for $1k I'm getting a two-up seat, tank speedo, a little more chrome and spoked wheels why not look at the Low Rider.

You also brought up the fact that if I buy the FXD it will be customized the way I want it. I won't be stuck with what HD wants to give me. I can get a better seat and pegs but as pauletich said, "It might be nice but not a Low Rider."

Most FXD riders bought their bike because it was the most bike for the buck. So I guess my question for the Low Rider riders is, "Why did you think the Low Rider was worth the extra $3k?"

Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The biggest factors you have to decide on IMO are the black & chrome engine, the tank/console, the bar /riser/gauge setup, and the fork rake. You have to decide what is important to you and choose between the three (FXD, FXDC, FXDL). If you like the fat Wide Glide type tank and are OK with the silver engine but want more chrome, the FXDC is the one. If you want the black on chrome engine and like the LR tank/gauge and riser setup, the LR is the one. If you hate the bar mounted speedo like some do, stay away from the SG. The wheels are another issue. The SG has cast wheels, the LR gives you a choice of cast or laced, and the SG has two different laced choices I think. Some things are easy and cheap to change, but others (like the engine color and tank/gauges) are not.

That's a long way of saying that you have to decide what you want to end up with. Building a LR out of a SG is not a good choice IYAM because of the speedo, engine color, and tank console with the tach. But jmpancoast has a unique ride that I like better than a typical LR, and he did it himself. It's all about what you want....the bad part is you might change your mind 4 times during the process.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:32 AM
first dyna 07
Road Master

BUY the FXD I did

Old 09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
DGDyna
Tourer

In the Army there is a saying you learn when you get your rifle, "There are many like it but this one is mine" Well, there are many Super Glided out there but as I customize the one I get, I can say "but this one is mine!"

I'll talk to others and get their opinion on the good and bad of what they've done. When I get done customizing it, if ever, I'll have MY bike and I'll enjoy doing it. Now I have to figure out a way to buy it all!

Thanks for the input. This is a great site.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=DGDyna;3881505]When I get done customizing it, if ever, I'll have MY bike and I'll enjoy doing it.
QUOTE]

You already get it.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Streets of Fire
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anything with 2 wheels that you like is awesome! I have a lowrider and love it.. the little detail when you walk around the bike (chrome, tac, etc.) is what makes it for me. I just bought a new headlight and one of these days will put it on to get rid of the only thing I don't like about my bike, the headlight lid.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 PM
70mach1
Road Master

LOW RDER all the way .....

Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 PM
70mach1
Road Master
Talking

LOW RIDER all the way ,,
You wont regret it ....

Old 08-30-2009, 12:58 AM
09B29
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Royce
DGDyna - I agree with dewalt-2 and ZeroFiveFour on the silver engine. It does look great and doesn't show dirt and grime very much.

As for the seat comfort on the FXDC, it's not too bad, but it's not that great either. If you're on short rides, it doesn't matter that much. Right now for longer rides I'm using the Butt Buffer that I had on my '99 1200C. It was a necessity on the Sporty until I bought a Mustang seat. In the future I plan on sending my stock seat off to Mean City Cycles (http://www.meancitycycles.com/) to have some of their memory foam installed. It's relatively cheap (certainly cheaper than a Mustang, Corbin, La Pera or H-D seat) and if you decide to buy a different seat, you don't have that much money invested. I don't think that you'll find a significant difference between the FXDC and FXDL seats as they're both stock H-D.

I agree on the silver motor
I was hesitant
Had an Ultra
Black motor that was peeling and bubbling
and I have seen the grey screamin eagle motors that are starting to peel

i thought the silver would be harder to clean

but it is not
Mequires car wash
looks like new everytime

i am sold on silver motors
and they dont peel

my 2 cents

Old 08-30-2009, 04:38 AM
Rebel78
Road Captain
Default I say FXDC

Go for the Lowrider & then start to customize it the way you like. I spent over 5 grands so far on my FXDB & I still cant stop!!

Quick Reply: Buy FXDL or build one from a FXD