Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wider fender for Narrow Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:40 AM
jpool
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wider fender for Narrow Glide

I'm planning to replace the stock size 100mm/19" front tire on my '05 FXD with a wider 120mm/19" tire. However, the front fender brackets won't clear a 20mm wider tire, and the stock fender would look too narrow with the wider tire anyway.

The bike is my daily commuter, so I'd like to continue running some kind of front fender for the rainy days. However, after looking at the aftermarket catalogs, I haven't seen anything that looks like it would mount nicely without much fabrication.

Does anyone have any recommendations on wider fenders for the narrow glide front end? I'm going for a bobber style, so the fender shouldn't be too massive. I've also been entertaining the idea of welding some Softail fender directly to a fork brace, if I can't find anything that would mount to the stock fender mounts.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:40 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

I think I remember JRK5892 saying he put a Fatbob front fender on his bob, so you may want to pm him. I'd kinda like to know if it is a straight bolt-on or not. I know the bolts line the same vertical direction as mine but don't know if the forks are the same width apart or not.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 AM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I thought I saw someone who put a 120 on his street bob and used the original fender. It was tight, but it fit without any problems. Is there a difference between in the fenders in the FXD and the street bob?

I will see if I can find the post with the guy who used the stock fender.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 AM
jpool
Stage III

Thanks for the comments. I checked with JRK5892, and he had cut off the stock fender mount, and riveted it to the Fat Bob fender to be able to mount it... so not exactly a bolt-on. I think the clearance with the stock fender depends on the tire profile. There's no extra 20mm with the 100/19 Avon I'm currently running, but some other brand of tire might be different.

I guess I'll stop by at the dealer with my tape measure, in search of a suitable donor. If that doesn't work out, I could also bend the stock fender mounts a bit to make them clear the tire. I'm just wondering if the stock fender would still serve its purpose in rain, if the tire is sticking out from underneath it.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
fixxr
Road Captain
Default Front fender size

I changed the front of my 05 FXDCI with a mid- glide front.I now have the opt of a 1"wider frender. The cost of the kit was $450.(all chrome)EZ to do.
Originally Posted by jpool
I'm planning to replace the stock size 100mm/19" front tire on my '05 FXD with a wider 120mm/19" tire. However, the front fender brackets won't clear a 20mm wider tire, and the stock fender would look too narrow with the wider tire anyway.

The bike is my daily commuter, so I'd like to continue running some kind of front fender for the rainy days. However, after looking at the aftermarket catalogs, I haven't seen anything that looks like it would mount nicely without much fabrication.

Does anyone have any recommendations on wider fenders for the narrow glide front end? I'm going for a bobber style, so the fender shouldn't be too massive. I've also been entertaining the idea of welding some Softail fender directly to a fork brace, if I can't find anything that would mount to the stock fender mounts.