Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True-Track

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Blinkerfluid
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armybrat02
Ok I just got off of the phone with true-track. Heres how we are going to work it. Call or email them to order. When your ordering give them the code HDF39995 to get the group buy discount. That should include the shipping cost as well. (from what I got out of the email.)

Thanks
Steve
Thank you for doing this! I just got off the phone from ordering mine.

I don't do much hard riding but sometimes corners can sneak up on you and I absolutely hate surprises. Especially when they can mean a loss of skin.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 AM
docsg
Tourer

Ordered the TT late on Monday (they were open on MLK Day) and got it on Thursday--priority mail. Two days from CA to AL. A little pricey (even with the HDF discount) but very well made and high quality. I've done most of the "bolt on stuff" to my bike myself so I will give it a try. I have a friend whose skills are close to the HD techs (for what that is worth) and will help if I get into a bind. I have downloaded all the posts with installation suggestions from those who have installed the TT on their bikes. One of the posts said the installation instructions leave a little to be desired and some to the imagination and I have to agree. I need a rear tire soon and probably should wait and have the rear unit installed then as I hear it is easier with the rear tire removed. I will post how I feel they helped (or not) when I get a chance to ride.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:26 AM
docsg
Tourer

Follow up--installed my TT Monday (1/26). The front went smooth but the back was a bitch. I got into a little trouble lining up the rear mounting bolts so I loaded the bike on my trailer and took it to the dealership. I have a great relationship with on of the techs there and he said to bring it in and he would get to it immediately. I had already removed the pipes and belt guard. My pipes are not HD so the mounting plate covered the area I needed to get to to install the rear bracket. He pushed the bike back to the service area as soon as I got there and let me watch (and help a little) with the install. When I left, one hour later (and $65 lighter), the bike was all back together. I'm glad I took it to them as he had to tweak the rear brake line and rethreat the female threads on the rear motor mount and I didn't want to tackle that. What surpised me was that the dealership (and they are great people) was like a ghost town. Only one person was working the accessory area and only one in parts and it is a big dealership. There was only three techs and one service writer working that day and the bays were basically empty with the exception of one or two bikes. I hate it for them as this is a really good dealer who bends over backward to give good service--not cheap, but you get your money's worth. I don't feel they have ever stuck it to me in any way.

Quick question for any of you who have installed the True-Track. My bike has always had a slight (but noticable) vibration at around 55-60 mph--then smooths out considerably at 65+. After the installation the vibration seemed to increase just a little more. It may be more if my imagination as I hadn't rode the bike in almost a month. Did any of you experience a change in vibration after your install? I can't tell if the handling changed that much as I have had a chance to ride it through some "twisties."

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any comments regarding your install--and I take my hat off to those of you who competed the install on your own. Guess, I'm not the "wrench" I thought I was and the instructions SUCKED!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by docsg
Quick question for any of you who have installed the True-Track. My bike has always had a slight (but noticable) vibration at around 55-60 mph--then smooths out considerably at 65+. After the installation the vibration seemed to increase just a little more. It may be more if my imagination as I hadn't rode the bike in almost a month. Did any of you experience a change in vibration after your install? I can't tell if the handling changed that much as I have had a chance to ride it through some "twisties."

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any comments regarding your install--and I take my hat off to those of you who competed the install on your own. Guess, I'm not the "wrench" I thought I was and the instructions SUCKED!
Well done for crisis managing your project so well!

I fitted a TT kit to my wife's Dyna and one of the rear brackets was a b1tch! I had to remove two bolts and fit them the other way round which tested me to the limit, then get the bracket in place - a mallet helped!

I also have a TT kit on my Glide. I have deliberately ridden that with the stabilizer link removed, to try the before and after, and did detect a difference in engine sensation. But I don't find it a problem, 5,000 miles later! I haven't tried the same thing with the Dyna, but could not tell much difference in vibration.

What is very different is the way the Dyna (and Glide) feel and ride at all times, which is a great improvement. I hope you find the same?

Here's hoping your local dealer is OK. Mine usually offers reduced labour charges off season, so to anyone thinking of having anything done, give your dealer some work!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Gearhead383
Intermediate

Installed my TT about a month ago. I took it slow and documented my progress with pictures. I had to remove my lower exhaust pipe and lower belt guard. Aside from that, I thought it went pretty easy... time consuming, but easy. I did relocat my rear brake line, but that was a no problem.
I finally got to take it for a ride last week. I did notice my foot pegs vibrate pretty good at 2200-2300 RPM. Above or below that seems fine.
Unfortunately, once the snow and ice melted, it left the roads pretty sandy so I was unable to "ride" the bike with any real enthusiasm. I guess I'll wait for spring to give it a real test ride to see the difference in handling.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:58 PM
docsg
Tourer

"gbrown" and "gearhead383"--thanks for your replies. They were VERY helpful. I have only ridden about 30 miles (country highway) since the install so I will give it a little more time.

BTW, gearhead383, where did you relocate your brake line to? The tech simplY put some pressure on it and bent it slightly out of the way but the clearence is still minimal. But, he said that would not be a problem. The rpms you mentioned are exactly where mine experiences the most vibration. It's "sweet spot" starts at about 65 mph.

Side note: I had an 01' FXDL that was as smooth as glass. I sold it an got an 05' FXDLI. It would buzz you at all rpms and felt like my 94' Sportster. I complained to the dealer and at 2500 miles took it back to them and said they could have it. They then called the MOCO and tried all kinds of fixes--new motor mounts, etc. That still didn't fix the problem. The service writer then fought with the regional rep to get the engine changed out--not rebuilt. It seems that there was a fly wheel seperation issue in 05' that would cause vibration way above normal even with the rubber mounts. I was sick but they offered me an 06' at cost and would take mine in if I didn't like the new setup. Well, I kept the 05' (as I would have lost a ton due to the accessories) and the improvement was great. I would have liked the new 6 speed but am very happy with the 88-5 speed. I have always been cognizant of vibration as I rode my friends 05' Road King and it was much smoother. But, I'm vertically challenged (5' 8") and love the looks of the LR (all Dynas) to the RK.

Again, thanks to both of you for your replies--THIS FORUM IS GREAT!!!

Last edited by docsg; 01-28-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Blinkerfluid
Intermediate

I got mine in the mail today. They shipped it the same day I ordered. Great guys to deal with!

I may mount it this weekend. No hurry, though. Snow on the ground and salt on the roads. I hate winter.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Gearhead383
Intermediate

[BTW, gearhead383, where did you relocate your brake line to? The tech simplY put some pressure on it and bent it slightly out of the way but the clearence is still minimal. But, he said that would not be a problem. The rpms you mentioned are exactly where mine experiences the most vibration. It's "sweet spot" starts at about 65 mph.[/quote]

Well, actually it's not the brake line itself that was in the way but the brake lamp switch and wires. I didn't feel comfortable bending the line so I just rotated the line out of the way. I will post a pic when I get home incase others are courious as to what I did.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

I went to my dealer yesterday as well, to pick up a replacement saddlebag disconnect I ordered, a 40 mile round trip in a nice brisk 52 degree weather, and it was a ghost town. I was the only customer there. Makes me fear for their health. Though my last trip there, on a Saturday morning a few weeks back, they seemed busy.

Saw a beautiful Rocker and an awesome Muscle.

I asked the parts counter about True Track. They'd never heard of that or any other manufacturer of engine stabilizers. They had never heard of a need for one, didn't seem to realize a problem existed. Not confidence inspiring in that one parts team member! I will probably talk to the service manager about it at some point, I'm interested in ordering one and an install and won't do it myself. I've retired from twenty-five plus years of state government work in shipping/receiving/supply, human resources and then facilities management program administration. Though I'd spent years building machinery before coming to Texas, those days and my tools were long ago.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Robert Le Gras
I asked the parts counter about True Track. They'd never heard of that or any other manufacturer of engine stabilizers. They had never heard of a need for one, didn't seem to realize a problem existed.
I think the industry in stabilizers is quite small, patching up something the factory probably denies exists! There are actually about a dozen brands of these things, although most of them for baggers. Some of the manufacturers, like TrueTrack, are quite small and probably deal mostly direct with their customers. If you are interested there seems to be a discount scheme available, if you search here on HDF for it. I bought kits for 2 bikes before that became available - doh!

Quick Reply: True-Track